Notices

RacePak G2X question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:10 PM
aclark133
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RacePak G2X question

Hi guys, total newbie to data acquisition here. I saw a racepak system for sale and it got me thinking I could use it for OBD2 data logging. My reason for this is my 993 may be getting forced induction in the future and talked with protomotive about having my ecu flashed with a base map. Would this work for data logging to help tweak the tune? I also plan on getting into auto cross and DE days once my suspension and safety equipment is finished. I'll take any help I can get, even if I'm in the wrong forum!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I don't believe you'll get anything other than RPM from a 993 OBDII port and even then I don't think it will be fast enough to be of use.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 PM
aclark133
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't believe you'll get anything other than RPM from a 993 OBDII port and even then I don't think it will be fast enough to be of use.
Thanks Matt. Does this mean I would have to add in my own sensors? How about the g2x unit as a whole, or would my money be better spent elsewhere...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Yes, you would have to add in your own sensors. Racepak is really big in the drag race market, but not in road racing. I'll shoot you a PM with some more thoughts.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:00 AM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a G2X for several years in my SRF, which didn't even have OBD2. I liked that it had predictive lap timing and lap memory built into the dash in an easy-to-use way. When linked with their other modules, you can do quite a bit with it since it's a full CAN system that's pretty programmable. I don't think it has many analog inputs out of the box, so it might be easier to set up other loggers. It depends on if it's the old (not all all waterproof) black box or the newer red one. Once I got used to the software I liked the data display, but it's not as powerful as AIM or as easy to use as Traqmate. Switching from track to track was more of a pain than the other two as well. Being less common, you're also less likely to find other people with whom to share data . but if you only care about logging and developing your engine that won't matter.
Buying it cheap, I say go for it, but if I were to pay full retail, I'd go with an AIM.
(I have no experience with CDS or Motec, so maybe they're better/worse but that's getting away from your question.)
Old 04-23-2015, 02:50 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I switched to AiM from Racepak, and I'm very glad I did.

The racepak software is hard to use, and hasn't been upgraded in many years. The AiM Race Studio software is light years better.

Racepak really seems to be focused on drag rather than road racing. AiM has great support for the road racing community.

LMK if I can answer specific questions about the RP software.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 PM
aclark133
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your input guys. I'd say I'm mostly looking for an engine data logger, with the lap timer stuff included for something I can grow into. FWIW, it's the older black unit.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:22 AM
loxner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasilko
I switched to AiM from Racepak, and I'm very glad I did.

The racepak software is hard to use, and hasn't been upgraded in many years. The AiM Race Studio software is light years better.

Racepak really seems to be focused on drag rather than road racing. AiM has great support for the road racing community.

LMK if I can answer specific questions about the RP software.

+1 to all of this. Very happy with my decision to switch from RacePak to AiM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the racepak, you'll find that you have to add your own sensors (racepak's or 3rd party). It's a good enough system and if you already have it, use it. My advice would be to avoid going too far down the path adding sensors. It has more capabilities out of the box than most competing options but it is weak in the long run. Add a couple of sensor to get what you need but if you find that you want more than a couple of them, you should probably have a more robust system like the Aim dash (mxl2 or mxs).

Quick Reply: RacePak G2X question