Notices

AiM user, want to compare video laps, what is the cheapest (non AiM) solution?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AiM user, want to compare video laps, what is the cheapest (non AiM) solution?

I am a long time AiM user, but one field where AiM is still majorly lacking is in video comparison. They have this great SmartyCam with data overlay rendering and all that, but in the end the only thing you can do is look at your lap. If you want to compare sectors from one lap to another the only solution is to look at the graphs in Race Studio Analysis.

If you really have a lot of time on your hands you can take the SmartyCam SD card, start looking for the laps you want to see, use some video tool and put them next to each other to compare, but it's a rather complicated process and not very user friendly or flexible in the end. This more the kind of stuff you do when home from your latest track day.

Since I always look at my data between 2 stints I don't have a lot of time to fiddle around with stuff. The faster I can go from downloading data from the car to seeing what I want to see the better, especially as time is limited and so is my IQ after 30 minutes of sauna driving.

So the main question: what is the cheapest solution that someone that already runs an AiM logger can install to do video comparison. Mind you, I am not looking for a system that integrates with the AiM logger, or uses the logger's data files. It can be completely standalone and used in parallel to the AiM system.

Simple specs: gps-based camera recorder that splits laps (I can make sure the start-finish markers of the AiM logger and that thing are equal), allows you do open the resulting files on a pc, select 2 random laps and overlay them so you can see what you did differently behind the wheel.

There currently is this:
http://www.race-navigator.com/en/rn-app/

but the cheapest version costs more than an AiM logger + SmartyCam HD combined.

Come to think of it, maybe I should write it myself so it runs on an iPhone....
Old 09-29-2015, 06:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Not cheap, but Video VBOX blows AiM away and is the best side-by-side video comparison tool in existence. Used 2-camera Lite systems available for $1500 USD every so often, $1750 new. HD version $2620.

Positions can be compared by Time/Distance/GPS Position for up to six laps in video with synced, basic data.

Obviously, the new .xrk files produced by the new dashes (MXG/MXS/MXL2) and the EVO5 as well as perhaps an updated EVO4 have GPS position and UTC time stamps embedded, for this specific purpose in the new Race Studio 3 Analysis software.

So, we wait...

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-29-2015, 06:13 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Yeah I know. In theory AiM has everything in place to do this. Everything except consumer ready software that is ...
Old 09-30-2015, 12:17 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AIMs transport controls are horrible. Traqmate can sync and scrub ok on 1 video not 2 and VBOX and Racekeeper apparently do video comparison much better.

I found a workaround (until AIM get’s this right) that works well for me.

First I tried the free http://www.kinovea.org/ which is actually designed solely for video comparison. It has a great interface at first look but plays back choppy on my cheap win10 laptop and then I determined the transport controls can really be better. It might be fine for others.

After more searching there are some players that allow you to play 2 movies in 2 windows at the exact same time but not pause scrub in sync.

Then I found the free https://potplayer.daum.net/ and changed settings so left right arrow key move by 1 second and F and D by the frame. Perfect!!! The better transport control sets this apart.

For me watching 2 videos at the same time in real time is not as useful as pausing finding a reference point on the track and lining both videos up and comparing entry, mid and exit marks.

My workflow for video in my car (originally for Traqmate but now AIM) is run 2 cameras, front windshield, and side on the driver and then when I get home find best laps and use http://racerender.com/ and insert the driver in a small box upper left of frame and then overlay data and then do the same for a co-driver or comparison car. Then I look at these in pot so I can see realtime data at each point...more work but very very useful...in fact deeply analyzing the line based on actual track positions has yielded me a detailed plan for what to try at njmp next.

The data analysis find the spots and the video analysis verifies.

and here is what I do after I’m done and want to archive https://goo.gl/vkFwEf

Last edited by tentenths; 09-30-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tentenths
Then I look at these in pot so I can see realtime data at each point...more work but very very useful...in fact deeply analyzing the line based on actual track positions has yielded me a detailed plan for what to try at njmp next.

