Notices

Anything NEW at PRI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 11:28 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is getting worse than your average clickbait post on Facebook.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:32 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

"10 ways to get race car data for less than $250. Number 7 blew my mind!"

"Learn the simple hack to get your race car video and data! All the big data logging companies want to have this removed from the internet!"
Old 12-24-2015, 11:35 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach

As you said, they are working HARD on an analysis software and remote 802.11 triggering of cameras, but this is a ways off (maybe as long as RS3?). For ~$650-750, depending on options and harnesses, it's a cool science project, but not ready for prime time. And I've been waiting on that for two hardware releases and several years now...
A friend of mine is actually working on their software.

It's really apples to oranges, especially comparing a spec sheet with products that are actually on the market right now. I can buy VBOX hardware, I can buy a SmartyCam HD, I can get a MoTeC real-time telemetry system over 4G right now. All that matters here and now is what your money can get, all the rest is irrelevant. And we all know what "out soon" means in the soft- and hardware world.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
All that matters here and now is what your money can get, all the rest is irrelevant.

And we all know what "out soon" means in the soft- and hardware world.
Yes, that is my world.

Yes, we call it "vaporware." Covers both.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Have you not seen the Vbox stuff tim and I use? It will make you a believer.
Actually I have. The video integration is great. But the sd video not so much, the analytical capabilities limited compared to AIM or Traqmate, and most of all the $$$$$

Last edited by mglobe; 12-26-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
The video integration is great. But the sd video not so much, the analytical capabilities limited compared to AIM or Traqmate, and most of all the $$$$$
Well, let's talk about the differences (since I use and sell them all )

AiM doesn't have any video integration, remember?

The VVB video integration is the best, IMO. No other system can put two (actually, up to SIX) laps together side-by-side at the SAME GPS coordinates to see EXACTLY what you did, completely automated syncing, good sound, one box, etc. Not only that, but the video comes out with any measures you want (and that are available) right on the video. VVB includes the best feature of the SmartyCam (intelligent video) WITH synced data all together in ONE window.

No question that the SD video is long in the tooth. Introduced in 2010, it's time is past, but I'm not using the video to curry YouTube strokes, I want a good tool!

At PRI this year (back to topic), Racelogic has announced a HD2 version of the current VVBL, two cameras, graphics and measures written to the HD video real-time, two 1080 streams for picture-in-picture. I expect it sometime Q2-Q3 this year.

The interim HD version is good, but requires post processing to get the information on the video, but the tools work well. See standard version of Sabine Schmitz here:
And interim HD version here:

I wouldn't put Traqmate's analytic capabilities up with VVB, people NEED the GSum measure that Traqmate does not have, so the three things TM has going for it are color touch screen with good driver info, good accelerometers and Video TBL, with the latter taking some work to assemble.

In terms of cost, it's a wash.

Traqmate TraqDash with data inputs and Replay Prime-X $1699
VVBL 2-camera, picture in picture $1750
AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD Rev2.1 $1699

Like I've said a thousand times. I don't care what people buy or use, I just care that they use SOMETHING! The VVB conveys information for some in an easier way to digest it, as the AiM and Traqmate do for others. It's all good.

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-26-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:20 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Like I've said a thousand times. I don't care what people buy or use, I just care that they use SOMETHING! The VVB conveys information for some in an easier way to digest it, as the AiM and Traqmate do for others. It's all good.
+100%!

Now I'm off to the track to do some driving and data analysis. Happy Boxing Day!
Old 12-26-2015, 10:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

+100%!

Now I'm off to the track to do some driving and data analysis. Happy Boxing Day!
Have fun! Happy Boxing Day!
Old 12-26-2015, 02:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Have you not seen the Vbox stuff tim and I use? It will make you a believer.
And then, there's this... Software analysis with video comparison in Apple OS X, NATIVELY!

No more Windoze, Parallels or VMWare for those averse...
Attached Images   

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-26-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:47 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter,

Now why did you show us this? AIM and Autoenginuity are the last two Windows applications I still use - everything else I use is Apple. And Autoenginuity sounds like they are coming up with an IOS solution real soon. Now I want to replace my entire AIM equipment - MXS, Smartycam and a few years of learning!

