Notices

How can I group my sessions better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How can I group my sessions better?

I apologize if this has already been addressed, I couldn't find anything in the AIM instructional videos. I downloaded all my data from Friday at Summit Point, but when I view it in Race Studio Analysis I see many rows of seperate data, some containing just 1 lap, others containing multiple laps (picture below). How can I group these together to accurately represent each of my 6 sessions?
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2015, 03:32 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Start by sorting by number of laps, selecting all the "1 lap" sessions and deleting them.

Then, sort chronologically again.

I usually exclude those 1 lap sessions from the import from the logger. That's usually stuff that gets logged when moving the car around in the paddock etc.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:08 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Thats a good tip but as you can see below, there are a lot of 2 lap sessions which I think should really be associated with some of the actual multi lap sessions above. I'm wondering if I've done something wrong in the config that has chopped them up like that? I'm guessing there is no way to attach anything together once they're downloaded?
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Wait I think I know what caused this. I left the AIM MXL2 on for the entire day, when I was at NJMP I had been powering it down and back on between each session.

OK so I know what caused it, is there any fix or do I just have to live with them as-is?
Old 11-16-2015, 04:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Wait I think I know what caused this. I left the AIM MXL2 on for the entire day, when I was at NJMP I had been powering it down and back on between each session.

OK so I know what caused it, is there any fix or do I just have to live with them as-is?
Trash the short ones (1 and 2 laps).

Power it down between each session or, with an MXL2, set up the start logging parameters with higher triggering speed and higher engine RPM.

Sometimes, under a tent or in a garage, it'll register a speed without moving even with power on and no RPM signal. Other systems seem to do that, too (VVBOX).

It doesn't look like you opened any of these, otherwise they would show a lap time.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Make sure you have your starting conditions set so it's something like RPM >600 and speed >10 mph. That should take care of any small files that you don't want.

There is no way to combine them now.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It doesn't look like you opened any of these, otherwise they would show a lap time.
They all show the best lap times. What lap time are you looking for?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

They all show the best lap times.
Matt! Until the files are opened, the lap marker is not inserted.

After they're opened the first time, that marker is saved as a change and the proper fast lap is shown in the database. None of the above show a valid fast lap. He hadn't opened any, I'll bet.

I would expect 72-75 second laps at lightning in an SPB.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:52 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have the same thing and it is driving me bonkers. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I should also mention that track map shows TWS instead of MSR where I was racing. Any help appreciated!
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2015, 11:45 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by jshoffit
I have the same thing and it is driving me bonkers. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I should also mention that track map shows TWS instead of MSR where I was racing. Any help appreciated!
Are you leaving it on all day, or turning it on and off between sessions?
Old 11-18-2015, 03:09 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

Are you leaving it on all day, or turning it on and off between sessions?
I have it turn on when RPM > 1500 and MPH > 45. I power down the system after I get back to the pits.

This was one continuous 29-lap session, with no pit stop or break, and no power failures or off-track excursions. I was on track from 11:25 until 12:11 or so. It baffles me how it has lots of laps separate, and then 15 laps grouped together. It also baffles me how both cameras (front and rear) have the track map correct (MSR 1.7), yet Race Analysis track map shows the track map as TWS.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:11 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

It would also be awesome if it could get the Best Lap correct. Or anything correct. Pretty frustrated here, if you can't tell
Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jshoffit
I have it turn on when RPM > 1500 and MPH > 45. I power down the system after I get back to the pits.

This was one continuous 29-lap session, with no pit stop or break, and no power failures or off-track excursions. I was on track from 11:25 until 12:11 or so. It baffles me how it has lots of laps separate, and then 15 laps grouped together. It also baffles me how both cameras (front and rear) have the track map correct (MSR 1.7), yet Race Analysis track map shows the track map as TWS.
Ok, a couple things. I can see how you could be frustrated.

I would lower the trigger speed. Try 30 km/h (18 mph) and no more than 50 km/h (31 mph).

If you have some slow stuff on-track and the delay trigger is too short (time to stop recording from when the start record conditions are met), you could get chopped up and incomplete laps.

In the download options, you can specify how you break out the tests. (one for all laps each date, one for each run, etc.)

Will explain tracks next post.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:40 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

I would lower the trigger speed. Try 30 km/h (18 mph) and no more than 50 km/h (31 mph).

If you have some slow stuff on-track and the delay trigger is too short (time to stop recording from when the start record conditions are met), you could get chopped up and incomplete laps.
Thanks IMMENSELY for helping I had (incorrectly) assumed that the Start Data Recording trigger conditions would only be for it to start, and then ignored afterwards. The guy who installed the AIM for me set it at 45 so it wouldn't start recording while driving around the pits or to refuel.

What would you recommend the start trigger be? I think he set RPM as well so it wouldn't start up in the trailer if I left the data powered on

Thanks again for the assistance!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, try 25 mph trigger with 1200 rpm first. Then a 20 second or 1 minute stop record delay.

Your files and videos have the proper track listed and shown, and this is generated by pressing the three letter "GPS" button on the taskbar. When you select "Show map" under map manager, that enables a separate, sector drawn map that is the same as a previously entered track. To fix this, under Map Manager, select "New Map", rename it the track you are at and save!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:09 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

Yep, try 25 mph trigger with 1200 rpm first.
Ok, I have now set the Start Data Recording Custom Conditions to 1200 RPM and 25 MPH in RaceStudio 3 (3.05.02) under the MXL2 Parameter configuration.

Can you confirm that this is not just a "START" condition, but it must remain above those thresholds to continue recording?

Then a 20 second or 1 minute stop record delay.
I have looked all over RaceStudio 3 and can't find that - can you guide me to that setting?

Your files and videos have the proper track listed and shown, and this is generated by pressing the three letter "GPS" button on the taskbar. When you select "Show map" under map manager, that enables a separate, sector drawn map that is the same as a previously entered track. To fix this, under Map Manager, select "New Map", rename it the track you are at and save!
This took me a while to figure out, but I am documenting it here for my own memory. In RS2Analysis 2.55.10, I had to open up my set that had 15 laps in it (so it could even generate a map), and then click on Map->New. I then selected a decent lap and saved it as MSR17. Then Show Map worked as expected.

Thanks so much for your help!

James

Quick Reply: How can I group my sessions better?