Notices

AIM PISTA

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AIM PISTA

Forgive the newbie question, but I just received my 2002 Cup car and it has an AIM PISTA unit. How does one tell if it has GPS or needs a lap trigger?
Old 09-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I would just look for the GPS on the roof or under the front or back window. It would say AiM GPS (or possibly Smartycam GPS) on it. If you have a Smartycam, it could also be connected to that.

The other option is to power everything up, connect your laptop to the dash, and open AiM GPS Manager. If will tell you if there is one connected or not.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

I will look. Forgot to say they didn't have the cable to connect to laptop. I just went on website and looks like there are several to choose from. Yikes. What the heck. No standard cable, eh? There is no camera on the car so I am probably going to go with a Smartycam soon.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The download cable you want is a 3.5mm (earphone size) male phone plug to USB. Can supply the download cable and help you through adding an antenna, loading tracks so lap timing is automatic and sending you a pre configured SmartyCam so it's as easy as possible.

Also, to tell if it has an antenna on it, you can (without connecting to it) scroll through the menus and see if it shows "Sats" or a satellite count in the lower right.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Peter,
Thanks for the advice. Matt kindly responded and is sending a cable out shortly. Appreciate you much and your many posts to this forum.
Mark

Quick Reply: AIM PISTA