Notices

Need AIM solo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:32 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Need AIM solo

I'd like to order an AiM solo with a suction cup mount from a supporting vendor but have a few questions:

1. Is the RAM mount a good option?
2. I'm sticking with my GoPro for video, so can I overlay the video with the data from the solo with software?
3. Is the solo priced controlled, or are there discounts?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:19 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The RAM suction cup is very good, most people use it. E-mail me for pricing, I do offer a RL discount. Tell me what your car is also. jandsaustin1@verizon.net
Old 09-16-2015, 03:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

RAM Mount is terrific. Metal and plastic, and an AWESOME suction cup. Clean off the windshield with good glass cleaner first.

Fine, buy RaceRender 3 and follow the directions with your GP video and Solo to match the two. First few times it takes a little time but you'll get quicker. Make the Power Options on the laptop set to High Performance, saves LOTS of time crunching HD video.

I offer free RL shipping but no discounts except to established shops. I make it up in support...

Honestly, you're fine with Jerry or Matt, too. We all support the RL community in a variety of ways.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts
Default Need AIM solo

Duplicate
Old 09-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
RAM Mount is terrific. Metal and plastic, and an AWESOME suction cup. Clean off the windshield with good glass cleaner first.

Fine, buy RaceRender 3 and follow the directions with your GP video and Solo to match the two. First few times it takes a little time but you'll get quicker. Make the Power Options on the laptop set to High Performance, saves LOTS of time crunching HD video.

I offer free RL shipping but no discounts except to established shops. I make it up in support...

Honestly, you're fine with Jerry or Matt, too. We all support the RL community in a variety of ways.
Support isn't a problem from any AiM dealer on Rennlist.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:32 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the support provided by Jerry, Matt and Peter. Your decision to buy from one of them is a good one.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I've used a Ram suction cup mount for Solo for many years and am now using it with a new Solo DL. It has worked very well but occasionally falls off. Some redo the installation regularly, I use a tether. Some PCA Regions insist on a tether, most don't seem to notice.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Bill, I have found a HUGE difference wiping the inside of the glass very carefully with an ammonia (or similarly serious) based glass cleaner. The fumes from the dash and other porous interior bits leave a film on the glass inside such that the cup can't seal.

Also, wiping off the suction cup and making sure the RAM suction cup mount isn't stored in such a way that the soft rubber distorts or has any sort of indentation on the edge of the cup, the flat part.

I have NEVER lost one to coming loose on track, not even with a big impact!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:52 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

I appreciate all the helpful insight everyone! I have a solo and ram mount on order from Jerry. Thanks, I look forward to some data analysis to improve my skills.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:10 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
I appreciate all the helpful insight everyone! I have a solo and ram mount on order from Jerry. Thanks, I look forward to some data analysis to improve my skills.
You will love it. I have had one for years and have become addicted to its +/- Predictive Mode which gives you instant feedback on how you're doing in real time. Extremely helpful when working on a track.

I have yet to look at the data off-track on a computer though.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:00 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
You will love it. I have had one for years and have become addicted to its +/- Predictive Mode which gives you instant feedback on how you're doing in real time. Extremely helpful when working on a track.

I have yet to look at the data off-track on a computer though.
Live predictive mode does seem like a very cool feature. One question on it - I'm assuming it only works on full lap time and not sector based?

I ask because let's say I'm in a DE and I get held up before I get a point by, the remainder of the lap the solo will show a deficit to my best time in predictive mode even if I improve my elapsed time through later sectors, correct?

This is where I see additional value in the data traces viewed on a laptop after sessions where split times between runs can be compared. I suppose it's not a huge issue if you run on a clear track, but I get very few fully clear laps in HPDEs.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:50 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Live predictive mode does seem like a very cool feature. One question on it - I'm assuming it only works on full lap time and not sector based?

I ask because let's say I'm in a DE and I get held up before I get a point by, the remainder of the lap the solo will show a deficit to my best time in predictive mode even if I improve my elapsed time through later sectors, correct?

This is where I see additional value in the data traces viewed on a laptop after sessions where split times between runs can be compared. I suppose it's not a huge issue if you run on a clear track, but I get very few fully clear laps in HPDEs.
Yes, it's on full lap time but that doesn't matter. Let's say you're showing -0.50s due to some good work on the lap so far and you hit traffic so the diff goes to +0.75s. If, after traffic clears, you do everything as well as your reference lap then the diff stays at +0.75s. However, if you do some magic in a turn and that diff goes down to +0.40s then you STILL got the instant feedback that you should be doing more of what you just did that caused the change. It's not the absolute value of the predictive diff that matters -- it's the CHANGES in those values that give you the instant feedback. It's the "diff of the diff", so to speak.

So you can work a segment regardless of what the predictive diff value is or whether you hit any traffic before or after it.

Looking at data off the track and after the fact is a different animal. With instant data/feedback you get to associate/relate the changes in the predictive diff with the totality of your sensory inputs (eyes, hands, feet, body, ears) in real time, while your recollection about them is fresh. You will learn how taking a certain segment well "feels" with all your senses. Most of that memory is gone, and can't even be "described" off the track while looking at the laptop. Hope this makes sense.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, it's on full lap time but that doesn't matter. Let's say you're showing -0.50s due to some good work on the lap so far and you hit traffic so the diff goes to +0.75s. If, after traffic clears, you do everything as well as your reference lap then the diff stays at +0.75s. However, if you do some magic in a turn and that diff goes down to +0.40s then you STILL got the instant feedback that you should be doing more of what you just did that caused the change. It's not the absolute value of the predictive diff that matters -- it's the CHANGES in those values that give you the instant feedback. It's the "diff of the diff", so to speak.

So you can work a segment regardless of what the predictive diff value is or whether you hit any traffic before or after it.

Looking at data off the track and after the fact is a different animal. With instant data/feedback you get to associate/relate the changes in the predictive diff with the totality of your sensory inputs (eyes, hands, feet, body, ears) in real time, while your recollection about them is fresh. You will learn how taking a certain segment well "feels" with all your senses. Most of that memory is gone, and can't even be "described" off the track while looking at the laptop. Hope this makes sense.
Sounds very useful indeed! As long as you glance at the predictive diff after you clear slower traffic to get the new baseline diff from the fastest lap, I agree the diff of the diff still shows you improvement.

I'm looking forward to using it. Sometimes I get through a corner and it feels much better than before, but it's difficult to quantify if the change was an improvement in speed or a figment of my vivid imagination.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sometimes I get through a corner and it feels much better than before, but it's difficult to quantify if the change was an improvement in speed or a figment of my vivid imagination.
THIS is why you need data...
Old 09-17-2015, 08:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I'm looking forward to using it. Sometimes I get through a corner and it feels much better than before, but it's difficult to quantify if the change was an improvement in speed or a figment of my vivid imagination.
You will be amazed by how often your perception of "fast" differs from reality (Solo's verdict). This its most interesting and entertaining aspect. In my earlier days with the Solo, I would set my lap records when I decided to just chill, relax, to let the tires coll off a little. Couldn't believe what the Solo was showing. That's when I learned that being chill and "in the zone" is a must for a perfect lap.

Quick Reply: Need AIM solo