Smartycam HD - can't update firmware

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:03 PM
RaceDevelopments
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartycam HD - can't update firmware

Hi all,

Having trouble with my smartycam HD. Purchased new in 2015, used once, stored indoors over the winter. Firmware is 01.03.46

I go to use it this year, with the 4gb card that came with it, and it says the card is read only. The lock button is not engaged on the card.

Ok, I've read about SD card problems before, so I try a different one. Same issue.

When Smartycam asks if I want to format the card, I click yes and it does it's dance, but I cannot record anything - after formatting on the Smartycam, and hitting the record button, it brings me back to the "Read only - do you want to format" screen.

When I put an SD card into my laptop that was "formatted" by the smartycam, Windows tells me the card is not formatted at all.

If I re-format to fat32 in Windows, then re-insert the card, the process starts all over again.

The kicker is, if this is indeed related to firmware, I cannot update it - you need an SD card to do it! Right now smarty thinks all the SD cards, even a brand new out of the box 32gb SanDisk, is read only, and must be formatted.

So, has anyone experienced this issue before?

Also, to clarify, the SD card icon does pop up in the upper left hand of the screen when I insert a card, so the smartycam does know a card is there - it just thinks the cards are read only, which they are not. I've tried (2) 4gb's, a 16, and (2) 32's with no luck.

Lastly, I've downloaded and inserted the latest firmware into the root folder of the SD cards (all of them), booted the smartycam by holding the right 2 buttons at the same time until the penguin shows, then let go of the power button to initiate the Smarty Update. When I do that, the smartycam tells me there is no SD card present, but shows the icon on the screen a few seconds later when it goes to the main screen.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:18 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

There is a little switch that senses the location of the tab. Sounds like it has become stuck. I would suggest a few reasonable taps to the SCHD to see if it will dislodge.

Quick Reply: Smartycam HD - can't update firmware