Notices

misc???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:16 AM
tentenths
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misc???

New to AIM and have not figured out math channels at all but I have read of some good ones. Looking for these:

turn radius channel
wot % channel (for driver's confidence as per PK)
time channel (shows UTC or GPS time stamp) to help me sync to video

Is there an online repository I just haven't found? Also for test files?

Can I find and then load a config for a specific corvette and will the gears be in there or is gear calc required when any new configs are loaded in to DL?

How can I see channels reports for segments? Roger alludes to this in a youtube video.

Is the accelerometers on the DL better than the GPS? The values are always different as GPS seems @3mph faster? Which to use?

Traqmate wants the unit as close to center, low down and level so why does that not apply to the DL?

I hate loosing visibility and the suction setup on the left of the wheel does take away a bit so I’m going to try to mount it in a camaro with the cd holder as seen here http://goo.gl/ViOf59 on post #27. I understand 7 sats is enough for accuracy but this position will be more obscured to the sky. Any thoughts? Center mount point though.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Quick answers as I'm running out the door.

Closest to CoG is best, but the differences aren't that large to worry about.

GPS speed is the most accurate. Wheel speeds are influenced by tire roll out, speed growth, tire slip, and other inaccuracies. Real accelerometers are better than GPS if they are available and calibrated.

I'd have to look to see if the Corvette transmits gear. If not, you can use the included math channel in RS2 to get a gear chart.

Bob Knox's book and John Block's www.autoware.com webinars are the best for learning and using math channels. Both will give you a large list of them and teach you how to really use them. They are great resources.

The better view of the sky the better the GPS info, regardless of the number of satellites.

Corner Radius (sub your channel names in)
IF(GT(abs(GPS_LatAcc),0.5),abs((GPS_Speed*1.467)^2/(GPS_LatAcc*32.167)),5000)

Time
time()

What do you want for WOT?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by tentenths
wot % channel (for driver's confidence as per PK)

Is the accelerometers on the DL better than the GPS? The values are always different as GPS seems @3mph faster? Which to use?

Traqmate wants the unit as close to center, low down and level so why does that not apply to the DL?

I hate loosing visibility and the suction setup on the left of the wheel does take away a bit so I’m going to try to mount it in a camaro with the cd holder as seen here.
There is a really good discussion, I think started by cetom in this section a while back, where Roger set out the order of channels required to calculate percentage full throttle over the lap. Works well.

Yes. WAY better, but if you compare actual to actual, GPS to GPS, you'll get good info. Trick is to mount the Solo as vertical as you can and not canted side-to-side, then calibrate it in place on a level surface (the car). GPS is typically different from wheel speed due to the factors Matt pointed out. I like GPS speed.

I never had issues with the Traqmate on the gunwale or other places besides low and central, so I don't worry about the Solo.

Can't recommend mounting the Solo in a place it can't see 180 degrees (or thereabouts) of the horizon. I see a lot of people mount high and to the left on the windscreen or near the rear view mirror.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-04-2015, 12:50 AM
tentenths
Advanced

Thanks...so based on the responses:

gps speed is best

internal lat and lon accelerometers are best

there is no online place to download test files? I'm stunned AIM does not have a few somewhere to help test their software???

there is NO ability to see channel reports referenced to segments???...Roger does mention this in a video but does not show it. Traqmate wins on this.

Matt...the time math channel does give time from start of lap. What I'm trying to get is a math channel which will display the exact real time of day. GPS time or UTC. Gps has this embedded but not sure a math channel can extract it? I want this to sync to time stamped videos.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I can send you a couple of test files to play with. Shoot me an email at matt at trailbrake.net and I'll get them over to you.

You can do a track report and it will give you a map with values on it. This will give you the value of the channel at the beginning and end of the segments from the track map.

I do not believe you can get the GPS time from any of the data that was produced from an MXL, Solo, Solo DL, etc. In the future, I believe you will be able to get it from the MXL2, MXS, and MXG.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:26 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Thanks Matt. I tried the track report thing and yes it shows values but seems to put them where it wants. Did I miss something?

The radius math channel you sent I entered like this:

which shows as this:

I'm sure I am just not setting the scale or something???

I think it should look close to this:

from http://www.datamc.org/2014/02/01/radius/

or maybe like this:

I'm sure it's something simple???

Last edited by tentenths; 10-04-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:53 PM
tentenths
Advanced

In setting up engine analysis, I have my car's weight with driver 4020 and Cd .39 (drag coefficient) but not Cx???? Where do I find Cx values for vehicles and where to find the frontal surface value???

tia

Quick Reply: misc???