Notices

Where to start when tired of syncing Traqmate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:36 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Where to start when tired of syncing Traqmate?

I've used Traqmate for some time. ODB1 so I don't have all the sensors. Detailed but PITA to get it together with video. GoPro, so I have to sync separately.

There seem to be lots of simple video tools, and lots of race caliber tools, but if I want to have good detail like TM but have it come out on video with braking and throttle and such, but with data detail if I want it, what are my sane budget options, including just adding one of traqmate's overpriced cameras?

Last edited by JPS; 04-23-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:06 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

The easiest for you is probably to just add a traqmate camera. Changing systems is going to end up being a more expensive option. If you want to go to AiM, I'm happy to explore the option s with you and give you a Rennlist discount.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hate to say it but if timely sync-Ing is important to you, do what a lot of us ended up doing. Like Matt said, AIM.
I no know this isn't directly responsive to your question but I think it's the answer you need 😀
Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

I sell and support AiM, Video VBOX, Traqmate, Race-Keeper and MoTeC and have for many years.

Traqmate can do one thing that none of the other systems can do. If that is a valuable tool for you, it's worth it.

I find TraqStudio (now integrated into Traqview with license) the best, easiest software to use with Traqmate and an external camera. It's easier when the camera (Mobius/Replay Prime X) is controlled and connected to the Traqmate.

I'd be glad to speak with you offline about how to make that work, as well as every other decent alternative out there with prices, pros and cons for each and most importantly, for YOUR application.

Yes, many folks have "graduated" from TM to AiM, but several people have also moved from AiM to Racelogic (Video VBOX) and Race-Keeper to display the data and video (side by side and automatically synced EVERY time) WITH the data...

The NUMBER one priority for most people is to save time at the track so they can get good information in short order before the next session.

Plenty of good options. Most are not "cheap," but all are very good investments in tools that can help you coach yourself.

Few actually take advantage of MOST of the benefit that AiM (and even fewer MoTeC) can provide, but nearly everyone can take advantage of the benefits the VVBOX and Race-Keeper (as well as the Traqmate) can provide, at least in my experience.

The downside of Traqmate is the light-duty and durability of components, the upside of AiM is the robustness of the cabling, equipment (and water resistance), making it more long lasting and reliable.

Let me know if I can help.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-23-2016, 10:31 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

I think there are three general levels of opportunity for trackside video with some parameters shown in the video:

1. AIM or Race Logic or some other system that does this for $$$. Of course you will also need a bunch of time to get it installed and configured. And support from excellent pros like Peter, Matt, Dave and Ellen or others. Smartycam for some newer cars is perhaps the least expensive opportunity at about $1k, sans an ability to see real time lap times.

2. The new camera system that a few have spoken about. Cannot remember its name but I think its very limited and Matt sells it. I think its, what, a couple of hundred $$?

3. Lo-buck approach, for what are perhaps the most valuable parameters in the video frames:

a. Some indication of speed. So you can compare your speed at this corner exit/video frame on this lap to a different lap's result. I like the old school use of rpm. Having a dedicated readable tach in the FOV is a way to achieve this. One of my friends that is a Google employee/genius has a second E36 dash in his car just for this purpose!

b. Some indication of WOT, so you can see when, with a resolution of a video frame, you achieved WOT on exit. I have a simple light connected to a simple microswitch on my throttle body for this. About $10 in parts from Radio Shack and an hour in labor.

c. Some indication of brake on/off. A $3 Radio Shack light and about 10 minutes of wiring tapping into the existing brake light circuit.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 04-23-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:54 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too was frustrated with TM as they seem to not be developing it at all but it did work well for me with (2) Mobius cameras (@$75 per on amazon) which is probably the best for you now.

So I guess I “graduated” from TM to AIM Solo DL and really got in to AIM…it is awesome for analysis but what it lacks on video CURRENTLY made me revisit the Racechrono/Circuit Tools option which gives me instant data and video minus the overpriced and not that great quality of the Smartycam. Some say RC is not “robust” but being able to get most of what you need in data along with instant video sync works fine for me and many others. I can review my data with lap comparison and video with data overlay (no render) before I even unbuckle my belts…try that with TM/AIM and the others. Time between sessions is tight and you get the info you need faster and easier than anything else currently available. RC will also control your Hero and sync it but the files need to be moved from the camera to the phone so I prefer the video directly from the phone for instant review….the “budget better than smartycam” system.

I will jump back to AIM (and purchase from Matt or Peter for their awesome support) if and when AIM gets video comparison working and hopefully allow at least manual syncing to other video files.

For RC watch this video and more importantly read comments here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...racechrono.pro

Here are the inexpensive components to make this work perfect:

Racechrono Pro @$19.99 on play store

android phone which will provide data/video and realtime predictive timing display
http://goo.gl/OmlCn3
get a used 3rd gen Motorola Moto G @$100 for ebay. This will record video to the SD card also.

garmin glo for gps @$100
this will provide 10hz gps which is better than the phones 1hz
http://goo.gl/vaMdxc

If you have OBD2
obdlink @$50
http://goo.gl/UDNJ0o
the will get many more parameters including rpm

ram suction mount @$50
http://goo.gl/1Prtcy
if you are using your hero for video you do not need this or you could record 2 cameras

This is really easy to move car to car too.

ps…I really hope TM gets going again too…in many ways it is still superior to AIM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPS
I've used Traqmate for some time. PITA to get it together with video. GoPro, so I have to sync separately.

