Notices

Is it common for the SmartyCam HD to fail to save video following a crash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Is it common for the SmartyCam HD to fail to save video following a crash?

I suffered a moderate crash at WGI, sliding the right rear then right front into the ARMCO. Though more than a tap it was far from a hard it and I was fine.
Following the crash the camera was askew on its roll cage mount; not sure if that was the camera getting bumped (it is very close to my center net and possibly the seat bent toward it, but that would really surprise me) or if it moved on the ball mount because of the car's lateral deceleration.
Unfortunately the SCHD v.2 failed to record the run. The previous run recorded fine.
The car did not lose electrical power and even if it had, the camera has its own battery.
Is it common for the SCHD to fail to write the file following a crash? I would like to have had the video as I do the forensics.
Thanks for any insight. I've heard from other SCHD owners having similar experiences.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:34 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,500 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I've had the same issue following three spins. I wanted to see what happened (other than running out of talent) and in all cases there was no video. The smartycam does have a battery which allows it to power down normally once the ignition and power are turned off.

Tried to search for this issue and did not find anything.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rick

Sorry to hear about the crash. I have not heard of your camera issue due to an impact. One of my guys crashed last year, major impact, destroyed the car and the video was in tact. Did the camera generate a corrupted file or no file at all. If you ended up with a corrupted file, I might be able to recover it. Maybe Roger C. can jump in with his insight.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:32 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No video file at all; first run saved fine and downloaded properly. I have the download setting on erase after importing but not sure if that mattered. There are log files etc. still on the car but no (other) video.
Thanks re the sympathy. Still trying to figure out what happened. The dash data is available and I have that to look at.
Left rear tire lost pressure but am wondering whether that is cause or effect. Spencer has the car, damage isn't severe, I am OK. Now I need to learn from it.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I've had trouble with a camera recently that wouldn't record because it didn't know the door was shut all the way. Took me a bit to figure out that it was going on.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've had trouble with a camera recently that wouldn't record because it didn't know the door was shut all the way. Took me a bit to figure out that it was going on.
I recall that; my first run recorded. Did not open door between runs. Door was snug after the crash.
But thank you; its not the first time a record has failed, just the most disappointing.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

I've had several cameras that were at a low state of charge record a file, then not start the next time. Even reading single digit or low teen percentage charge, indicative of a camera that has been sitting for some time, and even connected to the Solo DL or other logger and charging, I have seen the cameras not record.

So, to shops that prep cars, I do recommend that they fully charge the camera after more than a few weeks layoff. Sorry for your trouble, Rick.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-15-2015, 11:10 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

When I look at a camera under normal circumstances it has an on screen warning saying that the power is low after I turn the ignition off, then it the video ends normally.

Three times when I have spun and the power has stopped there is no video file at all. It has never happened otherwise.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I had one not record a race today. Recorded the trip to the grid, then nothing. When I turned it on, it said 2% battery, then low battery warning and shut off ensued. This was while connected to an EVO 4 through a Data Hub.

Charge it up before a race weekend.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:06 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Peter
Sounds like you had a good weekend racing - even if it didn't record.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Wonderful, Rick! Always fun to walk the talk! See you at the Glen? Metro DE and/or Club Race?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Peter
Doesn't look like it.
Focused on Palmer and Tremblant for the next few months.
And walking that talk is definitely impressive.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I thought the Smartycam came on when the car got powered on. Never heard of a door having anything to do with it. Can you explain?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I thought the Smartycam came on when the car got powered on. Never heard of a door having anything to do with it. Can you explain?
The camera does power up with the car power. The door that covers the memory card needs to be closed for the camera to record. If it's not closed all the way, it can cause problems.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

The camera does power up with the car power. The door that covers the memory card needs to be closed for the camera to record. If it's not closed all the way, it can cause problems.
<smacks head> The door to the CAMERA. OK - makes sense now. I thought somehow you were talking about the car door.

I need some caffeine.

Quick Reply: Is it common for the SmartyCam HD to fail to save video following a crash?