Notices

AiM RaceStudio 3 updated, 3.13.00

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 01:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Glad to do it for my customers, Matt. Not for the general public. Feel free...

You should see what MoTeC charges to build a template! Only AiM and Racelogic (with a more limited portfolio) are really open to end users. Folks should be glad!

Joe had to spend four days at Bodymotion to build that GT4 ClubSport series config for last year's series, along with Chris Brown. And they owned that config, the template was locked.

At the end of the year, PMNA screwed him and Chris (and hurt the teams, every one of them) in one fell swoop by introducing that mandatory gateway, crippling that config. Very disappointing.

I do like being able to lock proprietary CAN templates. MoTeC has offered that since December 2015 and it's a good idea to protect the IP and time folks like you and I take to build these things for the people that support us.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Tzanido
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Only if you can pull and identify the associated PID's from the CAN stream supplied by the vehicle.

Then, enter that info into the CAN Builder and transmit. I'm sure Matt can talk you through it.
Great, thank you. That's exactly the information I needed to know.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Glad to do it for my customers, Matt. Not for the general public. Feel free...

You should see what MoTeC charges to build a template! Only AiM and Racelogic (with a more limited portfolio) are really open to end users. Folks should be glad!

Joe had to spend four days at Bodymotion to build that GT4 ClubSport series config for last year's series, along with Chris Brown. And they owned that config, the template was locked.

At the end of the year, PMNA screwed him and Chris (and hurt the teams, every one of them) in one fell swoop by introducing that mandatory gateway, crippling that config. Very disappointing.

I do like being able to lock proprietary CAN templates. MoTeC has offered that since December 2015 and it's a good idea to protect the IP and time folks like you and I take to build these things for the people that support us.
I completely understand the IP issues (having worked on multiple commercialized US Patents), but you can still teach people without giving up the farm. I think one of the best things about the racing forum here and the data forum is the information share. That is why I showed everyone the vMin math channels and have done (and will continue) with making videos to help people out.

I think we would both agree that most people don't use but a fraction of the capabilities of their data systems, so sharing some of our knowledge helps everyone out.

I don't have a CAN sniffer, so I can't share how to use it. It would be nice for people to see what sort of effort goes into decoding a stream and then how it's applied in RS3 or i2.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Some day...
Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

The timing of this is perfect. Some folks on miata.net have been decoding the NC Miata ECU and have much of the ECU stream figured out. The ECU config as provided by AIM is missing some ECU data that I'd like to log.

A couple of questions. Since I'll be manually entering this data with a strong likelihood of typos is there any risk to the ECU or my AIM MXS for playing with this stuff? I'd hate for a number of bits calculation to fry something.

Next - is there anyway to look at the ECU configuration provided by AIM? This would allow me to verify I'm entering the info correctly.

Finally, is it possible to use both the AIM provided ECU configuration in conjunction with a custom config or is it an either/or proposition. Use only the AIM ECU config or the custom one?

Thanks!

John
Old 01-27-2017, 07:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

What more info have they gotten on the ECU stream on the NC's? If you're sniffing all, you should be able to define all available PID's. Sounds interesting.

Would really recommend you speak to Robbie Yeoman on on the West Coast with AiM Sports. While I know you wouldn't "fry" anything, you could throw codes on the car and limit functionality in the dash with a template that is not vetted well. My understanding is that it's an either/or, but I could be wrong. I have always coordinated changes to the protocols through Robbie and Stefano so it's best to start there. I'll play with the CAN builder myself, but on my cars until I have it absolutely down.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by John In MD
The timing of this is perfect. Some folks on miata.net have been decoding the NC Miata ECU and have much of the ECU stream figured out. The ECU config as provided by AIM is missing some ECU data that I'd like to log.

John
Do you have a link on miata.net? I've got a couple of friends with NCs that would be very interested.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:23 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

Here is the link on miata.net The author's purpose is logging to do custom tuning, however the logging aspect should work great for customizing AIM logging

My car is currently with my engine builder. I should have it back in early March. I've started playing with CAN builder and will share the file once I get it done and am able to test

I'll contact Robbie Yeoman as recommended as well.

Should be pretty neat if it works like I want it to. In order to send logs to my tuner I have to disconnect my MXS from the OBDII port so I am running with minimal gauges. If I can provide my tuner everything from within the AIM solution I'll be able to provide him logs from any time I'm on the track

John

Originally Posted by jwasilko
Do you have a link on miata.net? I've got a couple of friends with NCs that would be very interested.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:10 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by John In MD
Here is the link on miata.net The author's purpose is logging to do custom tuning, however the logging aspect should work great for customizing AIM logging

My car is currently with my engine builder. I should have it back in early March. I've started playing with CAN builder and will share the file once I get it done and am able to test

I'll contact Robbie Yeoman as recommended as well.

Should be pretty neat if it works like I want it to. In order to send logs to my tuner I have to disconnect my MXS from the OBDII port so I am running with minimal gauges. If I can provide my tuner everything from within the AIM solution I'll be able to provide him logs from any time I'm on the track

John
Robbie or Tyler in the CA office would be the best folks to talk with. Both are terrific with the systems. Robbie also has a ton of MX5 experience from the series. I'm sure Robbie would be interested in having the extra info and being able to work that into the stock profile.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

What is more important than the car familiarity is that Robbie spent a few weeks in Italy late last year solidifying his knowledge of PID implementation in AiM CAN protocols. So, not only does he know the cars, he knows what and how to integrate into the AiM protocols.

THIS has been one of the bottlenecks for developing and improving existing templates, the fact that Italy and Stefano's team is doing a great job but is extremely busy. Bring another US based engineer into the mix will help streamline and increase the speed these improvements can be made.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:18 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What is more important than the car familiarity is that Robbie spent a few weeks in Italy late last year solidifying his knowledge of PID implementation in AiM CAN protocols. So, not only does he know the cars, he knows what and how to integrate into the AiM protocols.

THIS has been one of the bottlenecks for developing and improving existing templates, the fact that Italy and Stefano's team is doing a great job but is extremely busy. Bring another US based engineer into the mix will help streamline and increase the speed these improvements can be made.
Robbie is great, but Tyler is no slouch. Both of them should be able to help without any trouble. No one else will learn or be able to help if everyone is directed to only one person. And they will be overloaded.

The new CAN builder is great. I've worked with a few people to build some very involved profiles and had some great discussions on it with the Italians at PRI (when it was still in beta).
Old 02-10-2017, 07:08 AM
jigga009
Advanced

sorry... wrong thread

Last edited by jigga009; 02-10-2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: posted in the wrong thread :)

Quick Reply: AiM RaceStudio 3 updated, 3.13.00