Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Data Acquisition and Analysis for Racing and DE (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de-233/)
-   -   SmartyCam HD 2.1 and QuickTime (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de/967255-smartycam-hd-2-1-and-quicktime.html)

winders 12-17-2016 02:28 PM

SmartyCam HD 2.1 and QuickTime

Any news on when or even if AiM is going to update the video format of the SmartCam HD 2.1 to be compatible with the latest releases of QuickTime in Mac Sierra 10.12.x?

ProCoach 12-17-2016 03:16 PM

No new news, although they've (Italy) has been aware for several weeks.

I get all of my Apple users who don't want to use VLC Player to install QT 7 Pro on their Sierra equipped hardware. Works fine.

winders 12-17-2016 03:33 PM

I've had QuickTime 7 Pro for a long time and have used it for videos over QuickTime 10 all along. I am planning on using the Photos app to manage movies and it requires QuickTime 10 compatibility to work.

ProCoach 12-17-2016 04:21 PM

Sorry, can't help, then.

ir_fuel 12-23-2016 07:39 PM

Winders:

install ffmpeg on your mac, open terminal, go to the folder where you have your mov file and run:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mov

That should do the trick

winders 12-27-2016 06:34 AM

Thanks. That works well and fixes the video. It does cause some strange green frames at the beginning of the video but those can usually be trimmed without when editing the video.

This is the correct command these days:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v copy -c:a copy output.mov

The "vcodec" and "acodec" switches have been deprecated and replaced with "c:v" and "c:a", respectively.

Normally, I would complain that ffmpeg is too slow but since this command is not asking ffmpeg to do any encoding, it is very fast. When encoding is required, I definitely want something faster than ffmpeg. I found a MacX suite of tools, including a faster and flexible converter, for a cheap price and bought it.

ir_fuel 12-27-2016 06:43 AM

The only thing it does is throw away that 3rd metadata channel. No idea where the green stuff comes from. I saw it too. Pretty weird since it is not re-encoding anything.

Spyerx 12-29-2016 12:38 PM

interesting, so it's just modifying the container?

ProCoach 12-29-2016 12:45 PM

Strips the channel Scott references from the index file, IIRC.

I think the first time I saw ffdshow was in 2005 as part of TraqStudio.

As soon as the frame changes, the green first frame goes away. When exporting, that green frame does not come through in the exported file, IIRC.

ir_fuel 12-29-2016 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spyerx (Post 13843630)
interesting, so it's just modifying the container?

Yes
There are 3 streams. 1 video, 1 audio and 1 "garbage" (aka AiM metadata).
That last one is removed when running ffmpeg. No re-encoding so it is instant.

winders 12-29-2016 03:50 PM

The green frames do indeed show up in the imported file. I would run the file through ffmpeg prior to trimming it.

What I wonder is if doing this will ruin any chances of using the files down the road when we have the ability to watch videos side by side with data in the AiM software.

ProCoach 12-29-2016 04:59 PM

I would imagine it would, same with the .mp4's made by the Delphi/Cosworth Performance Data Recorder (PDR) in GM products.

This information shows up when you pull up the SmartyCam HD video files in Race Studio 3 video comparison mode now. It contains lap times and total time information.

Try it. And I will, too.

Matt Romanowski 12-29-2016 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by winders (Post 13844067)
What I wonder is if doing this will ruin any chances of using the files down the road when we have the ability to watch videos side by side with data in the AiM software.

I would strongly advise you to save the original files. No one here knows how it will be done/what you will need.

ProCoach 12-29-2016 06:12 PM

Easy enough to test! ;)

winders 12-29-2016 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 13844440)
I would strongly advise you to save the original files. No one here knows how it will be done/what you will need.

All the more reason that AiM should put some serious effort into fixing this problem sooner rather than later. Just because there is an older unsupported version of QuickTime out there that works does not give them reason to dally.