Old 12-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Racepak just released their version of this. They are using it with drag racers to see their "calm" during staging. https://www.racepak.com/collections/...nt=26300190339
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another short article from Racepak https://www.racepak.com/blogs/news/s...FULL%20ARTICLE

There is a lot to learn here. If anyone is interested in a system, let me know.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

It's interesting data but I'm not sure how I would apply it to improve my driving. I've got a monitor for running and cycling but haven't gotten around to trying it at the track. A lot of factors influence heart rate (sleep, caffeine, time of day, etc). Heart rate zones vary significantly from person to person and there are a lot of discrepancies. You typically do a specific test at various stages during training to establish a baseline and measure changes. Modern cycling training plans have gone away from heart rate and now rely primarily on power meters because it is more consistent.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:11 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
It's interesting data but I'm not sure how I would apply it to improve my driving. I've got a monitor for running and cycling but haven't gotten around to trying it at the track. A lot of factors influence heart rate (sleep, caffeine, time of day, etc).
I haven't really dug in either. I have one of those logging systems and I have stints where my heart rate is 20bpm higher than in other stints, on the same day, running the same lap times, same car and same outside temps.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

It's interesting data but I'm not sure how I would apply it to improve my driving. I've got a monitor for running and cycling but haven't gotten around to trying it at the track. A lot of factors influence heart rate (sleep, caffeine, time of day, etc). Heart rate zones vary significantly from person to person and there are a lot of discrepancies. You typically do a specific test at various stages during training to establish a baseline and measure changes. Modern cycling training plans have gone away from heart rate and now rely primarily on power meters because it is more consistent.
Agreed. I spend time with Hunter Allen, a Porsche racer and author of "Racing and Training with a Power Meter" and this is just another data point.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-27-2017, 09:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You're right when you are trying to target fixing an exact fitness level with heart rate. Here, we are looking for enviromental triggers and seeing what they are, how the driver reacts, and how to improve that response. Heart rates will increase with stress level, so what causes that stress? Just like we monitor driver inputs to the car because the drivers memory often doesn' match the reality of what happened, many times the driver doesn't know what causes the stress.

I've worked with drivers who where very stressed about starts. With the HR monitor, we where able to figure out what was causing the stress and work to improve their comfort and ultimately performance. Same with someone who had trouble when in traffic with a blocking driver. Knowing what got them excited, something which didn't come out in the debrief but was easy to see in the data, allowed us to work on their race strategy, tactics, and skills.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Agreed. I spend time with Hunter Allen, a Porsche racer and author of "Racing and Training with a Power Meter" and this is just another data point.
Of course it is, just like TPS, steering position, brake pressure, etc. But it's the first and one of the easiest ways to "engineer" the driver. We spend so much effort in getting the cars right, but don't monitor the driver who is the biggest influence in what happens on track. I'm surprised you don't agree. I thought I heard something like that in your Watkins Glen track walk with Ross?
Old 01-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been fascinated by biotelemetry to analyze and improve my driving recently and have been using a Wahoo Tickr X paired with my Garmin Virb Ultra connected via ANT+ when karting. It's amazing to see and analyze the data overlaid on the video afterwards. I'm still experimenting with it a bit and plan to use the same setup when I hit the track in my Cayman in a few weeks.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:45 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

The built-in (optional) Porsche Track precision app in the newer cars in combination with iPhone and apple watch provides hearth rate overlays on your data and video.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarcD147
The built-in (optional) Porsche Track precision app in the newer cars in combination with iPhone and apple watch provides hearth rate overlays on your data and video.
Very cool. Porsche is on top of their data game. The 919 has more sensors and data channels than you can imagine.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

RacePak is such a challenge to use, though...
Old 02-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

RacePak is such a challenge to use, though...
I posted the Racepak article as another source of how people are using the heart rate monitors. The Wireless Motorsports unit and others will work with any system. They are even included in the AiM CAN profiles for CAN 2. The profiles for MoTeC systems are also available and work very well.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I posted the Racepak article as another source of how people are using the heart rate monitors. The Wireless Motorsports unit and others will work with any system. They are even included in the AiM CAN profiles for CAN 2. The profiles for MoTeC systems are also available and work very well.
As they do via wireless and Bluetooth in the HD2...
Old 02-01-2017, 01:43 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As they do via wireless and Bluetooth in the HD2...
The Wireless Motorsports unit (and Racepak) use Ant+, not Bluetooth. I'm not sure what you mean by wireless (or are you referring to the system?), but the wrist band and Wireless Motorsports unit don't use wifi. In fact, all of the systems out that I know of you Ant+ devices as it's the medical standard.

I don't know if the HD2 has a protocol for it, but Wireless Motorsports doesn't have a specific file for it (see https://wirelessmotorsport.com/pages...emetry-release). If you have one that you want to share, let me know and I'm sure I can get them to post it on their website.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I was reading about some NASCAR rule changes and one of them was to allow drivers to wear heart rate monitors on their arm. They won't allow them to log the data, which is consistent with the rest of their data rules, but it's a sign that more and more race categories are finding value in this data.

Here is a link to the rules change, including some of the safety measures. http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...book-memo.html
Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Matt,

Here is a quick clip from the monitor we put in the clubsport. Just watch the video and see my heart rate jump when there was a near miss. It takes a little bit for it to drop back down.

The overlay is pretty clean inside of the smart cam

Quick Reply: Heart Rate Data while Driving