Notices

Richer in-dash math channels for MXL2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:45 PM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Richer in-dash math channels for MXL2?

Anyone happen to know if we'll ever get more sophisticated math channel support in-dash?
I was thinking it'd be handy to be able to show some things other than just ratios. For example, for corner entry speed, if I could hold the lowest speed in the last N seconds... The information is in the system, we just can't get it out to the display.

With my old analog tach, it wasn't too hard to judge entry and exit speed, but with the digital dash sometimes it's washed out at the critical moment and not as easy to read, ever.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:14 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I really really want the ability to show a min speed. That would be a huge win.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Yep. "Latching" or the ability to display vMin and vMax is a key feature, one pioneered by Pi Research two decades ago...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I can't say when/if it will be done, but one of the challenges is balancing the processor throughput with alarms, analog channels, CAN inputs, wheel speeds, etc. Some people are running over 50 alarms!

One things you can do is set an alarm light to a speed or RPM. That can help you with entry speed or exit speed. Also, remember that you can program 1 light with multiple alarms in multiple colors. So, you could have LED1 be green for above a certain speed and red for an engine alarm. Just make sure you have the order of alarms correct.

You can also use RPM for an alarm condition. That would let you set a light for an rpm level on entry exit. If you wanted to be real fancy, you could use RPM and speed to define a gear and then set the level for a certain corner you are working on.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I can't say when/if it will be done, but one of the challenges is balancing the processor throughput with alarms, analog channels, CAN inputs, wheel speeds, etc. Some people are running over 50 alarms!

One things you can do is set an alarm light to a speed or RPM. That can help you with entry speed or exit speed. Also, remember that you can program 1 light with multiple alarms in multiple colors. So, you could have LED1 be green for above a certain speed and red for an engine alarm. Just make sure you have the order of alarms correct.

You can also use RPM for an alarm condition. That would let you set a light for an rpm level on entry exit. If you wanted to be real fancy, you could use RPM and speed to define a gear and then set the level for a certain corner you are working on.
That is WAY too convoluted! Yes, it's easy for you, me, Dr. Dave, Joe or Jerry, but if it's not a checkbox, people don't often do it. The beauty of AiM is a blend between user friendliness and power. Let's get with it... To do what you say would require a different config for each track, for goodness sake!

If Traqmate made this feature available on their TraqDash in 2010, it COULD NOT be that hard.

I know few folks that configure more than four alarms on their AiM dashes and more than ten or twelve for their MoTeC dashes, so what is the issue?
Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm happy to help anyone if they want to put in some alarms for a min speed, min rpm, or whatever they want. I enjoy helping people learn how to use their system and how to program it.

I can't answer whey it's not available. The plus/minus on lap time display of the old Pi systems was great, but we don't have it, so we have to work with what we have.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'm happy to help anyone if they want to put in some alarms for a min speed, min rpm, or whatever they want. I enjoy helping people learn how to use their system and how to program it.

I can't answer whey it's not available. The plus/minus on lap time display of the old Pi systems was great, but we don't have it, so we have to work with what we have.
Yep, see? THAT'S the problem with any of the AiM dashes. It's not JUST the +/- or predictive that folks are interested in, but there is a min cornering speed and max straightline speed feature called "latching" that holds speed, both min and max. INCREDIBLY useful.

This is a feature that has been in the Pi systems for two decades, plus MoTeC has it in the C-Series dashes, it works really well and is used in every entry level pro series I know.

Nothing wrong with asking...

Last edited by ProCoach; 06-24-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Didn't Pi stop making dashes almost 2 decades ago?

We can only work with we have....
Old 06-24-2016, 08:22 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Actually, Pi was purchased by Cosworth nearly a decade ago and their technology is featured by the Porsche factory in the current 991 GT3 Cup, 991 GT3 R and 991 GT3 RSR!

They have the nifty little Performance Data Recorder in all the high-end GM products that does EXCELLENT side-by-side video comparisons without doing anything except opening the files.

Yep, we all must work with what we have...

That's why I almost always add more to the cars of the drivers I work with.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Actually, Pi was purchased by Cosworth nearly a decade ago and their technology is featured by the Porsche factory in the current 991 GT3 Cup, 991 GT3 R and 991 GT3 RSR!

They have the nifty little Performance Data Recorder in all the high-end GM products that does EXCELLENT side-by-side video comparisons without doing anything except opening the files.

Yep, we all must work with what we have...

That's why I almost always add more to the cars of the drivers I work with.
I used the wrong smiley- I was joking about the decade. I know Cosworth bought Pi and did the Corvette and developed the new dash (that is suspiciously similar to the Stack unit).
Old 06-24-2016, 05:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The simplest answer is that if you wish to go beyond programmable alarms, and output calculated and processed channels, buy a Motec CDL3 or C125.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:19 AM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharing AIM data with local folks has been pretty valuable so it's probably worth the pain. Just frustrating that they build nice hardware with such limited software. If I were starting over and didn't care about sharing data I'd definitely look at Motec. The club dash pricing isn't that bad.
The alarm LED is a fine idea for working on one or two corners in a session. Probably I'll just continue to do what I can with the predictive lap readout.

Quick Reply: Richer in-dash math channels for MXL2?