The data analysis find the spots and the video analysis verifies.
^^THIS^^

I don't have time for the excellent workarounds you've developed at the track between sessions, so when I am working trackside with a driver with AiM/MoTeC/Cosworth/Bosch/RD2, I ALWAYS add a two camera SD or one camera HD VVB in a self contained, battery-powered nylon bag.

Within 60 seconds after they come in, I can have all that information up and on the screen and we can go to work.

The value of studying and comparing the attitude of the car at THE SAME GPS coordinates is incredible. The fact that the Circuit Tools software does ALL of what you are doing through multiple steps automatically makes it worth every penny. For me...

I have a number of clients with multiple systems, because NO system does everything one needs to quickly, safely and efficiently move forward...
Old 09-30-2015, 01:02 PM
tentenths
Advanced

Peter...Since it's your gig you gotta have all the tools!!! I want to rob your car at the next event
Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Peter...Since it's your gig you gotta have all the tools!!! I want to rob your car at the next event
Hahaha!

tentenths, I have to tell you. First with the single-lap export workaround and now this, you are truly blazing a new and excellent trail. Best of all, you're sharing this info with everyone who wants to take the time and has the knowledge to do it.

Thank you!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

tentenths, you describe the exact problem. It's a whole lot of hocus-pocus to get that stuff running. Something you want to avoid if you only have 30 minutes between 2 runs.
The cheapest VBOX is 50% more expensive than a Smartycam HD over here. If only AiM would give us a timeframe for when we can expect video comparison. Right now, except for the GPS_Speed, the GPS info inside RS2 is not very useful IMO. Since I am nearing the end of the racing season it would be silly money to buy a VBOX for only a couple of days and see AiM bring an integrated solution somewhere in February 2016 ...
Old 10-01-2015, 11:31 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

As far as I can tell, this is not possible with Traqmate either? The only ones that allow this are Race Navigator and VBox?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:38 AM
tentenths
Advanced

If my time was limited I would simply use GPS and compare lines and maybe during lunch look at video.

Look on AIM and see lap number of fastest lap and lap number of one to compare. Then open the 2 video files and manually scrub to beginning of each lap on the 2 video windows. I think I could be comparing laps within 10 minutes including the download time from camera to laptop so yes if you only have 30 minutes it wont work...but in the evening before the 2nd day of the event works and FREE in my book is pretty good. I actually do this at home and make notes for next time to that track, I only use the data at the track.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:42 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

If my time was limited I would simply use GPS and compare lines and maybe during lunch look at video.
Try that with AiM software. I wish you good luck

Look on AIM and see lap number of fastest lap and lap number of one to compare. Then open the 2 video files and manually scrub to beginning of each lap on the 2 video windows. I think I could be comparing laps within 10 minutes including the download time from camera to laptop so yes if you only have 30 minutes it wont work...but in the evening before the 2nd day of the event works and FREE in my book is pretty good. I actually do this at home and make notes for next time to that track, I only use the data at the track.
I work in IT as a developer. I hate manual labor for stuff that can quite easily be done automatically.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
As far as I can tell, this is not possible with Traqmate either? The only ones that allow this are Race Navigator and VBox?
No. Only possible with MoTeC i2 Pro, Race-Keeper, Video VBOX and Race Technology. Four systems do this.

Oh, Race Navigator, too. Which I have NEVER seen in North America...
Old 10-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

You can quickly compare the lines with the GPS map to see where they are different. Zoom in and you can check out corners.

There is some really neat GPS stuff in the works. Don't know release dates, but I think it will be very popular and make the GPS support even better.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Try that with AiM software. I wish you good luck

I work in IT as a developer. I hate manual labor for stuff that can quite easily be done automatically.
On the former, he's outlined a workaround to pull individual laps and works well.

On the latter, surely you KNOW the solution to your dilemma?

MONEY! Hahahaha!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You can quickly compare the lines with the GPS map to see where they are different. Zoom in and you can check out corners.

There is some really neat GPS stuff in the works. Don't know release dates, but I think it will be very popular and make the GPS support even better.
You can compare lines, but not with circuit outlines...

The GPS stuff in the works will aid accuracy and synchronization function, but I would gladly trade those improvements for practical capability that other systems have demonstrated already, for years...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AiM user, want to compare video laps, what is the cheapest (non AiM) solution?