Notices

Smarty Cam Audio

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Mine continues to sound just fine. I suspect some other issue......
Very possible
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The Racelogic Lite and older HD mics. I stock them and send them with the AiM cameras when people specify an external mic jack cable to be included in the SmartyCam package. The ouput is just right. No clipping, minimal wind buffeting and better quality than any internal mic. 6' cord.
Hi Peter,
I have a SmartyCam HD 2.1 camera and the sound is lousy. I've tried the internal mic and also the external Aim CAN cable with the integrated microphone and they are both lousy with a lot of distortion. My next step is to try a better external microphone. Is this the $20 Racelogic Lite you recommend?

https://www.vboxmotorsport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=87

I have also considered the following external mic but have no experience with either. I do know Shure has always made very good quality microphones. What is your suggestion?

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...mobile-devices

http://www.rode.com/microphones/smartlav

Do you also have the 2 meter Aim CAN bus cable with the external female 3.5mm mic connector as shown below? Please let me know how I could order these from you.

Thanks!
John..
V02566290CAN Bus + Integrated 3.5 female Jack for external microphone harness - L = 2 mt
Old 02-21-2019, 02:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Glad to help. I tried the Shure and no-go. Too high an output. Will PM you.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

If you want the ultimate audio, look for dbarron (sp?) Post on it. He has the knowledge and setup for amazing audio and figured it all out. He was a little mixer in the car!

The internal mic has a membrane over it to maintain the IP65 rating of the camera and that makes it very difficult to get the sound waves through with good fidelity.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Yep, dbarron’s solution doesn’t lack, for sure. His mixer allows additional audio sources, too. But I know it’s possible to get great sound with the proper mic alone. Spent a bunch of money testing and ended up with a reasonable solution that worked well and was simple.

With some DE and track day folks now beginning to use RaceVoice with some success, there might be more justification for the mixer. Fun to mess with, for sure.

Quick Reply: Smarty Cam Audio