Notices

smartycam won't recognize track

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:20 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

A whole group of us had the "data as one long lap" problem and we tried everything. We thought it was related to start/finish and other ideas. What finally fixed it for everyone was a box you can buy that regulates voltage on startup to the dash/camera/hub.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Smarty cam

Hm. Doesn’t make intuitive sense. Can you elaborate? Would love to find something that can fix this. I’ve been going over my videos from this past season and there is very little video that has lap times despite the map showing the car icon correctly moving around the track. So frustrating for such a sophisticated piece of gear.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by naparsei
A whole group of us had the "data as one long lap" problem and we tried everything. We thought it was related to start/finish and other ideas. What finally fixed it for everyone was a box you can buy that regulates voltage on startup to the dash/camera/hub.
Ah, the power filter. Was this for purpose built race cars like Radicals? I’ve never supplied one for a GT car.

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-05-2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Neither Matt, AiM or I charge for the power filter.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Ah, the power filter. Was this for purpose built race cars like Radicals? I’ve never sold one for a GT car.
The power filter was really more of a capacitor than a filter. The problem was that original revision of the power board in the MXL2 and other loggers. When the power dipped, the CAN chips rebooted in the wrong order (or something similar) and the GPS messages would not work. I was one of the first people to see this problem and it was in a BMW E90 or E92 if I remember the model correctly. The power filter I installed in that car was a a shrink wrapped unit Robbie made for me on the quick. I installed it an SCCA regional a week or so after we diagnosed the problem. I don't see it often anymore as most of the installs that had a problem are mature and AiM revised the power circuit as soon as they saw the problem.

I've always supplied the power filters to my customers for free (like AiM does if you call them direct with the problem).
Old 01-05-2019, 06:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

This was for a purpose built car that showed the proper number of laps, but would not download complete sessions or laps. Previous gen logger.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

For people that want to know more about the problem, check out the first revision at https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...m_mxl2_109.pdf

Dashes with serial numbers higher than 4302189 made after 11/25/16 have the fix internally.

Quick Reply: smartycam won't recognize track