Smarty Cam Audio

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:33 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smarty Cam Audio

HI,

I have a Smarty Cam HD (bullet Cam) connected to an AIM Solo DL. The audio from the SmartyCam unit is very poor with severe clipping. I have done the following: adjusted the gain in the settings, moved the unit to different locations in the car and actually "muffled" the unit with a cloth to see if it would help. Not any better. I bought a new cable that has the auxillary microphone jack and plugged in a microphone purchased on Amazon. While audio is slightly improved, still very poor quality. Again, I moved the auxillary microphone around, covered it cotton, etc., as it sounds like wind noise now. My best solution was to encase it in a short piece of foam tubing used to cover roll bars. In any case, not acceptable sound. My questions: 1) When I add the cable with auxillary microphone, does it only record from the aux microphone or both SmartyCam and aux microphone? 2) Is there a good microphone you would recommend and used in this application? I used a different data system in the past and the internal microphone was GREAT, so I know it can be done. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Ok. Most important factor is to make sure you have the latest firmware (believe it's .56) on the camera. You can check by firing up the camera, going to Menu>Settings>Info and it should show there.

On the smartycam, under Menu>Settings>Audio, you should have an external and internal gain control.

Let us know.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-10-2016, 03:17 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Many thanks for the suggestion. I will check that when I get to my garage. It would be great if that was the issue. With regards to the menu options, I don't recall seeing an external gain control. Is it possible that could be available in the next firmware update? In any case, I will check that again also. Just to confirm, with an external microphone plugged into the cord, does that microphone over ride the internal one or do they "work together"? Thanks
Old 10-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

fwiw i've yet to get the audio to be great on one of these... latest firmware, gain turned down, using internal mic... sometimes muffled, sometimes random noise... meaning to try the cable with the built in mic and hiding it under some foam.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, the firmware update allows separate internal and external mic inputs to be shut off or mixed. At least it does on the all in one camera...
Old 10-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

I am using an external microphone which is placed in the rear above the license plate. The microphone is covered with a "mini fur microphone windscreen" - use this exact search term on amazon and you'll find it. I am using an Olympus me 51s. This location has little wind and picks up the sound of the exhaust perfectly.

For gain control I have the internal mic set to 0 (important) and the external mic set to the second lowest setting, here's the result:

Old 10-11-2016, 12:43 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Stop shuffling your hands!!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:54 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Stop shuffling your hands!!
I never noticed that until I watched that video
Old 10-11-2016, 01:42 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ok. Most important factor is to make sure you have the latest firmware (believe it's .56) on the camera. You can check by firing up the camera, going to Menu>Settings>Info and it should show there.

On the smartycam, under Menu>Settings>Audio, you should have an external and internal gain control.

Let us know.
I checked and do have the latest firmware version: 01.03.56. Also, I only have one audio setting option with no aux sound settings. I'm wondering if the Smarty Cam GP unit (with the bullet cam and separate control unit) is only seeing the internal microphone and not the aux one? I have the AIM cable used for the AUX microphone so I would think it would work. Maybe I need to contact AIM and ask, or someone else can confirm. Disappointing, as I was hoping it was a firmware issue.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ok, next step is to kick it up to Josh Hanrahan, lead support engineer for AiM Sports, the US importer and distributor for the US. Call the main number (sorry, not near a place where I can look that up and ask to speak to him or have him call you back. AiM Sports is well staffed and committed to providing good support for their products.

As you suggest, it may be a GP issue (lack of separate manual gain controls). I'll check when I have a few minutes.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM
mikemdd
Racer

I appreciate the help. I did send a note explaining the situation to Tech Support helpline and will see what I get back. If needed, I'll contact directly as you suggested.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sometimes the Tech Support requests go to Italy. You can expedite this process by calling the Lake Elsinore, California office. Let us know!
Old 10-11-2016, 03:20 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Just talked to Zach at Aim Sports (Roanoke office). He is going to do some more checking but confirmed the following:

1) The GP model (with separate bullet cam) does only have one gain setting, vs. the all in one models which have two settings

2) When you plug in the aux microphone, it does over ride the internal microphone

He noted that the aux microphone should have helped but will let me know what else he can find out. I was very impressed with the support I received.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:39 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Just talked with Josh in the other office. Working on some conflicting information. He notes that the audio is blended between the internal and external mics. Stay tuned as I learn more... I must say these guys are responsive, which is appreciated.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good. Keep us posted, please.

Quick Reply: Smarty Cam Audio