Notices

Math channels in RS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 AM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Math channels in RS3

I need to add a math channel in RS3 and I am not sure how to do this. The situation I have is I have added a steering angle sensor that has the data coming over via CAN2. Unfortunately the steering angle value has 2 values that come over. The actual angle channel is an always positive value. There is an additional channel that indicates direction (channel is either 0 or 1- +/- or R/L depending on how you want to look at it. How can I create a math channel that will show a positive value for turning left and negative for turning right?

The 2 channels are named "STEER_ANG" and "STR_ANG_SIGN"

TIA.

Last edited by gobuffs; 05-03-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

How about:
Code:
IF(LT(STR_ANG_SIGN,1), -STR_ANG, STR_ANG)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:33 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxer-11
How about:
Code:
IF(LT(STR_ANG_SIGN,1), -STR_ANG, STR_ANG)
Thanks. I'll try that. Looks like I can't put it into RS3 but analysis. Testing the formula gives an error. Guess I just need to watch some videos on how to do it after this weekend.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Ah, sorry I guess I misunderstood -- I thought you were asking about the Analysis program. I'm afraid I don't know how you put math channels in for use in the other module(s).
Old 05-04-2016, 03:22 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

You want to put it in analysis as a math channel. Add it to the general page and then it will be in all your files when you download them. I'll look at the math tomorrow (really later today).
Old 05-04-2016, 01:38 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gobuffs
Testing the formula gives an error.
BTW, my flow is to write the channel "code" in the math channel tab for an open session that includes the measures that make up the formula elements. The "Test" button works in that context. If you copy the formula to the general tab and hit "Test" button there, then the test will indicate an error for the first mentioned measure from the session specific set of gathered data.

So my workflow is: open a session, work up the formula and test it, copy to general tab (via the funky add/paste sub-window), make sure to check the "Automatically insert in files" (and I do the "overwrite" check box too because I consider the stash in the general tab to be the master copies of my formulae). That way, as Matt says, every time you open a new data file the math channels are there (...which makes sure that any user profiles that use math channels for display look like they should would extra mouse work).
Old 05-04-2016, 03:26 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

That makes sense. I have no data yet from a session with this channel in there.

Quick Reply: Math channels in RS3