Notices

Tips for moving AiM data to Dropbox?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tips for moving AiM data to Dropbox?

Hi:

I'm in the midst of moving to a new computer (a new Macbook Pro) from an older windows laptop.

I figure this platform change is a good time to move all of my AiM data to Dropbox.

I know Peter's mentioned using Dropbox and I'm sure a few other people are as well.

What do I need to do to move RS2/RS3's data onto dropbox?

Thanks!

-j
Old 04-18-2017, 08:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I copied RS2 DATA folders from several computers, merged them and moved that combined folder to my Dropbox folder on my computer, then synced that folder on other computers within Dropbox.

I had to import EACH of those .drk and .xrk into RSA the first time I used them (I only imported "good" ones), but once I did that, RSA pointed to that folder instead of the C:/AIM/ on the computer I was using.

For all new files, from any computer, I tell it in the download to point (and save) those downloads to my C:/Users/<insert computer name>/Dropbox/DATA/ folder and voila, ALL my computers are populated with those files...

Works really well and have been doing this for several years.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

To clarify what Peter said, you need to first move all your files to whatever Dropbox folder you want to use. Then you only have to import the .drk files (not the .xrk as Peter mentioned) to your new version of Race Studio 2 Analysis. That will get you up and running on the new computer for analysis. There is a limit to how many files you can import at one time. I think it's around 150 iirc. It goes pretty quick.

Then you have to change the default download directory in RS3 (assuming this is for your MXL2). I've attached a screen shot for how to do that. It's the gear icon and then the file directory. If you have anything that downloads in RS2, your have to set it there as well.

Note that when you run like this, you'll have to import the new files into RS2A on all the computers you have it on except for the one you downloaded it on. RS2A will not automatically import the files.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Works really, really well.

With internet access at the track, all computers are updated instantly. Very helpful for me and many others.

i do this with MoTeC, too.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Works really well and have been doing this for several years.
Works really, really well.

With internet access at the track, all computers are updated instantly. Very helpful for me and many others.
The files on each computer are updated, but remember they are not imported into RS2 instantly, or even automatically. You still have to import the file on each system you are running. This can create confusion for many users.

Also remember you have to keep each instance of RS2 and RS3 up to date on each system you have.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Thanks! That's perfect. I really only use one laptop, but I want to have the data available on my desktop at home for analysis away from the track.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The files on each computer are updated, but remember they are not imported into RS2 instantly, or even automatically. You still have to import the file on each system you are running. This can create confusion for many users.

Also remember you have to keep each instance of RS2 and RS3 up to date on each system you have.
Matt, access to the files at multiple locations and on more than one computer is what we're talking about here. And that's what this nesting in the Cloud accomplishes. I see it pop up on my other computers almost instantly, and better yet, when I make changes to the file in Analysis, it's saved in a common database. No matter what computer I make the change on. Easy.

Originally Posted by jwasilko
Thanks! That's perfect. I really only use one laptop, but I want to have the data available on my desktop at home for analysis away from the track.
You'll like it. It's slick!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Matt, access to the files at multiple locations and on more than one computer is what we're talking about here. And that's what this nesting in the Cloud accomplishes. I see it pop up on my other computers almost instantly, and better yet, when I make changes to the file in Analysis, it's saved in a common database. No matter what computer I make the change on.
I get what you are doing. The files synch across all Dropbox locations but you still have to import the file into RSA2 on the non download computers. Or do you have a different method?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I get what you are doing. The files synch across all Dropbox locations but you still have to import the file into RSA2 on the non download computers. Or do you have a different method?
Yes, the first time for .drk files. As you point out, you DON'T have to do that with .xrk folders. They're just added.

And after you get set up, it's super easy to import them as you add them because the number is much less. And you only do that once per computer.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, the first time for .drk files. As you point out, you DON'T have to do that with .xrk folders. They're just added.

And after you get set up, it's super easy to import them as you add them because the number is much less. And you only do that once per computer.
That's what I've been saying all along.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Same here. See post #2
Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to do the same thing, this is great for the data side of things.
What has to be moved for the configurations, I have an XML2 and configured sensors, etc for the dash.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I am pretty sure you could move the RS3 folder to Dropbox. I'll test that tonight.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:39 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I run RS2 and RS3 in a VM on my mac, but save all data to a folder outside of the VM.
This allows me to back that up and not the whole VM which backup will see as a big binary object that never looks the same (and will hence get backed up).
With DropBox, Cloud or Box - any of them syncing it should work well. They all sync to a local folder and thats all you have to point to.
I have my own privately hosted version of Dropbox

But rather than pointing to dropbox sync folder, I make an alias of that folder in Drop to be accessed where I think this kind of data should be logically. This way, my use of Dropbox, Box or Danbox is totally transparent.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:38 PM
jwasilko
Racer

So I tried a modified approach to this, having a folder on the dropbox for both RS2data and RS3data.

I copied all of of my legacy RS2 data (from when I had an MXL) into the folder and was able to import it into RS2A as a batch.

However, since the RS3data has a folder for each test date (with all of the data for that date in that folder), I can't bulk import all of the RS3-generated data into RS2A.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Tips for moving AiM data to Dropbox?