Notices

Aim Pressure sensor reading negative

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:38 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Aim Pressure sensor reading negative

I am having a problem with an Aim 0 to 150 PSI oil pressure sensor reading -18 PSI when the engine is off. It is an MXL2 dash, is there a calibration setting for the sensor or is the sensor bad.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

No, and no. The "rest" voltage in mV can vary slightly. If you want to send it back to KA sensors in Massachusetts to be checked against calibration for positive pressure readings, you can, but that would not be a concern to me.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-22-2017, 09:47 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No, and no. The "rest" voltage in mV can vary slightly. If you want to send it back to KA sensors in Massachusetts to be checked against calibration for positive pressure readings, you can, but that would not be a concern to me.
so is it off 18psi? So if the sensor would read 20 is it really 38 or is it 20?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Not necessarily and not likely. While the pressures read aren't absolute (taking into account altitude and barometric pressure changes), the rest pressure corresponds to a particular voltage output. If it's .479 V instead of .500 V at rest, it would read negative, and that is and has been my experience. As you supply pressure to the sensor, it's typically calibrated at points throughout its range, so 4.5 V would correspond to 150 psi present at the fitting.

So an error on the low side reading, IF it reads negative pressure at .500 V (500 mV) or low pressure (<150 psi at 4.5 V (4500 MTV) would be the only indication of a problem.

IF YOU HAVE DOUBT, send the sensor to KA and have them test it. Simple. Most of the failures I've seen are gross and pretty clear.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

KA is out of Danbury, CT, not Massachusetts, but I would not recommend going straight to them. If you bought it from an AiM dealer, then go through the dealer or AiM.

As Peter said, most of the time when a sensor fails it's pretty obvious. Check the millivolt reading in the live view screen and see if it's reading less than 500 mV. If it is <500 mV, then I wouldn't worry.

Also, what does the battery voltage show when the sensor is reading <0 psi?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had a couple of sensors in my car and friend's car do that. I talked to a couple of people at AiM and they're aware of it. Apparently their current sensor manufacturer (KA) doens't have a very good warranty.

I was told to create a new custom sensor with 0 being whatever mV the sensor was actually putting out with the car off (in the case of an oil pressure sensor).
Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks, I will check the resting voltage, My gut tells me that the sensor is also reading low throughout the range but I will check it against a mechanical gauge.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

That sucks..... sorry I had to.

Quick Reply: Aim Pressure sensor reading negative