Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Data Acquisition and Analysis for Racing and DE (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de-233/)
-   -   MOV to WLMP (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de/933976-mov-to-wlmp.html)

Harvey in FL 05-12-2016 04:28 PM

MOV to WLMP

I have a Solo DL and just purchased the Smartycam HD 2.1. The flies created are MOV. I 'm running Windows 10 with Movie Maker and it does not like it. Is there a solution to convert the files. I don't like downloading fee software as it may include a free virus, etc. I could by some software; but, which one is easy to use. I most likely want to upload to youtube.

You thoughts are appreciated.

Harvey
National PCA HPDE Instructor
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2015 981CS - PDK, GT Silver/Black
2008 997.1 C2 - 6 Speed, Meteor Grey/Sand Beige (gone)
2000 986S - 6 Speed, Arctic Silver (gone, but not forgotten)

winders 05-12-2016 05:08 PM

What do you mean by "it does not like it"?

winders 05-12-2016 05:16 PM

Use HandBrake to convert the file to an mp4 file.

The HandBrake site is fine:

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Harvey in FL 05-12-2016 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=winders;13282282]Use HandBrake to convert the file to an mp4 file.
/QUOTE]

Problem solved as Handsbrake works great. Thanks.

Harvey

ProCoach 05-12-2016 08:29 PM

Or play with open-source media players in Win10 like VLC Player.

amso3 05-12-2016 08:42 PM

VLC is my favorite video viewing software. THe SC HD used to give a choice in menu to create an AVI or MOV file, haven't checked lately to see if the option is still there, that might be an option.

ProCoach 05-12-2016 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by amso3 (Post 13282817)
THe SC HD used to give a choice in menu to create an AVI or MOV file, haven't checked lately to see if the option is still there, that might be an option.

I know the SD version of the SC GP allowed the option of .AVI or .MOV files, but with the introduction of the HD Rev1 (and now the Rev2 and Rev2.1) only record in .MOV

dan212 05-16-2016 10:23 AM

I use QuickTime 7 which is the "pro" version (cheap upgrade). I think it disappeared from OSX releases in the last few years, but you can still download it.

QuickTime Player will try to convert to its internal format which can be annoying. And yes, has more difficulty with some file formats.

I also found that native .MOV files from SmartyCam are not ingesting correctly into Youtube. The audio and video gets out of sync about 20-25 minutes in. This might be a change on the Youtube side (see below).. Really AIM should fix this, but its easy for me to correct for in the meantime. All I have to do is open the file in QuickTime 7 and save it without change and it will ingest into Youtube correctly.

Video is problematic for the industry. Video file formats are subject to many internal variations in code. This is especially true for .MP4 and also for .MOV.
Its annoying as hell.. Life in the fast lane of technology.

Originally Posted by Harvey in FL (Post 13282122)
I have a Solo DL and just purchased the Smartycam HD 2.1. The flies created are MOV. I 'm running Windows 10 with Movie Maker and it does not like it. Is there a solution to convert the files. I don't like downloading fee software as it may include a free virus, etc. I could by some software; but, which one is easy to use. I most likely want to upload to youtube.

You thoughts are appreciated.

Harvey