Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default AiM RS3 Analysis Beta Released Tomorrow

AiM is releasing a public beta of RS3 Analysis tomorrow. I've had and used the development copy of this for over a year. The beta will not be fully functional with math channels, segment times, etc, but the video integration and strip charts are there. You are able to compare different laps with video to one another and it's all synched automatically. For anyone with a SCHD and a new generation logger, this will add a huge functionality for you!

Signup is for tomorrow's webinar is at https://aimsports.zoom.us/webinar/re...ll_8P2S-_RkMCA and they will release the public link in that webinar along with some use details.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For anyone following along, here is the video if you didn't see it live
Old 07-09-2020, 10:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Great news! I know a lot of folks, including you and I, are excited to see this drop!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-09-2020, 10:59 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Great news! I know a lot of folks, including you and I, are excited to see this drop!
Can't wait to try it out! And by the way, these weekly Webinars are fantastic - I only recently started tuning in, but I'll make a point to go back and watch all the earlier ones. Looking forward to yours next week, Peter.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's great to be able to publicly talk about it! Using it at some races this year has been great and really helpful for drivers.

If folks have questions about it, post them here and I'm happy to help. Use the email feature it the software for bugs/improvements/changes.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think the progress in adding features will be relatively rapid, now that it’s out.

The goal is, of course, to migrate from RS2 Analysis now (which is what the release version of RS3 has been using since 2015) to RS3 Analysis to streamline and consolidate all the power and features the new hardware brings to the software.

For now, it is NOT the go-to for most folks at the track, but instead a great tool to begin to incorporate video within the data analysis window and begin to sample the new and improved database management and visualization.

I wouldn’t recommend configuring hardware or updating firmware with the beta, either.

It will progress quickly, I think, so don’t worry if you don’t see what you want in the beta now. They’re already deluged with suggestions and know what most folks (including themselves) want to see added. Great news!

To build test folders to import into the separate RS3 Analysis database that include both the .xrk and .mov video files, just pluck (copy) the data files from your User/data folder and stick (paste) them into a folder with the associated video for that session, then import into the RS3A database using the import tool.

Remember, this is a separate standalone application that does not share databases with your current installation.

As far as hardware goes, just about anything that runs Windows 10 and was built in the last three years works fine.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:41 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To build test folders to import into the separate RS3 Analysis database that include both the .xrk and .mov video files, just pluck (copy) the data files from your User/data folder and stick (paste) them into a folder with the associated video for that session, then import into the RS3A database using the import tool.
You keep telling people to copy their data and video files and put them in a new folder to use with RS3 Analysis. This does not have to be done. They can import the data and video files separately from different locations and the software knows where they are and links the GPS info so the data and the video show together. The file location doesn't matter (just like RS2).
Old 07-10-2020, 01:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You keep telling people to copy their data and video files and put them in a new folder to use with RS3 Analysis. This does not have to be done. They can import the data and video files separately from different locations and the software knows where they are and links the GPS info so the data and the video show together. The file location doesn't matter (just like RS2).
Or couldn’t you set up your data and video import paths so the files land in the same place to begin with?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
Or couldn’t you set up your data and video import paths so the files land in the same place to begin with?
Certainly.

This is where people are going to have to do some file management on their own. The software database only remembers were things are located, but the location doesn't matter. I put all my data files into a Dropbox folder. Videos I have a folder with track>date>driver. I just import things separate from each location and let the software deal with it.

You could dump everything in the same folder, but once you get a lot of files, you're not going to want to use the import folder feature for hundreds of duplicates and 6 new files. Or maybe some people would
Old 07-10-2020, 05:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
Yes, this is the answer.

I put a few matching sets together to learn the software. Not sure I want to build a complete database in a beta software, especially one so feature-limited right now.

The data files? Not a problem. Video? That can be an issue. Like you, I don't keep a lot of video in Dropbox. Lots of separate drives, organized by track/date/driver.

As a few folks have said, this is not yet something to use at the track yet other than to test. Rely on the release version at the track.

Like you said, this will take some user setup for file management to work well.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:02 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Like you said, this will take some user setup for file management to work well.
I hope they're really thinking about how people use this....keeping video and data separate is really the only way to do it, and I hope the workflow works well for that. Haven't had time to play with it yet.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jwasilko
I hope they're really thinking about how people use this....keeping video and data separate is really the only way to do it, and I hope the workflow works well for that. Haven't had time to play with it yet.
Peter is wrong, you can keep the video and data separate. It's how I use it.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:35 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I moved data files to Beta as that was easy.

I have tried 2 different ways to get mov files " in " beta ".

I seem to have a Dec 19 data and video file in beta but they did not link.

Thoughts ?

This issue of how to get the mov files in needs to be dealt with NOW by AIM so this release is "smooth".

I had Roger's email but cant find it. He may need to do a vid on this ASAP.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IPSA
I moved data files to Beta as that was easy.

I have tried 2 different ways to get mov files " in " beta ".

I seem to have a Dec 19 data and video file in beta but they did not link.

Thoughts ?

This issue of how to get the mov files in needs to be dealt with NOW by AIM so this release is "smooth".

I had Roger's email but cant find it. He may need to do a vid on this ASAP.
The best feedback is by using the feedback button. That goes to the people who will ultimately make the decision. They are responsive and reading it all.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Peter is wrong, you can keep the video and data separate. It's how I use it.
"Peter" is not "wrong," just suggesting that to start out, doing it differently than the way you do things, Matt.

Of COURSE you can specify different source file locations. D'oh!

If you would read, instead of assume, you might possibly understand that I am suggesting that someone who wants to "play" with RS3A beta for the FIRST time, put an .xrk and the matching .mov into the same folder, and use the simple, included command to "Import Folder" in RS3A beta.

Period.

Perhaps you're blinded by all your facility and familiarity with AiM and the dev copy, but there are MANY ways to do the same thing to bring in files and build a "new" database in the beta. One of the great drawbacks of that plethora of options is that there is confusion between the elements of each. Just like the software.

Judging from the questions here and elsewhere, it's not clear. So, I would suggest people walk before they run. That's what I do...

Quick Reply: AiM RS3 Analysis Beta Released Tomorrow