Notices

BMW/Teves Mk60 ABS data to AiM loggers..

Old 02-06-2015, 01:45 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BMW/Teves Mk60 ABS data to AiM loggers..

I wouldn't mention this on a Porsche forum, but I hear that there are some people that put the BMW/Teves Mk60 ABS unit in Porsches so....

I have been running this ABS is my car for awhile and could never get the ABS light to work. I was always told the CAN stream output from the ABS doesn't work. Well I have found somebody that has the solution to the issue. I have verified that you can get CAN data from this ABS to the logger but there are some steps you have to do everytime to get it to work. He sells a piece that will make those steps not required (just turn it on and go- that I can't confirm at this point, but I have no doubt it will work as he says).

The other part is I have asked AiM to add the BMW_MINI ECU protocol to be available on the CAN2 stream of the new loggers to allow me to stream the ABS CAN stream into the logger and still stream ECU data to the logger.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by gobuffs
The other part is I have asked AiM to add the BMW_MINI ECU protocol to be available on the CAN2 stream of the new loggers to allow me to stream the ABS CAN stream into the logger and still stream ECU data to the logger.
Ah, so you want to stream TWO CAN INPUTS to the logger? Most loggers reserve CAN outputs...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-06-2015, 02:48 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

It did play into the decision to upgrade from a Pista to the MXG.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

The mini ecu on the second isn't a problem.

Not sure about the Teves issue. It sounds like a Teves problem, not AiM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Didn't say it was. Said there is a solution exists that the Trves can talk to the AiM. Realize there aren't going to be many that are interested, but if they are there is a solution.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Realize there aren't going to be many that are interested, but if they are there is a solution.
And do you want to share?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

I did...first post. " Well I have found somebody that has the solution to the issue. I have verified that you can get CAN data from this ABS to the logger but there are some steps you have to do everytime to get it to work. He sells a piece that will make those steps not required (just turn it on and go- that I can't confirm at this point, but I have no doubt it will work as he says)."

I just ordered this part from him and I am expecting to from him next week.

I have confirmed that the data is being transferred. I removed my ECU CAN wires and hooked up the ABS CAN wires. Cleared the ABS codes (running the mk60 in stand alone mode generates stored codes) and the data streams. If you want to cleared the stored codes before every session then you don't need the additional part. It is just a hassle.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sounds cool!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:28 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't mention this on a Porsche forum, but I hear that there are some people that put the BMW/Teves Mk60 ABS unit in Porsches so....

I have been running this ABS is my car for awhile and could never get the ABS light to work. I was always told the CAN stream output from the ABS doesn't work. Well I have found somebody that has the solution to the issue. I have verified that you can get CAN data from this ABS to the logger but there are some steps you have to do everytime to get it to work. He sells a piece that will make those steps not required (just turn it on and go- that I can't confirm at this point, but I have no doubt it will work as he says).

The Teves Mk60 does have the ABS alarm warning available via CAN and there is also a digital output signal from the unit. It clamps to ground when everything is good and goes open circuit if there is a problem. The Mk60 has 2 CAN transmit addresses and basically transmits 4 wheel speeds and 4 brake pressures and the ABS alarm is in the brake pressure template, CAN ID 153 offset 0 length 1 and bit mask Hex 02. The Mk60E5 has much better CAN transmit protocols. I can provide you the template if you need it.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We run the MK60E5, but are not communicating with the AiM MXL Pista (single CAN). We may switch to the MXL2 if we can get the wheel speeds and pressures through the second CAN. Installing the trim pot on the MK50E5 would be a nice plus (my ABS came from a Motec car).

Will the Teves MK60E5 integrate easily and seamlessly (no "each session" requirement) with the new MXL2?

Cheers,
Old 02-19-2015, 01:09 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Originally Posted by Krokodil
We run the MK60E5, but are not communicating with the AiM MXL Pista (single CAN). We may switch to the MXL2 if we can get the wheel speeds and pressures through the second CAN. Installing the trim pot on the MK50E5 would be a nice plus (my ABS came from a Motec car).

Will the Teves MK60E5 integrate easily and seamlessly (no "each session" requirement) with the new MXL2?

