Notices

MXL2 Lambda/AFR data not getting logged but displays on dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:23 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MXL2 Lambda/AFR data not getting logged but displays on dash

A little help from the gallery? I have a Lambda One controller connected to my MXL2 dash via expansion hub along with a Smarty Cam. The controller is outputting a signal which the system recognizes and displays on the dash. While out on track, I have real time reporting of my lambda/afr data. However, I would really like to be able to view this information when not racing. That is, I would like to see the data captured and available as a measure in race studio but it is not.

Here, a nice long list of channels but nothing from the LCC0 device:

In the dash configuration it (LCC0_AFR) is available as a channel at the bottom of the list:

The lambda/afr data is also available to stream to the smarycam:

It's not available as a channel here in the configuration:

I've missed something but not sure what it is. Any hints?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Go to the CAN expansions, add LCU-One CAN, make sure its powered up and transmit!

Edit: if its reading on the dash, it should be in there...

I've got one here. I'll try t.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AFR

I have the LCU-one in my car with MXL 2. It is under CAN expansion as Peter says. Here is some data while doing a dyno run. I think this is what you are looking for

Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

First, make sure you have the latest firmware in the MXL2. Some of the early ones had trouble with the CAN devices.

It won't show up in the channels tab as that is only things that go directly to the dash (no channel expansions or other CAN devices).

Can you post a screen shot of the CAN Expansions tab with the LCU-One selected? Make sure you have the serial number in there and the name, though if you have the data on the dash, it's has to be set up right.

Also, what is at the top of the channel list in RS2 Anallysis if you scroll up? I know it's a bit of a silly question, but if everything is configured right, it should be there. I have a bunch of people running this setup without problems, so it must be a config problem.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Connect to your dash, select the cloud update icon top right of the screen. Install 3.05.02 RS3 first!

Then, clone the config while adding the LCU-One over the CAN Expansion, Save and Transmit.

Should work.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Connect to your dash, select the cloud update icon top right of the screen. Install 3.05.02 RS3 first!

Then, clone the config while adding the LCU-One over the CAN Expansion, Save and Transmit.

Should work.
He has 3.05.02 already installed. He could update RS2 Analysis to 2.55.12, but that isn't what is causing his problem.

I think it's in the list and he has to scroll up.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh and bump your logging rates on the throttle, steering, and brake pressure up.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:51 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Can you post a screen shot of the CAN Expansions tab with the LCU-One selected? Make sure you have the serial number in there and the name, though if you have the data on the dash, it's has to be set up right.

Also, what is at the top of the channel list in RS2 Anallysis if you scroll up? I know it's a bit of a silly question, but if everything is configured right, it should be there. I have a bunch of people running this setup without problems, so it must be a config problem.
LCU-one pictured. Am pretty sure it's working since I do get the data on the dash. It's just not getting logged

Top of the channel list ... no sighting of the LCU.

Firmware reflected on here for pc/laptop is running on respective devices ie they are and have been running the latest.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Oh and bump your logging rates on the throttle, steering, and brake pressure up.
Done - upped to 50hz. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What version of RS3 did you build the config in? That is a very weird problem. If the config was built in an old version of RS3, I would try building a new config and see if that works.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:01 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

The dash was built in March from scratch and the LCU added at that time.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would try rebuilding it and seeing if that changes things. In March there was some CAN support trouble that may be causing the problems. Rebuild the config, transmit it to the dash, and then see if the channels are logged.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:47 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Ugh - ok, will try a brand new dash and see if that shakes anything out. On the plus side, it sounds like confirmation that I hit all of the configuration items to ensure the expansion channel got logged.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

A new dash configuration did not fix this. I did realize, however, that I was mistaken and that the afr is not displayed in the dash. The letters "afr" appear but there is no data value, not even 0s, displayed.

The controller is plugged into an expansion hub with the gps05 and smartycam hd which both continue to function fine. I double checked plugs to ensure they are seated securely and they are.

When installed, the controller could be queried for serial number.

Now even with a dash config built on the newest firmware, repeated again today with the .56 release, the controller is not detected.

Is there a way to test that the controller (< 3mos old) has not gone bad? Is that likely or even possible? The sensor gets very hot so there is power to it.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would say you have a hardware problem at this point. I know the devices all work together ok as I have this same basic setup in a bunch of cars without problems. I would say to check with whoever you bought your system from or AiM to see what they want you to do to change things out.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

kristap

I have a very similar setup, 2 data hubs, GPS 05, SC HD, and LCU 1. No issues with the MXL 2.

I notice on the last screen shot that the s/n is not shown for the LCU 1. On the prior screen shot it recognized the LCU and filled in the s/n. What changed? Have you trimmed the corners off of your download cable? The design is poor and that connection is hit or miss with the stock download cable. I find that the plug goes in further and gives a better connection if you trim a little off the corners. On the other hand, it did recognize the MXL 2. Back to my original question, what did you do different between the first screen shot and the second one.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: MXL2 Lambda/AFR data not getting logged but displays on dash