Notices

BMW/Teves Mk60 ABS data to AiM loggers..

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by MoTeC Joe
CAN to current MXL Pista is not possible because of single CAN bus and multiple CAN speed requirements. CAN connection to MXL2 is possible but receive only so brake pressures would be available but CAN wheel speeds would be irrelevant because of the tire diameter values missing. You can wire in the digital wheel speeds as long as you have the MXL2 auxiliary harness that have provisions for all 4 speed inputs. As Matt pointed out, we will need the help of Italy for a Teves template but it can be done. Let us know if you need help.
I haven't worked with the Teves, but you would be able to correct the wheel speeds in RS2 with an adjustment to the channel by changing the A variable in the linear equation. You could make this a standard channel when you import the data as long as the circumference number isn't constantly changing.

Not as direct as what you want, but it should work if I understand the problem correctly.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:57 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I haven't worked with the Teves, but you would be able to correct the wheel speeds in RS2 with an adjustment to the channel by changing the A variable in the linear equation. You could make this a standard channel when you import the data as long as the circumference number isn't constantly changing.

Not as direct as what you want, but it should work if I understand the problem correctly.
Curt Jung should be able to program in the circumference directly to the Teves but will require Curt to physically be at the car or maybe a possibility of sending the unit to him. Much easier to send the circumference via CAN..
Old 02-19-2015, 04:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Much easier to send the circumference via CAN..

I do think the AiM MXL2/MXG/MXS will accept two different speed CAN inputs...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-19-2015, 04:19 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Originally Posted by ProCoach

I do think the AiM MXL2/MXG/MXS will accept two different speed CAN inputs...
Keyword being "inputs". Tire circumference would be a CAN transmitted value
Old 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Keyword being "inputs". Tire circumference would be a CAN transmitted value
Thanks for the clarification. Always learning...

So the circumference would be loaded as part of a dash config and sent to the ABS control unit?

Obviously, not this make dash.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Thanks for the clarification. Always learning...

So the circumference would be loaded as part of a dash config and sent to the ABS control unit?

Obviously, not this make dash.
Correct Peter. The tire circumference and trim switch value is transmitted via CAN from the logger to the Teves. Only the Mk60E5 though. The Mk60 would does not need this information. The system still works, just not to its full potential.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, Joe.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you all for the discussion. This is very helpful.

My MK60E5 works great without the communication (it was set up for the proper tire diameter), but it would be nice to get all of the pressure and wheel speed functionality.

Does the AiM MXL2 hardware have the potential to support transmit functionality and it just needs to be properly enabled (software/protocols?) by the AiM folks in Italy?

If a MXL2 can be made to work in this manner I will swap out my MXL Pista immediately, otherwise I am not sure it is worth the cost.

Cheers,
Old 02-19-2015, 08:46 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Thank you all for the discussion. This is very helpful.

My MK60E5 works great without the communication (it was set up for the proper tire diameter), but it would be nice to get all of the pressure and wheel speed functionality.

Does the AiM MXL2 hardware have the potential to support transmit functionality and it just needs to be properly enabled (software/protocols?) by the AiM folks in Italy?

If a MXL2 can be made to work in this manner I will swap out my MXL Pista immediately, otherwise I am not sure it is worth the cost.

Cheers,
Krokodil, The boys from AIM are here in Charlotte this week at the Motorsport Expo. I am spending the day with them tomorrow at the show. I spoke with Josh from the AIM California office tonight and he said they have the MXL2/MXG/MXS Teves template ready and it just needs to be implemented into the firmware/software. The CAN transmit is in theory supposed to work but I still need clarification. Stay tuned, I will get exact release dates for you tomorrow along with pictures of the new MXS 5" color display.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Krokodil, The boys from AIM are here in Charlotte this week at the Motorsport Expo. I am spending the day with them tomorrow at the show. I spoke with Josh from the AIM California office tonight and he said they have the MXL2/MXG/MXS Teves template ready and it just needs to be implemented into the firmware/software. The CAN transmit is in theory supposed to work but I still need clarification. Stay tuned, I will get exact release dates for you tomorrow along with pictures of the new MXS 5" color display.
Excellent. Thank you. We are not far from Josh and the AiM folks in CA and the race shop (Vision) works with them quite a bit. The customer service is always excellent.

We can work directly with them if they are interested as we have a car with a working MK60E, an existing MXL Pista, and a need for an MXL2.

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:26 PM
wparente
Intermediate

Joe - I'm not sure "exact release dates" and AIM go together. Don't get me wrong, I love my MXL2 but release timing is not one of their virtues.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Excellent. Thank you. We are not far from Josh and the AiM folks in CA and the race shop (Vision) works with them quite a bit. The customer service is always excellent.

We can work directly with them if they are interested as we have a car with a working MK60E, an existing MXL Pista, and a need for an MXL2.

Thanks again.
Say hi to Dwain and Tess. I worked on his race team on the Grand-Am Cup series back in 2005/2006. Our win in Laguna Seca.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:28 PM
MoTeC Joe
Track Day

Originally Posted by wparente
Joe - I'm not sure "exact release dates" and AIM go together. Don't get me wrong, I love my MXL2 but release timing is not one of their virtues.
So true wparente, so true. I am still waiting on the PDM they showed me 2 years ago...
Old 02-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Say hi to Dwain and Tess. I worked on his race team on the Grand-Am Cup series back in 2005/2006. Our win in Laguna Seca.
Will do. Did you stop by Dwain's shop a while back? With your wife/girlfriend? If so, I believe we met and spoke briefly.

Cheers,
Old 02-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting discussion.

Quick Reply: BMW/Teves Mk60 ABS data to AiM loggers..