There seem to be lots of simple video tools, and lots of race caliber tools, but if I want to have good detail like TM but have it come out on video with braking and throttle and such, but with data detail if I want it, what are my sane budget options, including just adding one of traqmate's overpriced cameras?
The simplest, least expensive way to add SYNCED video is to purchase the connection cables between the Traqmate and the compatible camera required (buy one if you don't have a Hero 2) and the TraqStudio software license.

This allows simple, automatic syncing and the ability to access special features like assembling video TBL's and exporting one or several laps with data overlay already on it.

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hate to say it but if timely sync-Ing is important to you, do what a lot of us ended up doing. Like Matt said, AIM.
I no know this isn't directly responsive to your question but I think it's the answer you need Ÿ˜€
Nope. Incorrect information, Rick.

AiM does NOT OFFER SYNCED VIDEO within the analysis window.

Traqmate, Race-Keeper, Race Technology, Video VBOX and MoTeC i2 Pro ALL do.

Epic fail by AiM and what we are ALL waiting for...

Some systems allow two (or more) laps or, better yet, different segments to be compared side by side IN VIDEO (Race-Keeper and Video VBOX easily, Race Technology and MoTeC with a little work) within the data analysis window. THIS is awesome because you can see the attitude and heading of the car at particular points, key to validating your performance and being able to get going fast!

THIS is the reason why I put a $2700 VBOX HD (and now the HD2) into every car I coach, no matter WHAT system is installed in the car, JUST so I can do this FAST and EASY.

Originally Posted by tentenths
I too was frustrated with TM as they seem to not be developing it at all.

So I guess I “graduated” from TM to AIM Solo DL and really got in to AIM…it is awesome for analysis but what it lacks on video CURRENTLY made me revisit the Racechrono/Circuit Tools option which gives me instant data and video minus the overpriced and not that great quality of the Smartycam.

Some say RC is not “robust” but being able to get most of what you need in data along with instant video sync works fine for me and many others.

I will jump back to AIM (and purchase from Matt or Peter for their awesome support) if and when AIM gets video comparison working and hopefully allow at least manual syncing to other video files.

ps…I really hope TM gets going again too…in many ways it is still superior to AIM.
All good points, although you can put me in the camp of people that call RC "not robust." Plus, that setup has too many individual pieces that need to work together to be a reliable source. If you have a pre 2006 car, you get little or nothing over the OBD-II, too. What I don't get out of RC is the ability to manipulate the data the way I need to gain insight.

As I said before, there are many good instantly available (before the tires cool down) options that allow full video and data synced review for those who are pressed for time before they go back out...
Old 04-24-2016, 03:01 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th

3. Lo-buck approach, for what are perhaps the most valuable parameters in the video frames:

a. Some indication of speed. So you can compare your speed at this corner exit/video frame on this lap to a different lap's result. I like the old school use of rpm. Having a dedicated readable tach in the FOV is a way to achieve this. One of my friends that is a Google employee/genius has a second E36 dash in his car just for this purpose!

b. Some indication of WOT, so you can see when, with a resolution of a video frame, you achieved WOT on exit. I have a simple light connected to a simple microswitch on my throttle body for this. About $10 in parts from Radio Shack and an hour in labor.

c. Some indication of brake on/off. A $3 Radio Shack light and about 10 minutes of wiring tapping into the existing brake light circuit.
H'mm I really like these ideas . I had forgotten about the second dash guy.

Like the OP, I have to admit I'm not wild about the syncing. I have a TM and even the GoPro cable, but then my GoPro decided to randomly lock up and I've replaced it with another camera. Even though I've gotten very good at syncing the data to the video, it kind of sucks. I don't usually have the energy to do it after an event, let along after a run when I really should be doing it.

It is amazing what seems like little trouble when experimenting in my driveway turns into when I'm at the track driving and instructing. Simplicity is a must.

-Mike
Old 04-24-2016, 03:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXE36
It is amazing what seems like little trouble when experimenting in my driveway turns into when I'm at the track driving and instructing. Simplicity is a must.

-Mike
And THIS is why there are a number of options that exist that AREN'T a PITA, nor do they take ANY time...

No slam on people who are handy and want to explore low cost options, but the real advances in technology are gains in ease-of-use.

