Notices

Vbox HD2

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:22 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts
Default Vbox HD2

First post is a teaser, I'm working on a much more comprehensive review for racelogic (they sent me a demo unit).

This is side-by side comparison of Vbox Lite (pro is the same video quality) and HD2. They were installed and running in parallel in my GT4. Forward facing cameras were sitting next to one another in windshield. The HD2 has a massively wider FOV. I was really busy with students at the BMWCCA COTA event so I didn't get a chance to add more info and graphics to the HD2 Scene. The HD2 got confused every once in a while with the track, so the times reported in real-time overlays were not identical sometimes.

Watch the vids in full screen 1080p...

It was drizzling at COTA, time was at 8:30am-ish, so you can see low light conditions for HD2 vs. Lite.

The videos would be shorter, but Circuit Tooks can't yet slice video to individual laps for the HD2.

Full Screen drizzle/low light

Bright Light

So far I have been impressed with how solid the system is. Physical build quality is amazing, and finally tops AIM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Fantastic work! Really nice dash scenes and great comparison! Thank YOU for posting!

One of the cool features in the iOS preview app is the capability of reframing (cropping) your video camera views.

Great to see the release candidate .33 firmware enabled the CAN. RPM, throttle position, brakes.

Under the pre-release firmware (.27) CAN did not work when I was up at the Glen two weeks ago.

I am shipping starting today! Yay!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-20-2016, 03:25 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure which firmware I had...and now my car is at the shop, so I can't check. Mark is looking at some of my data to see why I was having some other issues, I'll ask him which firmware it stamped in the data.

The iphone app was handy for sure! It will be nice when you can D/L the data or stream laps off wifi too. There is also a wireless CAN interface coming that will make the install much easier. File size was a problem for me though, they are roughly 7-8X the size of the lite files (7GB vs 900MB). Which is going to be a storage problem for me.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The bit rate of the recording is variable, and the new firmware defaults to high (switching from medium in the beta firmware), that can make a difference. I didn't see that big a file size when set on medium, with little degradation. Also, they're talking about offering a high speed (100 fps) 720 mode soon.

On the wireless CAN, it's actually a BT plug-in OBDII generic protocol (RPM/TPS/ECT), IIRC.

Can't wait to cut out laps in the software!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:33 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankfully I think you deleted the part where you passed me at 7/8. I was in Franklin's M2 and was fumbling around with what gear the tranny was in. I got to the point of what side was best for you to pass on. SORRY!!!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Oh sorry, I didn't even watch the vids very closely. I didn't mean to show anything in particualr. The student who rode with me wanted a copy of the video because I would not let him use his smartphone while in the car.

With hohos that car was glued to the ground at COTA.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was only about to about 8:15 or 8:20 so it was before your video...and for that, I thank you! You were flying.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

What all is mounted on your windshield? It looks like a camera, the recorder, and ??
Old 06-20-2016, 11:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Two systems, four cameras, probably an OLED or two! Hah! Worse than us, Matt!
Old 06-21-2016, 11:55 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

It's two systems running in parallel. A lite and a HD2. So two OLED displays, lots of cameras, etc. The Lite is well installed (headliner, etc), but the HD2 is a demo unit that I strapped into the car in an hour on Thursday before the BMWCCA event. A little clunky, but it helped me look at everything side by side.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Folks, I have a few units for sale right now, if you want to get in on this great new product as production ramps up.

$2795 two camera version
$3145 two camera with OLED predictive lap timing display
$35 shipping and insurance to CONUS

CAN cable extra.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like Racelogic for the Circuit Tools software- so easy to import and compare two or more laps. Very helpful to me to figure out benefits of different lines, what gear to be in, g's remaining to be used in a corner Plus there is no calibration needed (to the mounting position).

Quick Reply: Vbox HD2