Old 12-01-2016, 11:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I think the one setup that was missed here is the standard definition Smartycam. All in one, produces the data file, and gives you the video with data on it real time. Three folks here just scored some last week for real reasonable prices. Seeing how you are in NJ, it's worth looking for one over the winter for a bit and before buying something else new. You can always get the new stuff pretty quick.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:47 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Thus, as crazy as it sounds, I've concluded that to fix all the issues with HLT and get video with data overlay that is quickly accessible after a run, it's VBOX at $2k for low def and $3k for high def.
+100, VBOX Lite is the best bang for the DIY learner buck. There is simply no match for having the "squiggly" lines, plus multiple sync'd up videos with real-time data overlays on them as a learning tool. It's a totally different world.

Here is what I mean:

Purple - Andy Lally in GT3RS
Blue - Me in a GT4
Red - Me in GT3RS

Different cars, different dates, different drivers...all side by side and sync'd to squiggly lines. You can do this up to 8 videos, though I don't see how that would be helpful.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Returning to your original posit, I do think the at-event workflow to come up with effective, actionable strategies between runs or sessions is far easier and less time consuming with the VBOX products and software..
Yep.

There is some info on both HD2 and Lite in this thread if OP is looking for more info on the racelogic stuff...

https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...d2-review.html
Old 12-02-2016, 06:25 AM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geneman
and the Aim system starts itself as soon as you are mobile.... (motile as we in science say) . you cannot put a price tag on this.....never one of those "forgot to push the button moments"
EGGZacktamingo!!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF you Are on motec whats best then. For something simular
Old 12-02-2016, 08:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

The reason why I was SO glad to become a MoTeC dealer many years ago is that I was finally able to offer one of the most sophisticated, powerful and flexible acquisition/controller/display systems available. Mostly because I was able to get access to the resources and the EXCELLENT training that MoTeC provides it's authorized dealers.

MoTeC has been an integral part of engine management, data logging and voltage control of high end, professional racing cars since the beginning of this technology. As long as eight or nine years ago, I was already seeing top-level professional sports cars, prototypes and formula cars beginning to populate historic racing, where I made my living for so long.

Most of the features we now take for granted in other integrated data and video systems has existed in MoTeC for quite some time. They just require knowledge and practice to begin to use them within i2 Pro in an expedited way to be usedful AT an event, BETWEEN sessions.

Most of my MoTeC-equipped clients and customers who do NOT have access to a full time engineer or DAG (data acquisition guys like MoTeC Joe Hullett, Chris Brown, Matt, Ray Phillips, Elton Wong and many others who work on the weekends in a professional capacity) just DON'T have the time, knowledge or experience to fully utilize the great power MoTeC provides and already has.

As a matter of fact, in racing and track day applications (that have been talked about in other threads as "add-ons" to AiM and other systems), sensor arrays like wide spectrum tire and brake temp sensors, shock pots and aero, as well as sophisticated engine monitoring and chassis stability reports using wheel speeds, the users interested in these SHOULD seriously consider upgrading TO MoTeC, as that is the LEAST frustrating way to use and display all those measures, quickly and cleanly.

Getting back to your question, I have equipped many drivers who function as their own crew and are interested in the ease of use of the newer DRIVER-centric analysis hardware and tools to consider the Race-Keeper and VBOX Video HD2 integrated WITH the MoTeC (using a CAN out from the MoTeC to feed info to be written on the video and compared visually using MUCH easier to use and automated software).

I have also supplied AiM ECU Bridges and SmartyCams to replace the older, obsolete ChaseCam PDR-100's in many Cup cars. These can be integrated with MoTeC to good effect. A the new, very small and rendering on the fly MoTeC camera is pretty good, too, but pricey at $2K.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-02-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Turning back to the OP and original question, there is another next step after Harry's which has not been discussed, and that is optimize Harry's and export to CT for analysis and render videos with RR3. In other words, what is the best combination of elements of a reliable, robust HLT system?

For me, HLT + a good mount (with position calibrated to HLTs use of the iphone accelerometers) plus an OBD II adapter and XGPS160 with GoPro session posed several problems with sensor and sensor connection reliability. Most specifically, the XGPS160 had serious BT connection issues and occasional reliability issue even without BT. Maybe a bad unit, but I've read similar on the forums. Moreover, I have a GoPro Session which HLT does not integrate and control well. Thus, for me, I considered replacing the XGPS160 with a VBOX Sport and the GoPro with a Hero 4 Silver (or Hero5) which are know to be reliable with HLT (maybe not the 5 yet, but it looks like it will be ok).

