Data System/Approach for the Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:37 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goosebug
Thanks ProCoach!
Will take a look. Is it a USB cable on the other end? I assumed the antenna was the radio. Will double check that as well and keep you posted. Maybe PM me your contact info/shop info/ etc
Thanks again
The antenna will look like this....

Charley
Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Thanks ProCoach!
Will take a look. Is it a USB cable on the other end? I assumed the antenna was the radio. Will double check that as well and keep you posted. Maybe PM me your contact info/shop info/ etc
Thanks again
It's USB on the computer end and a 3.5 mm microphone jack on the other.

I agree with Peter it's probably a Pista and to keep using it.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:12 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Vaughan, break down and buy a system that has been introduced since 2001! Both the DL1 and MyChron 3 came out in THAT year!

Seriously, the MyChron 3 can't be upgraded to GPS (I assume that's why you have the DL1 and Dash-2) and can't send information to or control a SmartyCam! Sheesh! Call me, I'll help an old Racer University faculty member out...
LOL! Cheers, but... when it works, it works... and now that we have so many years of data on one system...

The DL1 is a tough one to replace, because I wouldn't upgrade except for many more analogs... but then I can't use a large dash like the AIM ones are now - no room in the car, dash is too small! Besides, I don't usually need video for my data analysis... you know me...

(Besides, I can buy a spare engine for the cost of one of those setups! Guess which one I need more! LOL)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 924RACR

LOL! Cheers, but... when it works, it works... and now that we have so many years of data on one system...

The DL1 is a tough one to replace, because I wouldn't upgrade except for many more analogs... but then I can't use a large dash like the AIM ones are now - no room in the car, dash is too small! Besides, I don't usually need video for my data analysis... you know me...

(Besides, I can buy a spare engine for the cost of one of those setups! Guess which one I need more! LOL)
If you have lots of Mychron 3 data, it's still compatible with everything from a new system.

Is a G-Dash too big?

Video is incredible to see the attitude of the car, track placement, and a bunch of other things that don't show up in the data.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Goosebug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
It's USB on the computer end and a 3.5 mm microphone jack on the other. I agree with Peter it's probably a Pista and to keep using it.
Thanks. Ordered the cable and antenna. Hopefully it works!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:50 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Is a G-Dash too big?

Video is incredible to see the attitude of the car, track placement, and a bunch of other things that don't show up in the data.
Probably; right now all I have room for is the RaceTechnologies Dash3! And that's with no other gauges, just a few switches and warning lights...

I do have video, just not automatically integrated. Nice to have, but not critical, not for that car...
Old 01-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Goosebug
Intermediate

Yes, but not picture in picture (unless you do that yourself, after the fact). I have a number of folks that plug two or three cameras into the 4-port Data Hub. All charged, turned on and off, as well as supplied all information written on the video by the master logger. Vaughan, break down and buy a system that has been introduced since 2001! Both the DL1 and MyChron 3 came out in THAT year! Seriously, the MyChron 3 can't be upgraded to GPS (I assume that's why you have the DL1 and Dash-2) and can't send information to or control a SmartyCam! Sheesh! Call me, I'll help an old Racer University faculty member out... I would be willing to bet it is an MXL Pista (logger/display). Take a look on the lower left side of the dash and there should be a rubber flap over a earphone size plug. If you have a cable, and Matt or I can send you one, you can get that good info out of it! You should check to see if there is an AiM antenna on the roof. If not, we can help with that, too. You can buy an MXL2, if you want, but I would tune up what you have and begin using it. You can add a camera to that, if you wish. Let us know how we can help.
Where does the antenna attach to the Pista? Left or right rear of dash unit? Any recommendations of camera?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Where does the antenna attach to the Pista? Left or right rear of dash unit? Any recommendations of camera?
On the back of the Pista are two metal screw in connectors. One with a 4-pin receptacle, one with a 5-pin.

AFTER making SURE that the firmware has been updated to the latest release for the MXL, plug the antenna into the 5-pin connector (your CAN based GPS-05 antenna MUST have 5-pins to work with the MXL, if you have a 4-pin GPS-05B, that WON'T work, only will connect to a SmartyCam or SmartyCam HD camera).

Then, connect your download cable to the MXL, open RS2 and select Device Configuration. Select MXL, then select Go to. With the dash powered up, press the button "Receive" on the top of the page. This will suck down the configuration from the dash to your laptop.

Then, select the tab beneath the Receive/Transmit buttons that says System Configuration. Under "Speed Channel" on the top right of that page, select GPS Speed. Then transmit back to the dash.

Finally, download and open GPS Manager from AiM Sportline.com With the laptop open in GPS Manager and selecting the tracks you want to load onto the dash, press "Send" the track list to the dash.

I would be glad to talk about cameras offline. Please PM me, if that works for you.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Goosebug
Intermediate

On the back of the Pista are two metal screw in connectors. One with a 4-pin receptacle, one with a 5-pin. AFTER making SURE that the firmware has been updated to the latest release for the MXL, plug the antenna into the 5-pin connector (your CAN based GPS-05 antenna MUST have 5-pins to work with the MXL, if you have a 4-pin GPS-05B, that WON'T work, only will connect to a SmartyCam or SmartyCam HD camera). Then, connect your download cable to the MXL, open RS2 and select Device Configuration. Select MXL, then select Go to. With the dash powered up, press the button "Receive" on the top of the page. This will suck down the configuration from the dash to your laptop. Then, select the tab beneath the Receive/Transmit buttons that says System Configuration. Under "Speed Channel" on the top right of that page, select GPS Speed. Then transmit back to the dash. Finally, download and open GPS Manager from AiM Sportline.com With the laptop open in GPS Manager and selecting the tracks you want to load onto the dash, press "Send" the track list to the dash. I would be glad to talk about cameras offline. Please PM me, if that works for you.
Thanks much! How does one update firmware?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For an MXL, download the firmware update from here http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/firmware.htm. Then, when you are connected to your dash and it is powered up, run the firmware updater and it will update the dash and anything else connected that needs it.

For the MXL2 and MXG, you update from inside RS3.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Go to this page and download the AiM Firmware Updater program here:
http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...140521_WEB.exe

Run the program on the computer. Fire up the dash, connect to your computer and run the program by clicking on the icon on the desktop. LET IT FINISH.

The wizard will walk you through it. Should be all set!

Most people could benefit from this periodically.

Quick Reply: Data System/Approach for the Beginner