Cheers,
The problem we have with the AIM is that the engineers will have to write a custom template for the Teves Mk60E5 that can be applied to the secondary CAN input on the MXG/MXS/MXL2. All of the CAN protocols are "behind the scenes" and cannot be modified by the end user. I have the CAN addresses for all the templates for the Mk60E5 and they include much more that the brake pressures and wheel speeds you mention. The trim switch is programmed into the dash and 2D tables turn the voltage values to a number of 0-9 and then sent over CAN to the Teves unit. Also, the tire circumference is also transmitted over CAN to the Teves and I believe the AIM secondary CAN is a receive only and not a transmit/receive CAN. You may consider a MoTeC CDL3 that will have the CAN flexibility you require. Remember, you have the Porsche Cayman Drive CAN bus operating at 500K baud rate and the Teves Mk60E5 is 1M baud rate so essentially you need 2 CAN buses operating at separate speeds.

The channels from the Mk60E5 are:
4 wheel speeds (CAN)
4 wheel speeds (digital output)
4 brake pressures
master brake pressure
ABS alarm warning (CAN)
ABS alarm warning (analog output)
abs active
yaw rate
g force lat
g force long

The Mk60 channels are:
4 wheel speeds (CAN)
4 wheel speeds (digital output)
4 brake pressures
ABS alarm warning (CAN)
ABS alarm warning (analog output)

Old 02-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

The AiM CAN is only receive, but getting one written isn't a problem, especially if it will work with all of the Teves units. Also, putting things into the second CAN on the MXL2/MXG/MXS that are not on the current list is no problem.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:34 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The AiM CAN is only receive, but getting one written isn't a problem, especially if it will work with all of the Teves units. Also, putting things into the second CAN on the MXL2/MXG/MXS that are not on the current list is no problem.
The transmitting of tire circumference is used to get proper wheel speeds over CAN but I have also forced the Teves to place more bias to front/rear by sending false circumference sizes of the front/rear. The Cayman for instance is rear biased by default resulting in nervousness under hard braking when fitted with an aftermarket ABS system. I can calm it down by this method but then the CAN wheel speeds are somewhat incorrect. That is why I always wire in the digital output wheel speeds to get exact numbers. This method and the trim switch will never work on the AIM system because of the receive only CAN limitations. The Teves Mk60 would be the better choice for the competitors using the AIM MXG/MXS/MXL2.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the current setup:

Teves MK60E5 (purchased from a 997 Cup with Motec)
997 Cup dual master cylinders - re-sized for calipers - with bias adjustment
AiM MXL Pista
AiM brake pressure sensors on both the front and rear brake circuits

The ABS system works great, however we are not using all of the data and capabilities that the MK50E5 offers. All of my other sensors are AiM and I prefer not to swap them out for Motec.

We would like to get wheel speed and brake pressure for all four wheels to support tuning and diagnostics. Adding the trim pot would also be nice, but is not critical.

I was hopeful that this would be an easy integration with the new MXL2, but it appears that this is not the case.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Here is the current setup:

Teves MK60E5 (purchased from a 997 Cup with Motec)
997 Cup dual master cylinders - re-sized for calipers - with bias adjustment
AiM MXL Pista
AiM brake pressure sensors on both the front and rear brake circuits

The ABS system works great, however we are not using all of the data and capabilities that the MK50E5 offers. All of my other sensors are AiM and I prefer not to swap them out for Motec.

We would like to get wheel speed and brake pressure for all four wheels to support tuning and diagnostics. Adding the trim pot would also be nice, but is not critical.

I was hopeful that this would be an easy integration with the new MXL2, but it appears that this is not the case.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
CAN to current MXL Pista is not possible because of single CAN bus and multiple CAN speed requirements. CAN connection to MXL2 is possible but receive only so brake pressures would be available but CAN wheel speeds would be irrelevant because of the tire diameter values missing. You can wire in the digital wheel speeds as long as you have the MXL2 auxiliary harness that have provisions for all 4 speed inputs. As Matt pointed out, we will need the help of Italy for a Teves template but it can be done. Let us know if you need help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW/Teves Mk60 ABS data to AiM loggers..