John

And then, there's this... Software analysis with video comparison in Apple OS X, NATIVELY! :thumbs: No more Windoze, Parallels or VMWare for those averse...
Old 12-26-2015, 08:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by John In MD
Peter,

Now I want to replace my entire AIM equipment - MXS, Smartycam and a few years of learning!

John
Hahahaha!

This has been available as a publicly released beta for some time. Perhaps not all the features of the Windoze version, but in other ways, just like OS X, MUCH easier and more intuitive for NON-geeks.

It's really terrific for people who don't want to learn how to navigate an OS before they learn to navigate the analysis software. Amazing.

It's easy for geeky types like Jerry, Matt and I to make it look like we're whizzes, clicking and pointing to get what we want, but if you add up the hours it took to get there (and Jerry was there before Matt and I, and he's old... ), it's insane.

Seriously, this system is worth a look, especially considering the HD2 pending release.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:44 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

And then, there's this... Software analysis with video comparison in Apple OS X, NATIVELY!

No more Windoze, Parallels or VMWare for those averse...
I played around with this just the other day. Interesting, but in the end so limited that I was frustrated and went to the Windoze version.

Like everything else, there's limitations on the VBox stuff. For quick comparison of data and video at the track, I don't think Vbox can be beaten right now. To me the analysis system is great for very low hanging fruit, but you can only go so far. And how you go about getting a display for things other than predictive lap time? Shift lights/RPM? Fuel level? Warning lights? AFR logging? Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm not trying to beat on Vbox or any other system. It just frustrates me that we are so close, but can't seem to get a reasonably priced system with enough features. Yeah, I know, cheap, easy, full featured, pick two... But that's why I want to see AIM get their video integration act together. It seems to me that with that working we get all three.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I played around with this just the other day.

For quick comparison of data and video at the track, I don't think Vbox can be beaten right now. To me the analysis system is great for very low hanging fruit, but you can only go so far.

And how you go about getting a display for things other than predictive lap time? Shift lights/RPM? Fuel level? Warning lights? AFR logging?

It just frustrates me that we are so close, but can't seem to get a reasonably priced system with enough features. Yeah, I know, cheap, easy, full featured, pick two...
Agreed, I just see more fruit than you! You'd be amazed what I can see (after tens of thousands of file reviews) in simple Traqmate stuff. The VVBOX is like TM on steroids. The video comparison, segment to segment, is a great and very powerful feature.

But, no display option other than the OLED single-measure display (it'll do more than predictive) and no shift lights. You can log sensors and some CAN over external cables/modules, but there is not an option for a dash replacement like the MoTeC C-series and AiM stuff.

Unfortunately, there is a similar issue with R-K with the buggy tablet wireless substitute. If that works, it's great, but not reliable enough to count on it like the MoTeC or AiM display/loggers.

Again, all these people (AiM, MoTeC, Racelogic, Travinci, Bosch, RD2, Cosworth, Traqmate, to name a few) work in their own little bubble, with few of the manufacturing designers, engineers and coders PRESENT AT THE RACETRACK.

They want to tell YOU the features YOU should use, instead of vice versa. Clearly, enough different people are reasonably feature-satiated to make all these different companies financially viable, but I spend a lot of time answering questions from each about the feature gains and deficits from system to system. So far, I haven't seen much change, so a fair number of clients use more than one system (as do I).

Still, there's hope. I would not have speculated even five years ago that we'd be where we are now, for the the value of the information and the way it's displayed.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:49 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I'd rather use my cheap Windows box than my expensive Macbook Pro at the track. Too much stuff can happen there, it's not exactly your average office
Old 12-29-2015, 09:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I'd rather use my cheap Windows box than my expensive Macbook Pro at the track.
BTW, I got the information on the NEW Race Navigator box coming out. The One will not be available for the US or the EU in the future.

Quite a bit more expensive than the R-K HDX and Video VBOX HD2, odd shape for the box and odder shaped cameras and accessories. Around 3000 Euros, without accessories.

If you like this kind of stuff, a MacBook Pro is small change....

Quick Reply: Anything NEW at PRI?