Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Data Classes with Chris Brown of Making Sense of Squiggly Lines

I attended Chris' Driver Coaching with Data and Video class in Danbury, CT yesterday and it was excellent. I've known Chris for a while and many people know him from his work at MoTeC. He authored one of the best data books "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines" and has presented a ton of classes over the years.

When I saw this class, I jumped at the opportunity to attend. Chris did an awesome job presenting the material, provided great handouts, lots of examples, and gave a great overview of how to use data to see what the driver is doing and needs to do better. He also showed some great extra material like notes on performance he sends to drivers and had some great anecdotes that went with the data. He had great examples from lots of different cars and tracks and didn't miss a beat going off on tangents to look at more data or attendee's specific problems.

I learned a bunch from Chris and his knowledge on ABS systems, both motorsport specific and street, was pretty amazing. I learned a ton on ABS systems and can't wait to put it to work!

He has another class scheduled in Utah in August, but said he's open to more dates if enough people are interested. I'm going to work on getting one in the Northeast in the fall. Details on the classes he has going right now are at http://squigglylines.com/training-schedule/

If you can get to a class that he puts on, need data help, coaching, or info, Chris is a great resource!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Matt, I heard similar comments from the Danbury meeting. I am going to try to get Chris to come to Florida late this year.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Bill Farrell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry: Please advise on the Florida Dates - I'd love to attend !
Old 05-29-2017, 06:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Investigating having Chris come to VIR in the Fall for MoTeC specific training. Some of the dealer training MoTeC supplied when I first got on board was presented by Chris, and while there are plenty of resources for other systems, Chris is at the top for helping folks leverage the incredible power and configuration options of MoTeC, for sure!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Chris' Book

Making Sense of Squiggly Lines is a great read. Initially, being more of a Liberal Arts Major than an engineer, I was concerned that the book would be a tough read, NOT the case, I couldn't put it down... this is a great entry point into Data Logging. You finish the book, you'll "Get It". If you don't already have a Data Logger, you'll have to have one....AiM will get you into the data logging world for $499 for the SOLO. No connections required, runs on its internal batteries that you charge. If you have a 2004 or later Porsche car, you may want the SOLO DL where you can integrate your OBD 2 data into your graphics. You can do it with the 1995 to 1998 993 cars, but the sampling data is very slow. All we were able to get was as a "bonus" was throttle position and RPM....can't say much about the 1999 to 2003 911 cars. Bit rumor has it the 2004 and later 911 car's OBD 2 provides reams of parameters.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM
TKOGTO
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would have loved to make the Danbury class as it is less than 30 minutes away but never knew about it.

Thanks for posting and count me in for next class in CT or NY.

Quick Reply: Data Classes with Chris Brown of Making Sense of Squiggly Lines