This MXS alarm pop-up feature - want

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:03 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This MXS alarm pop-up feature - want

Originally Posted by Keith Verges-
Thanks and understood on MXL2 backlight color, but the MXS alarm popup can be set so the entire display goes red with a phrase of your choosing the only thing displayed.
I saw this work in a video somewhere and I'd love to setup my MXS to do this... but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Where in RaceStudio3 is the setup for this done? I have the latest sw updates for both RS3 and the MXS but still haven't found it.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:00 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

I have an MXS. In RS3 just go to the shift lights and alarms tab.

Click on add new alarm.

Enter the parameter you want for the popup. In this example it is oil temperature above 260. Under trigger the following actions select Popup message and enter the text. I also have some LED's flash.

One thing I like to do is use the Until button pressed feature. This way I can clear the message and see my normal dash so I can see the actual numbers.

I have low oil pressure, high oil temperature, and low water pressure set to do popup messages.

I use the "message" option to make the bottom row of the display show a message in a red background for oil temperature when it is above 240. This allows me to sometimes modify my behavior before the oil gets very hot.

Good luck

John
Old 12-20-2015, 04:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Thanks for posting that, John in MD.

You can also do this with the EVO4/G-dash, too.

Doesn't require just the new dashes.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Great way John.

You can also add alarms to make the light yellow (or whatever color you want) as the temp rises. For example, yellow alarm at oil temp 225 and red at 245.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great way John.

You can also add alarms to make the light yellow (or whatever color you want) as the temp rises. For example, yellow alarm at oil temp 225 and red at 245.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:36 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

Here are the alarms I currently have configured...

Old 12-20-2015, 11:56 PM
kb58
Advanced

Thanks you very much guys, especially John. I don't know how I missed the message tab since I have all the alarms configured... it may be scrolled down off the bottom of the screen.

One thing about the MXS that's a lot different than my old RT DASH2 is that reflections are much more of a problem (it's an open-top car). Hopefully by enabling the above feature it'll be easier to see. I have yet to add an anti-glare stick-on screen from a tablet PC to see if the reflection issue can be dealt with. If not, some sort of hood may have to be fabricated.

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As I have posted on here before. My main screen on the dash is "Driver page 5 V2"- this is the only screen that has 6 channel displays (9 is a bit too busy). The top 2 channels are Oil temp and Water temp. The 2nd 2 are battery and tranny temp. The bottom 2 are fuel and oil pressure. I have all of these channels set to change color depending on the value of the field (fuel pressure also conditional on RPM). Once all values are at normal they all display green. So when I look down I am looking for color only. I don't want to have to see a number then use brain power to determine if that number is acceptable...then do that again for 4 other values (I don't really use the tranny temp at this point in time- recently added sensor).
Old 12-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gobuffs
As I have posted on here before. My main screen on the dash is "Driver page 5 V2"- this is the only screen that has 6 channel displays (9 is a bit too busy). The top 2 channels are Oil temp and Water temp. The 2nd 2 are battery and tranny temp. The bottom 2 are fuel and oil pressure. I have all of these channels set to change color depending on the value of the field (fuel pressure also conditional on RPM). Once all values are at normal they all display green. So when I look down I am looking for color only. I don't want to have to see a number then use brain power to determine if that number is acceptable...then do that again for 4 other values (I don't really use the tranny temp at this point in time- recently added sensor).
This is a great way to do it. You can use the same logic with the alarm lights.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:42 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
This is a great way to do it. You can use the same logic with the alarm lights.
I started out that way, but then I had to make cheat sheet on the dash to what light or what color meant which channel was alarming me. Don't really have to do that the way I have it now. Still a work in progress though.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a pop-up for low voltage - my reasoning is that this is indicative of a thrown alternator belt that also drives my water pump in my SRF and will give me the earliest possible notice of water temp problem and because I don't trust my water temp sensor to pick up overheat quickly when water flow stops.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

I started out that way, but then I had to make cheat sheet on the dash to what light or what color meant which channel was alarming me. Don't really have to do that the way I have it now. Still a work in progress though.
Cool and good progression. Simpler is better when flying around the track...
Old 12-24-2015, 06:17 PM
kb58
Advanced

I watched the configuration video where they set up an earlier model dash for a warning message, and there they had the option to have the message colored. On the same configuration screen for the MXS, there doesn't seem to be any color option. I'd like to do exactly what you're describing on the MXS but can't find out to achieve it.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:49 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Originally Posted by kb58
I watched the configuration video where they set up an earlier model dash for a warning message, and there they had the option to have the message colored. On the same configuration screen for the MXS, there doesn't seem to be any color option. I'd like to do exactly what you're describing on the MXS but can't find out to achieve it.

The MXS and MXG are functionally the same internally. However, i have seen some changes in how things work functionally as AiM updates. What you saw in that video may not be available now. What I am doing now (as described below) was NOT available when I first got my dash a bit over a year ago.

You seem to be asking about changing the color of the pop up message. This has a red background that I don't think you can change. To do what I did....go to "shift lights and alarms" on your configuration. Create a condition for the alarm to trigger. Let's do oil temp. I have 2 oil temp sensors. I have it set to where ANY of the 2 sensors are above 140 then the alarm is set to trigger the "Display measure" (as opposed to any one of the 8- 6 for MXS- LED lights OR Output 1 OR Output 2 OR Message OR Popup message)...then pick the display measure that you have displayed on the Display page. Then pick the color you want. I have oil temp less than 140 displays font color of blue, but above 140 another alarm changes that to green. Water temp is triggerd the same. Fuel pressure has ALL of the following conditions: Fuel pressure >4.3 bar AND RPM >900 before it will display green.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 AM
kb58
Advanced

Gobuffs, thank you very much. It wasn't clear what "display measure" was and that it was capable of changing font colors. I've added the appropriate trip points and it's working well. Personally, I think it would be more useful to change the background color because it would be easier to see the background color change instead of the font color. Hopefully it's something they have in the works since I run an open-top car and it's hard to see.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: This MXS alarm pop-up feature - want