Notices

MoTeC i2 & i2 Pro File Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default MoTeC i2 & i2 Pro File Compatibility

Can anyone tell me the compatibility of MoTeC data in i2 and i2 Pro? I've got tons of existing data from my prior car whose dash was not unlocked. I used i2 standard to read those files. Now my new car has an unlocked dash and I'm using i2 Pro. However, what I want to do is open both old and new data in the same application (preferrably i2 Pro). However, it rufuses to open the old files. Is there anything I can do to see both in the same application? I want to compare laps.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can open both files in I2 standard, but non-Pro files will not open in I2 Pro without a special license from Motec $$$$
Old 05-18-2017, 10:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

So, let's talk about "locked" and "unlocked" MoTeC display loggers in cars originally equipped and supplied by PMNA and others.

All dashes on 997.1 and 997.2 GT3 Cup cars run in the Porsche series (AFAIK, Jerry may have more info) were "locked" by PMNA. This means that no changes could be made and no optional upgrades (which MoTeC normally sells) can be purchased through anyone except PMNA. So, these dashes originally had 1MB logging memory and an upgrade to 8MB or enabling the Pro Logging option is all available through PMNA.

When you or someone else paid for an upgrade, you or they would have to send the dash into PMNA to be "unlocked," so subsequent upgrades can be purchased through MoTeC or from authorized dealers like Jerry or I.

Now, if you have a Pro enabled dash now, and had a dash that was NOT Pro Logging enabled dash before, and you want to use the great features offered by i2 Pro analysis, you can buy an annual license to open Standard logging files in i2 Pro, which would allow full featured analysis.

MoTeC is different from others that nearly every upgrade is a purchasable option and nearly all dashes can be made fully functional by these options. But the first person that needs to "unlock" a PMNA originally supplied dash IS PMNA. You can call MoTeC and give them a serial number and they can tell you if it's locked or unlocked.

Best of luck.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can plug into the dash and use the drop down menu to look at the "Password" if it is blank, or it allows you to change the password, it is unlocked. If your logged data files are larger than 1.5 mb then your dash is unlocked
Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, it wasn't clear (at least to me) if the annual license to use files from a locked dash in i2Pro must be purchased from PMNA or MoTeC. Also out of curiosity, what's the annual fee? Typical MoTeC thousands and not a hundred or two? As I understand the question, it's to compare data from an old car/different dash to data from the new car and new unlocked/i2Pro dash.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Tom, I'll find out. It's in one of the dealer bulletins.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow Motec is a brave new world. I'm guessing that if one were interested in switching to an AIM setup in a 997 cup, they would lose the integrated panel switches.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlanka
Wow Motec is a brave new world. I'm guessing that if one were interested in switching to an AIM setup in a 997 cup, they would lose the integrated panel switches.
No. with the CAN based switched now available for AiM, you can scroll pages, acknowledge alarms and duplicate the ADL functions.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:35 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No. with the CAN based switched now available for AiM, you can scroll pages, acknowledge alarms and duplicate the ADL functions.
OK hopefully you'll have a moment to chat at WGI next week about what my options are and what you recommend. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There from this Sunday through next Saturday. Cool enough to wear a jacket or a blazer! See you up there.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Jerry is on the money. The license is $500.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Jerry is on the money. The license is $500.
And Jerry, like me, is an authorized MoTeC dealer, who can supply not only this but other licenses like the ability to import ASCII files exported by Pi loggers.

Matt, you might be interested in the API feature set.

The explanation is here: http://www.motec.com/i2/i2licences/
Old 05-26-2018, 09:55 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
And Jerry, like me, is an authorized MoTeC dealer, who can supply not only this but other licenses like the ability to import ASCII files exported by Pi loggers.

Matt, you might be interested in the API feature set.

The explanation is here: http://www.motec.com/i2/i2licences/
Peter, How do I go about importing Pi/Cosworth data to i2Pro? I have quite a bit of motec data i wan to be able to analyze against cosworth data.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Looking back on the original post, I realize now that 24Chromium could have updated his old log files from 1.0 to 1.1 and BOTH would have opened in i2 Pro, without a license upgrade. Shame on me.

JLS, will pm you.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:13 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I thought once you unlock it, there are no further fees. This was the case with my previous cup's ADL2 and SDL sport dash in the current one

Quick Reply: MoTeC i2 & i2 Pro File Compatibility