Echo
Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Great minds think alike!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Jason White
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Did you follow all of the instructions at http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...00_102_eng.pdf

Double check your CAN output in the ECU, then check MXG is setup for the Haltech CAN V2. If those are configured correctly, then it's most likely a wiring problem

Connected to Can V2 and connected properly.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Do you get any GPS connection? It doesn't show as connected on your first photo of the dash.

Also, just to make sure, you have transmitted that config, shown in the photo above, to the MXG, correct?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:19 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a Haltech PS1000 that works fine with the MXL2.

There are 2 CAN protocols in the haltech config. CAN_V2 is what you want (not legacy).
Old 03-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Jason White
4th Gear

So the culprit was the Haltech CAN hub. Thank you for helping me out with the issue.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jason White
So the culprit was the Haltech CAN hub. Thank you for helping me out with the issue.
Good news!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Jason White
4th Gear

It is good news!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice. Post up if you have any more. Problems and we'll get you squared away.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:46 AM
jigga009
Advanced

Ok gang, I'm having a new issue:

Problem is that my AIM MXG is displaying some rather odd oil temp sensor readings.

My oil temp sensor is the Aim oil/coolant temp sensor (AIM PT100 sensor on RS3), connected to channel 3 of my MXG harness.

Tonight, where air temps in my garage are at about 0.0 degree C, and Coolant temps are sitting right at 12 degrees C ALL on a cold engine, my MXG is reporting my oil temp as -50 degrees C on the dash screens

When the engine is running while out driving today, it seems to sporadically shift between the proper temp reading of the oil and these highly exaggerated readings. Suffice to say, it sets off my programmed alarms relating to oil temp quite frequently when driving down the road, as oil temps can fluctuate from 70 degrees C down to 0 or lower degrees C in a split second.

All of this appeared to start the last time I added engine speed-coolant temp related alarms to the MXG a few days ago. They have nothing to do with oil temp. I have tried disabling the new alarms I added, but no dice.

Firmware on MXG and software on computer are the latest ones from AIM's website.

I have checked underneath the car at the sump, and the sensor is in good condition and plugged in. No damage or moisture penetration at all.

Or is this normal behaviour for the temp sensor with the MXG that I am seeing? I would have expected that on a cold engine, oil temp should read similar to my coolant temp...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jigga009; 03-12-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: clarification of the problem I am having...
Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 PM
jigga009
Advanced

Just as an update, in case anyone else is in a similar situation - I deleted all of the displays from RS3 and started with a new one from scratch. Same thing.

I have noticed though that while the engine is running and the oil is gaining heat, it starts to read normally again. When cold, the oil temp still reads something like -95 degrees C, but when the engine is started and allowed to warm up for a bit, the display starts to show more "normal" numbers with time.

From what I can see so far, there are 2 possibilities to explain what I am seeing:

1) the AIM coolant/oil temp sensor (PT100) might only be able to read temperatures from about perhaps 10-20 degrees C and up. Anything lower, and it might appear that AIM has not calibrated RS3 with the proper details to calculate oil temp accurately. Given that one cannot actually see or alter the calibration table for this sensor, it is hard to confirm this from my end.

2) Software bug.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jigga009
Ok gang, I'm having a new issue:

When the engine is running while out driving today, it seems to sporadically shift between the proper temp reading of the oil and these highly exaggerated readings.

I have checked underneath the car at the sump, and the sensor is in good condition and plugged in. No damage or moisture penetration at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Would make me want to spray some Stabilant 22 on the 719 connections.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:26 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The first thing I would do is to go "online" in RS 3 and record the milivolts when cold and as it warms up. You may be correct that the calibration doesn't consider 0 degrees C, but I doubt it. If you get changing mV readings as the car warms up, you could build a custom sensor for the PT100. If you have a wildly fluctuating mV the sensor is bad or you have a bad jumper.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:35 PM
jigga009
Advanced

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys... I will look into this

Contact 22 - Hard to find in stores locally, but I will look into it. I'm sure an electronics supply store somewhere would have the stuff.

Interestingly enough, the sensor is only 2-3 months old, and most of that has been sitting in my garage. With that said though, there is always the possibility that it is defective, given what I am seeing. I like the idea of verifying the MV readings on RS3 to see what is going on there.

I'll report back
Old 03-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good advice so far. The sensor is good to 0C as per http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...PT_103_eng.pdf

When I have seen sensors do that before, it's always been a bad connection somewhere. I would check the connections at the harness to patch cable and the patch cable to the sensor. Any contact cleaner would probably help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AIM MXG/MXS new user notes