Notices

Smarty Cam Audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I see. Still think you may be able to escalate that. I think your last observation is the issue.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2016, 05:38 PM
1pennyshort
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issues as the OP, but the weird thing is that I have them on the normal, all in one Smartycam HD 2. My external mic is attached through the split CAN cable.

My camera is on the latest (01.03.60) firmware.

Like the OP however, I have only one audio setting:

I have also tried everything I can think of: placing the microphone everywhere around or inside the car, different mics, various wind screens, different gain settings. The only bearable gain setting is 0, but with it, at low speeds there is little sound coming in, at high speeds in the straights it is mostly wind noise and clipping.

I would like to confirm that I should have two audio gain settings as mentioned in various posts. I don't, so maybe that is an indication of where my (and maybe the OP's) problem is.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:48 PM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2.0 and a 2.1 and the 2.1 has the dual gain menu. The 2.0 even with latest firmware only has the single gain menu. Hope this helps clear things up.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, helped ME!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 PM
1pennyshort
Rennlist Member

Ah, thanks, that helps explain the difference. Too bad...
Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, I have the GP as well. Same issue with crappy audio from the device itself, then I used the cable with the external mic, and it was not much better, then I got the cable with the aux input and added a powered mic from amazon. One of two different powered mics worked pretty well for most of last year. Now it doesn’t work very well at all. It sounds to me like the SC GP is choosing the internal mic 100% and ignoring the external mic.

Same me issue with me, there is only one sound control.

technically I don’t need awesome audio to analyze the vid, but it’s a pain, sometimes literally, as I need to turn up the volume hear my inputs (too hard to look at both the throttle display and the tack features at the same time), but the. The ear-piercing static or cuts come on.

i was checking the forum to see if anyone had found a better External mic, but it sounds like the issues are rooted in the hardware features of the device, and my only recourse is to live with what I have or buy a newer unit.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have an awesome NON powered external 3.5mm plug mic for SCHD. About $40. Others tend to be clipped or distorted. Spent a lot of money buying different stuff, mics, attenuators, and finally have a good solution.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by Difool
Yeah, I have the GP as well. Same issue with crappy audio from the device itself, then I used the cable with the external mic, and it was not much better, then I got the cable with the aux input and added a powered mic from amazon. One of two different powered mics worked pretty well for most of last year. Now it doesn’t work very well at all. It sounds to me like the SC GP is choosing the internal mic 100% and ignoring the external mic.

Same me issue with me, there is only one sound control.

technically I don’t need awesome audio to analyze the vid, but it’s a pain, sometimes literally, as I need to turn up the volume hear my inputs (too hard to look at both the throttle display and the tack features at the same time), but the. The ear-piercing static or cuts come on.

i was checking the forum to see if anyone had found a better External mic, but it sounds like the issues are rooted in the hardware features of the device, and my only recourse is to live with what I have or buy a newer unit.
I gave up also. AIM was very good at the beginning. I sent audio, videos, etc. I was passed around and finally they no longer responded. I'm guessing they figured it was a software issue and had no interest in fixing it. Pretty frustrating but I've moved on.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

I showed the videos to Matt R and he suggested that I might not have the camera body mounted correctly. I think that’s right. I had it Velcro’d to the inside of the glove box, and of course started to put other stuff in there. I’m relocating it to a cage mount and will see if that helps. I also found that the firmware update I did last year via the SIM card didn’t take and I was still running 1.3.56. I’m all updated now, confirmed, to 1.3.72.

Will report back in a in a few weeks.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I gave up also. AIM was very good at the beginning. I sent audio, videos, etc. I was passed around and finally they no longer responded. I'm guessing they figured it was a software issue and had no interest in fixing it. Pretty frustrating but I've moved on.
That's too bad, because there ARE good solutions to this.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:29 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which mic do you recommend?
Old 06-26-2018, 03:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DC640
Which mic do you recommend?
The Racelogic Lite and older HD mics. I stock them and send them with the AiM cameras when people specify an external mic jack cable to be included in the SmartyCam package. The ouput is just right. No clipping, minimal wind buffeting and better quality than any internal mic. 6' cord.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Reviving and old thread...

I have a SmartyCam HD 2.1 with the AIM CAN cable with integrated microphone. I originally set it up the same way that Mr. WInders describes in a previous post thread.

It worked well for about 6-10 events, but now the sound is all messed up. I have kept the FW up to date, and re-checked the settings.

It sounds like the mic is picking up some sort of electronic noise. Has anyone else experienced this? Do these mics sometimes fail?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:00 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Reviving and old thread...

I have a SmartyCam HD 2.1 with the AIM CAN cable with integrated microphone. I originally set it up the same way that Mr. WInders describes in a previous post thread.

It worked well for about 6-10 events, but now the sound is all messed up. I have kept the FW up to date, and re-checked the settings.

It sounds like the mic is picking up some sort of electronic noise. Has anyone else experienced this? Do these mics sometimes fail?
I had the same issue with built-in Mic. I think the quality of the mic is not very good and gets distorted and pops.

I am now using Rode brand mic off amazon. It is around $60. Turned up external gain to 50% and 0% for internal. Works so much better. Different class of mic on quality.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:43 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by DC640
I had the same issue with built-in Mic. I think the quality of the mic is not very good and gets distorted and pops.
Mine continues to sound just fine. I suspect some other issue......

Quick Reply: Smarty Cam Audio