How can I group my sessions better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by jshoffit
Ok, I have now set the Start Data Recording Custom Conditions to 1200 RPM and 25 MPH in RaceStudio 3 (3.05.02) under the MXL2 Parameter configuration.

Can you confirm that this is not just a "START" condition, but it must remain above those thresholds to continue recording?
It appears on the new loggers not to be able to set a "stop recording delay" parameter. You should be good to go.

Good news on the maps. They just open the last one used, which is why it messed you up.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-18-2015, 06:19 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It appears on the new loggers not to be able to set a "stop recording delay" parameter. You should be good to go.

Good news on the maps. They just open the last one used, which is why it messed you up.
No worries on the stop, I'll test this all next chance I get.

On the maps, I am new to the software so hadn't even created a map yet for this track. I assumed (silly me) that it would use the map defined in the GPS Manager.

I also modified the track width up to 60ft which may help lap detection as well.

Thanks again for all the help - hopefully it helps others in the future as well!

James
Old 11-18-2015, 08:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks again for all the help - hopefully it helps others in the future as well!

James
That's the idea!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

No worries on the stop, I'll test this all next chance I get.

On the maps, I am new to the software so hadn't even created a map yet for this track. I assumed (silly me) that it would use the map defined in the GPS Manager.

I also modified the track width up to 60ft which may help lap detection as well.

James
The track that is made through the Maps menu is the one that does the segments and the location of the tags in the Track Report. The GPS map is only used for the GPS functions. This causes a lot of people trouble.

One the track width, places like Sebring, Pocono, Daytona, and other really wide tracks can cause problems where the GPS doesn't get triggered because of how wide the track is. Right now the best solution is to set the track width wider. There will be a better solution in the future.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In the download options, you can specify how you break out the tests. (one for all laps each date, one for each run, etc.)
You can't do that in RS3.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have it turn on when RPM > 1500 and MPH > 45. I power down the system after I get back to the pits.
I would go lower than the 1200 rpm to around 800 and the speed to around 25. Also check to make sure it's set to all conditions and not any (to keep then number of files down).

In your laps that were separated into multiple files, did you go below 45 mph?
Old 11-19-2015, 12:13 AM
jshoffit
Track Day

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I would go lower than the 1200 rpm to around 800 and the speed to around 25. Also check to make sure it's set to all conditions and not any (to keep then number of files down).
Yes, it was set to ALL conditions, not ANY conditions. Good point.
I also lowered the RPM per your recommendation.

Yes, definitely. But in the file with 15 continuous laps, I also got under 45 mph (twice in Rattlesnake, and once at the entrance to Horseshoe).

It will be interesting to take it out with the new settings and see if the lower MPH trigger fixes it.

Thanks!

James
Old 11-19-2015, 12:22 AM
jshoffit
Track Day

Upon further review, it looks like it split laps when I was down below 45 for a "more extended time". Not sure how to quantify that but a dip under 45 for a half -second doesn't trigger a new file, but if I stay down there a second or two, it might. I am completely guessing on the "half second" and "second or two". But it does appear to happen when I was in traffic (or that's what I'll blame, LOL).
Old 11-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Upon further review, it looks like it split laps when I was down below 45 for a "more extended time". Not sure how to quantify that but a dip under 45 for a half -second doesn't trigger a new file, but if I stay down there a second or two, it might. I am completely guessing on the "half second" and "second or two". But it does appear to happen when I was in traffic (or that's what I'll blame, LOL).
That's your problem. The dash was set to all conditions and you didn't satisfy them for a long enough time that it stopped recording. With the new start conditions you should be fine.

There is no way (right now) to combine sessions when downloading in RS3. Italy is working on making it so we have the download options like RS2 gave us.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Great thread
I'll be going through everything here to make sure I'm configured correctly
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM
jlanka
Drifting

OK so I took a look at my settings, which caused me to get a lot of 1 and 2 lap downloads. Below is a snap of the setting page, what mods should I make to best eliminate those spurious laps? Thanks in advance. Jeff
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Change the Custom Conditions from 3000 rpm to 1200 rpm and from 35 mph to 25 mph should do it.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:10 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Change the Custom Conditions from 3000 rpm to 1200 rpm and from 35 mph to 25 mph should do it.
OK thanks a lot. And just to verify, the reason I got multiple sessions was every time the car went _below_ 35 MPH it started a new session? If so that makes a lot of sense because turn 5 at Summit I was seeing 30 MPH
Old 11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlanka
just to verify, the reason I got multiple sessions was every time the car went _below_ 35 MPH it started a new session? If so that makes a lot of sense because turn 5 at Summit I was seeing 30 MPH
Yes.

And also, you can go through Summit Point T5 quicker than that.

vMin at T6 is usually the slowest point on a Summit lap. If you increase your vMin at T5 (and shorten the duration around that speed) just one or two miles per hour every session or every event, it will REALLY make a difference to your average speed over the lap...
Old 11-19-2015, 12:05 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Yes.

And also, you can go through Summit Point T5 quicker than that.

vMin at T6 is usually the slowest point on a Summit lap. If you increase your vMin at T5 (and shorten the duration around that speed) just one or two miles per hour every session or every event, it will REALLY make a difference to your average speed over the lap...
Interesting. I'm a yellow so I'm still a virtual rookie. My instructor told me to head straight for the apex on T5, instead of a normal turn-in/apex/track out line. Do you agree with that?

Quick Reply: How can I group my sessions better?