VBOX Video HD2 coming soon! Demo from NOLA

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts
Default VBOX Video HD2 coming soon! Demo from NOLA

I received my demo this week from the good folks at Racelogic USA and have already pressed it into service. Here is a video from a quick lap at NOLA from a PCA GT4 ClubSport Trophy East car at NOLA yesterday.

Make sure you crank the resolution up to 1080 by clicking the "settings" gear in the lower right corner. Many features still to be enabled, but the phone app works well and the video is awesome!

I may not have audio because of a YouTube encoding issue.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-16-2016, 09:50 AM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing. Hope we get to see more of the Clubsports in action.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

They're pretty quick. Under 1:30 at Road Atlanta, likely under 1:47 at NOLA. These are quicker than older Cup cars and among the quickest of any of the competition cars during the weekends they've been on track. All good!

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-16-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:53 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the update Peter. Is it possible to pre-order a system from your business at this time?

MW
Old 04-16-2016, 03:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If you would shoot me an email, I'll respond with details.

But yes, closer to the release date.

With the email you send me, I'll put you on the list in order received.

They'll be a very popular option, based on interest so far.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:44 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 120 Posts

Peter,
Did you man that GT4CS is faster than 996 cups?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, the ones that I have seen run... At the two Trophy East GT4 CS Series races I have attended.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:52 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

What is the fastest GT4Cs time at RA but a pro?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's not (supposed to be) a pro-driven series!

What's an average fast time from a winning 996 Cup at RA? No pro "unicorns."

The top Am can do high 29's, which I imagine is similar to a well driven 996 Cup there. It wasn't so long ago that it took a 997.1 Cup to do that...

This is not a pro or con list for either car, and the value of the 996 Cup is undisputed, but these new cars ARE quicker than the quickest GTB1 cars, especially when both are driven by pros.

That's saying something.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:27 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Agree. 1.29 is the fastest Am time seen at RA this past weekend in a 996 cup.
Of course pro time is 1.27.8!
996 cup is without traction control and things and it is a handful when closer to the limit. That may have something to do with relative pace of GT4CS at the hands of the Ams.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, my opinion is that with the series tire change from the Michelin to the Pirelli, and the subsequent spring change softer to compensate for the higher spring rate of the sidewall of the new tire, the damper package that was originally optimized for original springs and tires is now out of balance. I'm not for adjustables, but I'd love to see a more harmonious valving.

But, in a spec series, I'm MUCH MORE concerned that everyone has the same package and that it's the driver that makes the difference.

I have no doubt that with a few tweaks, an optimal track and driver, the new car would be a match, if not better, than the old car. The brakes are really, really good, and few drivers have figured out how to get the best out of them, IMO.

It's fun to compare!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Very exciting to see some real-world HD2 use! Enclosed is the data sheet for the HD2. I asked Racelogic whether the HD2 will support 1080p at 60 fps; they said that's coming in a future firmware update.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
VBOX_VIDEO_DATA.pdf (745.1 KB, 156 views)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FergusH
Very exciting to see some real-world HD2 use! Enclosed is the data sheet for the HD2. I asked Racelogic whether the HD2 will support 1080p at 60 fps; they said that's coming in a future firmware update.
FergusH, you get the first one. Please PM me and confirm that you want it because they're being spoken for quickly. There are several functions and capabilities not yet enabled, but it is a nice piece!
Old 04-19-2016, 12:30 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
FergusH, you get the first one. Please PM me and confirm that you want it because they're being spoken for quickly. There are several functions and capabilities not yet enabled, but it is a nice piece!
Yes please! I was talking to my local shop about the HD2 today. They are eager to learn the installation as they've got some other customers they think will be interested. GT Auto Concepts in the Bay Area area; great guys. Perhaps I should make an introduction when the release is closer? Also, have you done the CAN setup yet with the HD2?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FergusH
Yes please! I was talking to my local shop about the HD2 today. They are eager to learn the installation as they've got some other customers they think will be interested. GT Auto Concepts in the Bay Area area; great guys. Perhaps I should make an introduction when the release is closer? Also, have you done the CAN setup yet with the HD2?
Sure, I would be glad to help. I have good relations with a number of shops and always like to develop that for support purposes (me support them!).

The CAN setup is not enabled, yet. The Setup software I have not yet received, so I can't change any of the parameters or elements in the background of the video. It's definitely early days...

I received the demo Tuesday, flew to NOLA Thursday and this was literally the first run I made with it. The phone app is handy and works well through WiFi, the case, cables and Lemo connectors are MUCH more robust than the VVBL, more along the lines of the $4.4K Pro VVB and it's weighty! The cameras and mounts are MUCH smaller than the Race-Keeper HDX, although I think they've reduced the size of theirs with the second revision and release of that device.

Honestly, while the hardware is done and in good shape, the features will be most likely rolled out over time after the release of the hardware. It's not going to be fully functional Day One...

Quick Reply: VBOX Video HD2 coming soon! Demo from NOLA