How can I group my sessions better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Interesting. I'm a yellow so I'm still a virtual rookie. My instructor told me to head straight for the apex on T5, instead of a normal turn-in/apex/track out line. Do you agree with that?
Absolutely! The data SUPPORTS this.

Without trying to derail the thread, the idea is to maximize speed and lessen drama through and exiting Turn 4. Tracking out left of center from T4 and entering T5 from left of center allows this without a penalty, if you are sufficiently committed to executing your braking well and then prioritize application of throttle through and out of Turn 5. The exit of Turn 5 is just a short squirt up to T6.

Tracking out of Turn 5 right of center, then driving in the straight line to the left of center (where the left edge of the road is straight) in preparation for a decisive, trail-braking turn-in to Turn 6 will set you up for a seamless progression through the Carousel!

God, I love Summit... For nearly thirty years, I've enjoyed that track...

I'm a second and a half off this in a similar car, but this is how it's done.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

WOW! What an amazing video. I'm going to watch that multiple times, too bad I'm not going back to Summit soon.

To me the most impressive part of that was turn 10 at 110! Amazing.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well... It really shows that we drive to our perceived limits, not necessarily the car's limits.

Data is key to quantifying what the limits YOU have reached actually are. Most of the time, you can achieve higher limits in some areas of the course than others, based on comfort, knowledge and confidence. If you can identify those higher sustained limits (most practically braking g's and cornering g's) and make them more UNIVERSAL, you can improve substantially, without adding risk.

This is THE crux of my work.

The video is by a client of mine who is more focused, concentrated, confident and able to execute better than just about any other amateur or professional client I have worked with (and that's in the tens of thousands, over the last thirty years...). He is in his low forties, very fit, but started car racing as a hobby in historic cars at this track only five years ago. The car is twenty-five years old, and WITHOUT aero of any meaningful kind, a purpose-built two seater sports racer on slicks with a two-barrel carbed 150 bhp Pinto motor!

We worked together, solely with data and video, every event he did for the first three years (about twenty-five events). Now, just at new tracks. He is, in a word, exceptional. He uses ALL the width of the road and is the epitome of COMMITMENT. It's beautiful...

I'm not saying you can do 50 through T5, but you should look at the ratio between corner speeds in this video and compare them to your own in order to find the lowest hanging fruit...
Old 11-22-2015, 08:16 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an event with a bunch of short inconsistent lap times. It was all fixed once it was identified that the GPS antenna was bad.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:31 AM
jshoffit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as an update to this thread - I did make it to the track and test out my new Parameters. In RS3, Under the configurations, I changed Parameters for "Start Data Recording" under "Custom Conditions" to be ALL : RPM > 800 AND Front Left > 25 mph.

This seemed to work and I got good recordings of one set of laps on track. All grouped into one nice file.

Thanks for the help everyone!

James
Old 12-14-2015, 11:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jshoffit
Just as an update to this thread - I did make it to the track and test out my new Parameters. In RS3, Under the configurations, I changed Parameters for "Start Data Recording" under "Custom Conditions" to be ALL : RPM > 800 AND Front Left > 25 mph.

This seemed to work and I got good recordings of one set of laps on track. All grouped into one nice file.

Thanks for the help everyone!

James

Quick Reply: How can I group my sessions better?