Old 04-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I usually tell people to go out and do their first event and have fun. If you have a Go Pro or something similar that you can easily mount, then go for it, but don't stress or spend lots of money on it. Then, if you like driving on the track, move straight to one of the automatic, robust systems like a Vbox or AiM Solo DL/ Smartycam HD. That will save you a lot of frustration and hassle with phone based systems and things that don't work.

I only tell people to wait until they do an event to make sure they really like driving on the track. There are a few odd people who don't like it and I would hate to see you buy something you will only use once.

If I remember right, you're first DE is the Zone 1 48 Hrs. If so, I should be able to let you borrow a Solo for the event if you want to try it out.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:04 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I usually tell people to go out and do their first event and have fun. If you have a Go Pro or something similar that you can easily mount, then go for it, but don't stress or spend lots of money on it. Then, if you like driving on the track, move straight to one of the automatic, robust systems like a Vbox or AiM Solo DL/ Smartycam HD.
^^^This!^^^
Old 04-04-2016, 09:54 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
^^^This!^^^
Heh - yes, definitely where to start. Make sure you like your new hobby.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:55 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I started doing DE in 1987 at Lime Rock.

I strongly disagree with anyone recommending against having a video set up early on. If simply having a video camera in your car at your early DE's is a distraction, then perhaps other sports will beckon.

I have been using video as a learning and teaching tool since I mounted a rented, full-sized VHS camcorder in my car in the 90's. Not too long into my video experience, I followed the advice of the great Henry Watts (Secrets of Solo Racing) and put a light on my dash (and in the camera's FOV) that comes on with the brake lights.

Later I added a second light that comes on at WOT.

You'd be surprised by how much info you can get from reviewing a video with these simple and inexpensive methods. My best student ever learned from video review and ride along instruction from myself and another mentor. She was able to achieve TTOD in a competitive PCA event back in the day. Perhaps the only woman in PCA history to do so.

Her greatest challenger was in a similar GT car with a 3.8L engine, but his was turbocharged and had a multilink suspension. Twice the BHP as her car. And he was the CDI. And the aforementioned author Mr. Watts. She achieved this by watching her Saturday sessions on Saturday evening after the track side party/BBQ. We spent about 30 minutes before crashing in the hotel, and on Sunday morning she applied what she learned.

I just installed an AIM system purchased from Peter Krause. Yet I have kept my dash mounted brake and WOT lights for quick visual reference.

My set up does not (yet) include a SmartyCam. If/when I get one, I will keep my dash lights.

I encourage all students to consider spending as much time prepping for early DE experiences as possible, and now that there are lots of ways to get video into the cars, I encourage that from the onset. It is pretty easy to install a brake light into most Porsche dashes, and with some cleverness you can nstall a light that comes on with WOT. Then you have a simplistic overlay of information in your video frames. You can easily brake down laps and segments with these methods without looking at squiggly lines and going through a bunch of computer stuff as you learn the craft.

Sure, video can be used for entertainment and sharing the experience with friends and family. But true students of the craft will put less emphasis on that early on, and focus on using it as a tool. You don't need and expensive system to do this, and in many cases it can be best to start out with something simple.

In addition to brake and WOT lights in video FOV, it is helpful to be able to see RPM to compare corner exit speeds. I have seen folks install inexpensive secondary tachs for this purpose. I used an audio method to compare exit speeds back in the day. After I had a few events under my belt, I could dictate my exit speed in select corners whist the video was recording. I got the idea from the Skip Barber video "Going Faster!" Watching that video was part of my prep for my first ever track event at LRP in '87. I still recommend it to all students, and watch it 1-2 times each off season.
I am fortunate to live only 45 miles from Watkins Glen, where my first DE will be on May, Zone 1 PCA.

Last year I went to openning day weekend with our local chapter. I completed 7 paced laps, speeds up to 100. Went back to track in August with a voucher for 3 more laps.

Turned out I was only one there. The fella in pace vehicle that took me out was a volunteer who has raced at the track for 20 years, he didn't fly around at high speeds, but showed me proper lines to take.

It was a lot different than the laps on the spring, did not hit really high speeds, but the car was actually more enjoyable to drive, I am not sure that makes sense to you fellas that have contributed to this thread.

In a few weeks, openning weekend again, hope to get in at least 6 more laps , will be on new resurfaced track

I am going to defer to not purchasing one till later in the year. I think having a distraction like setting a camera may be counterproductive.

I hope to do a second DE at limerock this summer if there is an opening in novice.

Thanks so much for suggestions, I think my budget will be under $1500, so I may have to go used when the right time comes. As from the information above, I should concentrate on my instructions.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Have fun and enjoy yourself. This is a very supportive community and you will love this stuff...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Have fun and enjoy yourself. This is a very supportive community and you will love this stuff...
Plus I heard the Chief Instructor for the Zone 1 48 Hrs is a really great guy.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 246 Posts

That's good to hear.
How is a novice paired with instructor?
Is it something done in advance?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
That's good to hear.
How is a novice paired with instructor?
Is it something done in advance?
I was joking around - I'm the Chief Instructor!

Lou and I put people together. Since this is a onece a year event, it's not done with any science, but we try to put people together with similar cars and follow any request that we get. It is done in advance and will be published on clubregistration.net before the event. Feel free to email me with any questions at matt@trailbrake.net.

Quick Reply: Novice, need suggestions on what to buy