Notices

RS2/MXL Sunset?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:31 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default RS2/MXL Sunset?

I feel kind of left out with all new functionality coming through with RS3. As an owner of an MXL I feel as though I am being left to dangle. Yes, they update RS2 with new ECU's, bug fixes and corrections to device programming, but nothing like the pace or scope of updates in RS3.

Perhaps when RS3 is updated so one can compare older format files with new I can update - if I can also program the older MXL, but right now you can color me annoyed. I can't be alone.

I have been in the software industry for 30 years. You just don't do this. Backward compatibility is critical or else you are doomed to maintain two code bases. And inevitably, you put new functionality in the shiny new version. Companies that ignore their established base do so at their peril.

Am I misunderstanding something here?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Yes, you are misunderstanding something fundamental here.

The installed base of the "old" code (.drk) and the hardware producing it is massive, worldwide.

The "new" code (.xrk) was required to not only clean up the housekeeping issues inherent in the memory packing, database indexing and ordering of the "old" code (which dates back almost fifteen years), but also to incorporate new features that will allow better synchronization between the modular equipment across the range. It also allows full and FUTURE use of more powerful processors now incorporated in the display/loggers and loggers of the "new" generation, stuff that now has to be done in the Analysis software by the user...

RS3 incorporates (and from what I have heard, will always include) a conversion to allow .drk files to be read and compared (same measures) with .xrk files, so the new software offering IS NOW and will continue to be "backwards compatible."

RS2 and RS3 are GUI's that allow unified access to several software programs. Just like RS2 opens not only a configuration program, it also provides a shortcut to open the Race Studio Analysis (RSA) program, which is what RS3 is doing now. RS3 opens SM2, RSA and in this 100+ MB download, includes installation of all of these individual programs.

The "new functionality" you speak of is related to the hardware capability, and most of that to the enhanced GUI of the new display/loggers. Believe me, you are not at the disadvantage you think you are.

I use "legacy" equipment with the "old" software in my own car, and I am NOT hobbled by not accessing this "new functionality." Eventually, and if the automated video sync is incorporated in the software (and requires the later equipment and new file format to make that work), I may move up.

But until then, there is MUCH MORE capability in your "legacy" MXL than you are accessing now, I assure you!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Peter is correct, when RSA3 is released, it will still work with all the .drk files and all the files that AiM devices have made back to the original releases. You are not being left out of any of the new analysis software releases.

To clear up what Peter said, Race Studio 3 is what programs the MXL2, MXS, MXG, Mychron 5 (for karts), Evo4S, and Evo5. It offers new features that are related to the new loggers. RS2 will always be used to program the MXL, Evo4, Solo DL, Solo, etc.

The pace of releases for RS2 vs. RS3 is mostly due to the maturity of RS2. You aren't missing anything.

Edit: I should add, the new functions and additions in RS3 are not software driven, but hardware. The MXL can't do things the MXL2 can, so those features can't be added to the configuration setups in RS2 (things like color screens, different alarm color lights, text warning messages, etc). The software does all it can in RS2 for the loggers it manages. Analysis (whether RS2 or RS3 when released) does all it can for data from all loggers. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
To add to what Peter said, Race Studio 3 is what programs the MXL2, MXS, MXG, Mychron 5 (for karts), Evo4S, and Evo5. It offers new features that are related to the new loggers. RS2 will always be used to program the MXL, Evo4, Solo DL, Solo, etc.
And RS2 (or the configuration part, alt least) will be included in any software release, going forward...
Old 01-04-2016, 12:28 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my MXL 3 years ago and my DL last month. Unfortunately the OP "I think" is partially correct. Imho...the most exciting "possible" new features alluded to by cadell of rs3a regarding new levels of accuracy, video sync, video compare are dependent on the new hardware but as per Matt and Peter what you have feature wise now will continue to be fully supported and is very capable. I don't want to jump to vbox or another...I want it all from AIM and will wait it out and get the new DL in 5 years when they get it done

Quick Reply: RS2/MXL Sunset?