Notices

Readying for DAQ.: Street driving and test files

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Readying for DAQ.: Street driving and test files

As I prepare for DAQ. (see previous post on installing DAQ.) I presume that I will be able to "ring out" all sensors in my new DAQ system via the AIM SW tools on my laptop. In my case that will start with AFR, TPS, rpm and brake on/off, plus maybe oil p. and t.

But knowing that the system can see the sensors may not be the same as knowing that they are logged.

My car is so old that it is smog exempt in CA. Yes, smog exempt. So I can and do occasionally drive it on the street. It is not very comfortable and is very loud.

One of the reasons I drive it on the street is that I can check out certain things before I arrive at a track.

So this has me thinking out loud, "Can I somehow test log without being on a closed racing circuit?" For example I'd like to ensure I am getting AFR/RPM. And if I can do that, and run my in car camera at the same time, I may be able to have two files I can play with as I am learning a new tool like Race Render.

I could have a video from freeway driving showing mixture and rpm on the overlay. That would give me more confidence that when I arrive on a test day, everything will work.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Yes! The logger will begin when you stsrt the car. No need for a track nearby, except for lap timing.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Like Peter said, the Evo4 will start when RPM is over something like 850 rpm and speed over 10kph. When hooked to your laptop, you can also use the "online" part so that you can see what the logger is seeing, regardless of recording or not. It's a great way to confirm sensors, setups, and connections without having to have the car running or moving.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Peter said, yes that will work. I would suggest just a short trip around the block (vs. long freeway runs) so you have small files to work with as you practice. Not so important for the data files but smaller video files will be nice as you get up to speed on Race Render.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys.

A trip around the block can be tough for my car in my neighborhood, but I get the idea.

I presumed Mr. EVO 4 turns on with rpm and starts loggin'. If so I wonder how you prevent him from logging and hogging up memory when you sit for 10 minutes warming up the car. My hypothesis is that no one worries too much about that, and that a file trimming process is possible after the fact.

I took a peek at the AIM GPS SW yesterday. I see some track choices that I presume are just streets, highways and/or freeways. Interesting.

And I noticed some familiar circuits, like Sears Point and Thunderhill. Peter Krause is/was kind enough to program some tracks into my system prior to shipping. As I think about tracks and shapes, I wonder about situations with multiple configurations. I have run about a half dozen different configs (each) at places like Sears Point, Thunderhill and Buttonwillow.

My hypothesis is that there are tools in the GPS SW to deal with this, if necessary.

Do any of y'all know if there is an online doc or video that describes this specific process? I'll go looking around Youtube.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Always head over to the AiM Sports Vimeo channel for these GPS Manager questions in particular. On the multiple course configuration question, IF the multiple configs are loaded by GPS Manager, the G-Dash will ask you to make a choice after it recognizes you are in the general area. For those tracks without maps, Roger Caddell has made a very good video showing how to export map shapes that you generate, how to add new tracks and configurations manually.

On the download section, you just do not select the start/stop "tests," or sessions.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Vimeo! Thanks Peter!

Quick Reply: Readying for DAQ.: Street driving and test files