And that, for many, is worth the extra cost up front for hardware that can leverage easy-to-use software to lighten the workload.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:45 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Originally Posted by ProCoach
that setup has too many individual pieces that need to work together to be a reliable source.
Reliable? Peter...you have installed many AIM systems in cars not sure how you can say this? Do you find syncing 2 bluetooth devices hard? RC is WAY easier and the only failure I have had in hundreds of runs (Symbian based older version of RC) is loss of GPS lock on the older Qstar gps units due to loss of horizon, blockage, and that doesn't happen on the new garmin glow's due to many more sats. Features sure...AIM wins on data. Video compare...Vbox big winner in video. Ease of use and speed to get to good usable data there is nothing faster and if so please advise. Don't you need a laptop to move a data file and or video file to that laptop? I would also like to know if comparing apples to mostly apples…not counting embedded video compare, what is circuit tools pc data not providing with an RC .vbo source with many OBD channels that a Vbox .vbo is providing using the exact same software CT for analysis….the info you say is missing? I’m interested? I want to know where the other $2200 is going

One does not have to be "handy" to press 2 buttons to begin and one to end. Cost and value...RC wins again easily. Sure there are deeper more feature "robust" systems but it's possible many people on here looking for solutions are newer to this and will never get past 60% of what AIM can do anyway...hence RC and even Harry’s fills that gap.

Read the reviews on RC if you think people are not using it or it fails often...you might be surprised. You certainly know how popular Harry’s is and the market segment it serves…RC is much better. I think when someone writes the port in to a runtime app to get vbo WITH VIDEO in to Circuit tools it's gonna be a further game changer.

Get going AIM!...I'll come back because I like and can use some of the advanced features when video catches up.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:59 PM
tentenths
Advanced

another way of looking at this is everyone does not need a porsche, bmw or ferrari to have fun on track...camaros provide perfectly good fun too....maybe not as "robust" though
Old 04-24-2016, 06:58 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am interpreting the original post as asking about video overlayed with data, and that is something AIM does really well.
But Peter knows WAY more than me so I'll defer to him and his comment that I was incorrect.
In Peter, Matt, and Jerry we trust. 👍
Old 04-24-2016, 07:16 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 918 Likes on 449 Posts

I am interpreting the original post as asking about video overlayed with data, and that is something AIM does really well.
But Peter knows WAY more than me so I'll defer to him and his comment that I was incorrect.
In Peter, Matt, and Jerry we trust. Ÿ‘
Rick,

It's not as simple as just saying "that is something AIM does really well".

AIM does it really well if you want to spend $999 on a SmartyCam HD and pair it with a logger and associated sensors that give you the data you want. That could run up to $3,000 really fast!

Is that "sane" in the eyes of the OP? Maybe it is....maybe it isn't.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Rick, I'll walk it back to say that I read the OP as saying he was looking for an easy way to sync video with data in Traqmate, not that he was looking for finished, "intelligent" video, given that the instantly playable "intelligent" video is a byproduct of the automatic sync feature offered by the hardware and the software in Traqmate. Of course, this shows strip charts, maps and friction circles synced perfectly with the video, all within the same window on a PC.

So, perhaps I was wrong in saying you were incorrect...

The big stumbling block for many is that while the AiM SmartyCam does make it easy to see the information recorded onto the video, there's no way to look at the video ALONG WITH THE DATA in a synchronized, linked pair (or multiples) of windows.

So, you can have a breathe in the throttle on the data, but not easily (without going back, opening a separate file in a separate program and reviewing that lap) SEE what, if anything, caused that breathe.

I know all this stuff is seemingly "expensive" to some, but the costs are incremental to the potential ease of use and benefit to the driver, IF they are looking for this information and if they have the patience to teach themselves a very basic methodology to do so.

In the SmartyCam, the overlay of information on the finished product video is done real-time, which is why it costs what it costs. It has a processor, a Linux operating system to render on the fly and an imaging unit that offers better stability than almost all others. Plus, it's waterproof, automated and has a very good track record of support.

Does this stuff have issues? Sure, but when I think back just seven or eight years, this tech was not only not available, it was a fortune to get a crappy SD (standard definition, or "DVD quality) substitute!

tentenths, you're a great advocate for inexpensive (read: dirt cheap) alternatives. I think that's great. HLT and RaceChrono are cool (and yes, I had BIG issues when I started using RaceChrono with a qStarZ BT-1000 GPS logger, crap reliability), but I see no one headed from AiM or Video VBOX towards HLT and RaceChrono, and quite few moving from HLT, Porsche Track App and RaceChrono to AiM, Video VBOX and Race-Keeper. Some even spring for MoTeC!

Heck, if you want cheap, buy a Solo DL with OBDII capability and a Pro copy of Race Render 3 and,. along with your GoPro (or any other camera) and get a pretty full-featured package including data and data-laden video. Also, for those not inclined to look at squiggly lines, there's always the Garmin VIRB. $400 for data-laden video.

I don't care what people use in the end, as long as they use SOMETHING!

As a pioneer in using, selling and training with GPS-based DAQ and video devices, this is the way of the future and quality of data, ease of use and reliability are all I and most of the people I interact with want and need.

I apologize, Rick, if I read it wrong.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:34 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No problem at all; you're level of knowledge and willingness to share it is a huge help to many of us - and I'm grateful for it.
And you might be right; sometimes it's tough to interpret a question, a challenge I know well in my consulting practice.

Quick Reply: Where to start when tired of syncing Traqmate?