Notices

Aim Mychron 5 - in a car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Aim Mychron 5 - in a car?

The Aim Mychron 5 is a pretty slick dash for karts. It looks like the recently released GS dash and a lot nicer than the Solo. It has GPS like the Solo but also has a modern looking backlit display, programmable LEDs, WiFi connection, Race Studio 3, and expand-ability for additional sensors, Smartycam etc. Best part is it's only $499 (just $100 more than the Solo).

Has anyone used one or seen one used in a car?

If you are on a tight budget and drive an old car without CAN bus compatibility this seems like a better option than the Solo. I know it doesn't compare to full featured automotive data systems but it seems like a great deal for $500. Any thought from the Aim experts?

http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro....htm#sezione11
Old 04-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I don't do much with kart systems, but I believe the Mychron5 will not take any pressure sensors. Also, I don't know if the RPM pickup would work either. So you would get temps, but not muich else. I don't think you would be happy with it in a car.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:09 AM
Cory M
Drifting

The Mychron expansion allows for brake pressure sensor, potentiometers, wheel speed and temps. Sounds pretty great. Of course buying the data hub and expansion may bump the price too much. Even if you didn't add all of the sensors it's a nicer display than the Solo, with a lot more capability. Doesn't say if it has predictive lap timing but I'd be surprised if it didn't.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I got some schooling on the Mychron5. It will only accept a brake pressure sensor, so you couldn't have oil pressure. On the temps, you can get a 2T and have 2 temp inputs, but then you would be out. To get more, you would have to add the expansion and still have limited functionality in a car. RPM pickup is inductive and may or may not work on a car.

They have had a few people do it, but they ended up outgrowing the system and were unhappy with it pretty quick. If you really like the display, go GS Dash and Evo4s. You'll spend a little more, but have a proper car system with virtually unlimited capability.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Cory M
Drifting

The GS Dash and Evo4s would be better for sure, but it costs almost $1k more. If you are not looking for a full dash replacement and just want a driver development tool to use with Race Studio 3 the Mychron 5 could be a nice lower budget option. Kind of like the MXG and Mychron Gold they used to sell. The Mychron 5 with the required expansion hub retails for about $750, then add a brake pressure sensor, throttle position, steering angle, and hopefully rpm. The retail on the Evo and GS isn't listed anywhere online yet but the older version was $1600-1700. Sensors would be the same cost regardless of system. If you like the Aim software and have outgrown the Solo, but can't afford/justify a full data system you could get a lot of the same capability for about half the cost.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Evo4s and a GS Dash is $1,399 retail.

Like I said, people have done it, but have not been happy. If that is the sort of system someone wants, they are better off going with a base Solo for now and picking up an MXm when it's released.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Makes sense, glad to see the price drop a bit on the new Evo/GS. Haven't heard much on the MXm.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cory M
Makes sense, glad to see the price drop a bit on the new Evo/GS. Haven't heard much on the MXm.
That's the same price that the Evo4 w/ G Dash combo was. The Evo5 w/ GS Dash will be a bit more. I don't have pricing on that yet.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Cory M
Drifting

The price I mentioned was purchasing the logger and dash separately, there must be a little discount for buying the combo.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:12 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed Roger at AIM about the MyChron5 for my Formula Ford. One nice thing about the MyChron is that it can be self powered and the FF runs a total loss electrical system (no alternator) with a small battery so every amp counts.

Roger's reply was similar to Matt's in that the limited inputs will be frustrating in the long term. For now I've picked a used Solo. Longer term I'm keeping an eye on the new MXm dash.

Jim

Last edited by JGB; 04-05-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:36 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I used a mychron 4 in my race car for a couple seasons. The RPM pickup worked fine from a spark plug wire. I used water temperature and cylinder head temperature for my inputs. The worst part for me was the optical beacon that you put on the start line. I'd almost forget to pick it up at the end of the day every time I used it.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
The price I mentioned was purchasing the logger and dash separately, there must be a little discount for buying the combo.
There is a discount.

The EVO4 and now EVO4S is and has always been $1199. The G-Dash and now GS-Dash is and has always been $420, purchased separately.

Together, they are and have always been, $1399, a $220 discount as a bundle.

Pegasus charges $1539 for both...

I've sold six or seven dozen of these combos, and use one in my personal car. Already sold a half dozen of the new release, because they're a simple, reliable solutionand a GREAT value, especially for cars fifteen years or older.

The MXm is forecast to be a few hundred less than the EVO4S/GS-Dash combo, but it's a good ways off retail delivery, and it will have limited connectivity and display options, compared to the EVO4S/GS-Dash combo.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the EVO5/GS-Dash combo under $2K, similar to what the EVO4/MXL-Dash combo was.

I have never seen a karting system work well in a car.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The GS Dash and Mychron5 also have the same display. The extra functionality of the Evo4s (or Evo5) over the Mychron5 in a car is worth the price difference and saved future frustration. Remember that you also get the better alarms programmed in RS3.

Just to touch on something else - the OP made mention of RS3 on the new systems versus RS2 for the Solo DL. That difference is just in which program you set the device up in, not the analysis. Right now, everything is analyzed in RS2 Analysis. When RS3 Analysis is released, all data regardless of where it was logged, will be analyzed in RS3 Analysis.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:07 PM
RX7FDWind
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I would like to ask, I have a MYCHRON5S, I want to use it in my car, I only need the function of counting laps and GPS, but I can't do it, I tried to tie the RPM line to The R18 engine cannot automatically start working on any line. When it is turned on manually, the GPS cannot work. How to set it up?

Quick Reply: Aim Mychron 5 - in a car?