Notices

Where does AIM store data/video files?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:25 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Where does AIM store data/video files?

Wondering in various configurations where AIM systems store their data and video files. Does this vary by configuration; in what instances is WIFI download available? This impacts the process to download and review post session:

E.g.:
1. SmartyCAM HD and SoloDL; where is data; where is video?
2. SmartyCAM HD plus logger like EVO4s or 5 and a dash or display.
3. SmartyCAM HD plus DashLogger.
3. Just Smartycam HD with ECU connection (silly question as I assume data is stored on the SCHD SD card, but I want to know if the SCHD stores a separate data file, in addition to the video, that is viewable with the analytics tools in addition to the video with overlay data.

db
Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

It's much simpler than that. If it's downloaded with RS2 (Evo4, MXL Pista, Solo DL, Solo, Smartycam) it goes to C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio2\DATA

If it is downloaded with RS3 (MXL2, MXS, MXG, Evo4s, Evo5), then it goes to C:\AIM_SPORT\RaceStudio3\user\data

For RS3, you can configure some more folders after that like date, then user, etc.

These are the defaults that come with the standard install. I've actually changed my default location to another drive. On my laptop I run a small SSHD for the operating system, then a bigger regular drive for data. You can also make it a dropbox folder so you could share data across multiple computers and/or users.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:11 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Sorry, I was unclear - I want to understand where I download the data from on the respective devices. For instance, do I have to remove a SD card from the SmartyCam HD AND attach a USB cable to the SoloDL or logger, etc. to get the data file and video. How does this vary with different configurations of possible cameras/loggers from AIM. How do the WIFI loggers change this. Etc.

db
Old 11-12-2016, 05:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

On the older generation of loggers (Solo/Solo DL/MXL/ EVo3/EVO4), connect via USB, open RS2 and select "Download Data"

In the newer generation (MXL2/MXG/MXS), connect either via USB cable or enable wireless on the device and select that dash as a WiFi AP to connect to. The EVO5 also stores data on a hot swappable SD card.

In all cases for video, remove the SD card from the camera and drag and drop or move the individual files to your desired folder on your computer. No linkage with the data files at this time.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-12-2016, 05:26 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Thanks - that's exactly the info I was looking for.

In a situation where only a SmartyCAM HD with ECU connection is in use, the video is obviously stored on the SCHD SD card as in all cases; however, does the SCHD also store a data file that can be imported for analysis into RS (in addition to the video with overlay data - but not synced to the video - at least not yet)?

Originally Posted by ProCoach
On the older generation of loggers (Solo/Solo DL/MXL/ EVo3/EVO4), connect via USB, open RS2 and select "Download Data"

In the newer generation (MXL2/MXG/MXS), connect either via USB cable or enable wireless on the device and select that dash as a WiFi AP to connect to. The EVO5 also stores data on a hot swappable SD card.

In all cases for video, remove the SD card from the camera and drag and drop or move the individual files to your desired folder on your computer. No linkage with the data files at this time.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Not at all. A logger is required to LOG (or save) data. The RPM and ECU Bridges merely translate analog and CAN info into info that can be recorded real-time on the video.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I believe the wifi is enabled from the factory on all new loggers.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:05 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Not at all. A logger is required to LOG (or save) data. The RPM and ECU Bridges merely translate analog and CAN info into info that can be recorded real-time on the video.
Thanks for this. Now I also understand the difference in architectures. AIM has separate loggers (SoloDL, EVO05, MX, etc. and video recorders (SCHD)). This necessitates downloading the video info and data logs from different locations and specifically different hardware. Thus after a session, one has to manage downloads from two places.

Once video/data sync arrives for AIM is there speculation that the download of data and video will all be from one place/hardware? Would this likely be the logger (wifi would be nice) or the camera?

Contrast this to 'video data loggers' like a VBOX HD2 or Racekeeper HDX2 which store the video with overlay and data logs in one location.

Is my understanding correct?

db
Old 11-13-2016, 12:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Video sync and unified data/video download from AiM is speculation. The latter not likely, unless they reinstate that former capability.

The original SmartyCam would accept data sent from a connected logger and you could download both to the same folder from the microSD card from the camera. That went away with the introduction of the HD.

Race-Keeper generates three files per session (raw video, data and a third coordinating file), VBOX generates two (rendered video like the smartycam, and data). You can't play a rendered video alone from Race-Keeper, but you can from VBOX, in any PC or Mac computer, without ANY analysis software required.

AiM reminds me of Traqmate, downloading from separate hardware separate files, but there is no way in AiM to combine them within the same window. The SmartyCam was designed as a standalone device, originally.

Again, with the NEW hardware (anything that generates the newer .xrk files), WHEN AiM releases the RS3 Analysis software, you should be able to open a synched video window within the analysis (strip charts, maps, sector times) window just like VBOX, Race-Keeper, MoTeC (with i2 Pro), Traqmate and others have done for between seven and twelve years...

i2 Pro, Comparo (Race-Keeper) and of course, VBOX allow side by side video (VBOX to GPS position) comparison. While the crude RS3 video player can do this with SmartyCam videos, the scaling is such (and the lack of reliable synching or break up of the video into laps to compare) make this a useless feature right now, IMO.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Once video/data sync arrives for AIM is there speculation that the download of data and video will all be from one place/hardware? Would this likely be the logger (wifi would be nice) or the camera?
Playing with an EyeFi SD card in a SmartyCam right now!
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Playing with an EyeFi SD card in a SmartyCam right now!
Please report back on the results!
Old 11-13-2016, 09:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Again, with the NEW hardware (anything that generates the newer .xrk files), WHEN AiM releases the RS3 Analysis software, you should be able to open a synched video window within the analysis (strip charts, maps, sector times) window just like VBOX, Race-Keeper, MoTeC (with i2 Pro), Traqmate and others have done for between seven and twelve years...
Just to clarify Peter's comments, no one knows how AiM will do this as we have not seen it yet (no one has seen it yet).
Old 11-13-2016, 09:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's been explained that this is the goal... For several years...

As you say, we don't know how, but we do know (and have been told) that the GPS info in the SC HD files and the .xrk files are due to be coordinated in (someday) upcoming software.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:54 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I was looking through some online AIM docs and there was reference to this (data-vide sync) feature coming soon in 2013.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

True. It was announced many years ago...

US dealers waited fifteen months for HD video and twenty-three months for the new dashes after they were FIRST shown at the PRI trade show.

I think AiM equipment does very well for the price point. I like the quality of the hardware. The software layout is good, but firmware and software updates often break/change functions.

They WERE one of the first to recognize the power of live-rendered video, first with DaVID in 2004 and then the original SmartyCam in 2009.

For whatever reason, they have not seen a benefit in coupling the video with the data until the dealer network and US importer pointed out that this is a fundamental capability for nearly every other club and pro level logging system sold today. And most do it very, very simply and well.

That's why I have ALWAYS chosen to sell and use a variety of different systems. In my experience, every potential commitment to purchase this equipment relies on different priorities/experience/outcome/vehicle capability, or combination thereof, desired by the end user.

This is a BIG hole in AiM's capability, however...

Quick Reply: Where does AIM store data/video files?