Unfortunately, this is roughly another $1k expenditure ($400 for the GoPro and $500 for VBOX sport, external antenna, mount, etc.). I'd then still be missing many ECU data points like brake pressure and I don't get instant video review. In fact, even if I wanted to download videos trackside, the way the GoPros are designed, I need to unmount and unhook the unit (power) just to pull the uSD card for download - quite inelegant. Also, ECU data like throttle position through a BT OBD adapter has some serious latency, so once can not rely with particularity on the timing of throttle position in resulting graphs.

Overall, for me to optimize HLT, that's $1k IMHO which is better used towards a more established bespoke system as discussed above.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Turning back to the OP and original question...

Overall, for me to optimize HLT, that's $1k IMHO which is better used towards a more established bespoke system as discussed above.
And after you optimize HLT, you're plagued with three major issues, all of which are addressed by the more powerful solutions.

Lack of reliability. Latency of information (primarily GPS speed and OBDII throttle and RPM info). Lack of powerful, automated COMPARATIVE software package.

You can dress up a pig, but it's still a pig...

And, you get what you pay for...
Old 12-02-2016, 10:01 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Peter-

You mentîoned Waylens early on and it appears to be a very simple set up with bluetooth connectivity and some data.

All the reviews and info ive seen center around its use for recording driving on standard roads- not track events with timing.

Im not expecting it to do everything. You mentioned you are now using it. What has been your experience?

Thx
Old 12-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

AIM w /SCHD for FTW.

Like tow vehicles and trailers, just bite the bullet and get the right one, or you will regret the compromise and then need to "upgrade". Video and data for price of a set of good tires.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 177mph
Peter-

You mentîoned Waylens early on and it appears to be a very simple set up with bluetooth connectivity and some data.

All the reviews and info ive seen center around its use for recording driving on standard roads- not track events with timing.

Im not expecting it to do everything.
The dev team has been using it at both West Coast tracks as well as Palmer and Thompson in the Northeast for Time Trials and Time Attack, so it's definitely suitable for track use. My testing right now is centered around determining how to set up start/finish coordinates to see if lap times can be shown. May not be...
Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
AIM w /SCHD for FTW.

Like tow vehicles and trailers, just bite the bullet and get the right one, or you will regret the compromise and then need to "upgrade". Video and data for price of a set of good tires.
Agreed. Partially.

For those looking for video augmentation and insight to their squiggly lines, or a review of "intelligent video" (video that is actionable, due to having measures on it already), the SDL/SCHD rev2.1 combo is great and, in my mind and the hundreds of customers I have sold this combo to, a good value at the price.

For those looking at the linkage between the squiggly lines and the video, particularly those intent on coaching themselves without the lengthy analysis required by separate review of the video and data, other systems do a much better job.

Everyone's needs are different. Everyone's commitment, in time and effort, to learning how to use this stuff is different. No one's motivation for picking one system over another is wrong.

I have recently sold many SDL/SCHD combos to drivers that are in cars that don't even supply any ECU info, something I would not have considered recommending. They're doing this simply because of this combo's automation and ease of use...

It's an embarrassment of riches, all of the great choices available when HLT and RaceChrono folks want to move up to serious tools. I'm just very fortunate to be on that leading crest of this great technology, which frees the sport from the shackles of expensive (and of variable experience, knowledge and motivation) DAG's, coaches, instructors and engineers and NOW easily allows drivers to coach themselves!

Good stuff!
Old 12-04-2016, 10:33 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I know that it is not that popular in these parts, but I think the Race Technologies Video4 will render data right to video.

Ray
Old 12-04-2016, 11:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, RT Video 4, with a DL1, with render the DL1 data to the video real time.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

There is also a version that does not need a DL1. It has GPS, an accelerometer, and several inputs which allows a tach input as well as several others.

Ray
Old 12-05-2016, 09:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm thinking back when it was introduced in 2009-2010. I forgot they added an all in one.

RT is a very powerful logger/software combination. Al Seim, who's been the US agent for more than a decade, is a great resource. My first GPS logger was a DL1, and I sold them for awhile. But the software and configuration was so complicated and time consuming, it was not practicable for 90% of my customers. The ease of use was not there, like RacePak.

They're SD (standard definition) Video4 was a nice piece when it came out, though.

Quick Reply: Next step AFTER Harry's