Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Since your all making cool stuff, how bout a 991 Cosworth Dash for the 991 Cups? Work in the temps, lap times, predicted, rpms, MPH, etc just like on main disply. And then like on the Dash you can make the little lights on side light for non turning wheels instead of that car thing. And then finally just the cool brake pressure bars on side with front and rear. Pretty simple I would think..... Tuesday at noon for prototype work for anyone???
Hah! Temps and pressure don't come over. Besides, it would be a little crowded in the little dash in the video! I think you could add wheel speed slip, if you wanted. Front and rear pressures come through. The pre-made cable for the vehicle harness to the HD2 should be ready shortly. Finally. Here's what's available now.

Background.

Channel list. Right now...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-18-2017, 02:47 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

I think for the cup drivers there should be cross hairs that automatically snap to the car in front, and a dive bomb box that identifies apexes. Seems like it would be used a lot.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think for the cup drivers there should be cross hairs that automatically snap to the car in front, and a dive bomb box that identifies apexes. Seems like it would be used a lot.
Hahahaha! Coffee up my nose!

Thanks for that...
Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hah! Temps and pressure don't come over. Besides, it would be a little crowded in the little dash in the video! I think you could add wheel speed slip, if you wanted. Front and rear pressures come through. The pre-made cable for the vehicle harness to the HD2 should be ready shortly. Finally. Here's what's available now.

Background.

Channel list. Right now...

Wow that looks great.......
Old 01-27-2018, 06:17 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

I have just purchased a Video VBOX (a Waterproof version so I can also use in open cars on the odd rainy day we have in the UK...)

My first and main install is in my 981 Cayman and after laying out all the cables, it looks like the rear trunk would be a good place to locate the VBOX. There is power, looks like Can Bus access back there (my DSC Sport V2 Controller reads Can Bus), and easy access to SD card and USB/PC connection to the VBOX. Cable runs forward look easy for the two cameras, OLED Display and GPS antenna. Also I secure a PC back there when logging from the DSC Sport V2 box.

It just seems an easier and less congested location for the VBOX than in the passenger compartment - has anyone else tried this location or have any comments on merits or otherwise?

Appreciate any comments
Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
I have just purchased a Video VBOX (a Waterproof version so I can also use in open cars on the odd rainy day we have in the UK...)

My first and main install is in my 981 Cayman and after laying out all the cables, it looks like the rear trunk would be a good place to locate the VBOX. There is power, looks like Can Bus access back there (my DSC Sport V2 Controller reads Can Bus), and easy access to SD card and USB/PC connection to the VBOX. Cable runs forward look easy for the two cameras, OLED Display and GPS antenna. Also I secure a PC back there when logging from the DSC Sport V2 box.

It just seems an easier and less congested location for the VBOX than in the passenger compartment - has anyone else tried this location or have any comments on merits or otherwise?

Appreciate any comments
Only things to worry about when mounting (and sounds like you have them covered):

- Are cables long enough to reach where you want to put the cameras, OLED, and Mic. The main camera view is better mounted in the window than on a cage behind the driver - however you can get a zoom lens for the SD cameras I believe (not sure about the waterproof version)
- Power and CAN
- Convenience of getting the SD card out.

THe VBOX units don't care what mounting position since they don't have an internal accelerometer. They calculate g force from hi-res GPS.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ralphmusic

Appreciate any comments
You can put it back there, if you like, but it's not as good as putting it on the side of the center tunnel on the passenger side, in my experience. I've installed about two dozen 981 systems.

The power/CAN cable can then be run across the driver's footwell area and the power connected to switched 7.5A fused circuit on the bottom row of the driver's side fuse box, the ground to the forward fixing stud for the fuse box and the CAN to the twisted pair in the harness RIGHT next to (and closer to the door hinge) the fuse box. All four wires within a 150mm of each other. If you like, I can send pics. Obvious RHD for you, but the codes should be the same.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

.....If you like, I can send pics....
Peter,

Pics would be great, I'll PM you with my email address.

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2018, 03:39 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

...putting it on the side of the center tunnel on the passenger side...
Interesting -- how are you holding the box in place in that location, Peter??
Old 01-30-2018, 07:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Interesting -- how are you holding the box in place in that location, Peter??
After careful degreasing, I use 3M high-strength “Dual-Lock” hard plastic Velcro. Works great!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:37 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

A Scene I'm working on for a Ferrari Challenge team. Not 1:1 with the ferrari DDU screen...

Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
A Scene I'm working on for a Ferrari Challenge team. Not 1:1 with the ferrari DDU screen...

Sweet! Would like to try that at the track today!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:57 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

987.2 cayman / boxster

Old 03-22-2018, 04:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyone have a predictive laptimer for the VBox lite for sale? I miss seeing my laptimes while on track.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Peter,

I used my Vbox lite this weekend for the first time and really like it. The issue that I had was when hitting rumble strips, or going off track (oops), the video cuts out and them comes right back. I did install the box on the passenger side tunnel on my SPB.

Quick Reply: Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review