Notices

Weird Video on AIM

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2024 | 06:36 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Default Weird Video on AIM

I wasn't getting a good friction circle measure from the AIM feed, so I updated the Corsa/3 overlay to take it from GPS, but the values are wildly changing and brake pressure is barely registering even though source is the same (and measures taken from video shows good data)
See video and images.
Note: All data is from the video card and not downloaded from MXS dash..

I updated Corsa3 to with new overlay and the firmware to 1.13.14 from SD card.

The only changes to the overlay were
  1. Friction circle from AIM stream to GPS (no useful values from MXS)
  2. Tweaked Brake pressure to a peak of 1100 PSI from 1000 and a low of 5 instead of 0 to eliminate any noise. (But the SOURCE of brake pressure remained the same)
But clearly something is wrong.. Is this a bug or did I do something daffy?

** The brake measure is barely registering at all on video now even though the data is there. (See screen shot showing measures)
** The friction circle is changing so quickly that it is unreadable (See measures, it looks noisy too)

Measures

Overlay brake pressure

Overlay Friction - changed to GPS

Video:

Last edited by dan212; 09-12-2024 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2024 | 12:47 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

I'd guess the brake pressure is actually displaying in bar instead of PSI. Check the channel settings to make sure it is configured for PSI. 1000 PSI is about 70 bar and if the brake display is 0-1100 it's barely going to show up.

The friction circle is weird; what was the setting before? GPS lat/long Gs should be pretty smooth. Edit to add: the default GP3 unit of measure for GPS Lat/Long is 0.01; you have 0.1 which could be causing it to jump around instead of being a smooth G trace, especially with the little bumps and jumps inherent in driving a car fast. Worth trying adjusting back to the default of 0.01 and see if that helps.

Last edited by DTMiller; 09-13-2024 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Romanowski (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024 | 01:29 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

The only change I made for the brake display was to the scale from 0-1000 to 5-1100..
The source channel for brake pressure remained untouched and is the same. The measure is still in PSI. The data you see in measures is from the video file. (love this cool feature in Smarty3)

The Friction circle is definately wonky. I wasn't getting any good value from the dash (Chip shortage?), so I changed to GPS. The GPS measures data looks noisy.
Great suggestion to change from .1 to .01 - Thank you - I'll try that / Thanks! (See below)

Last edited by dan212; 09-13-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2024 | 01:52 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

I'd change the brake pressure to bar, send to the device, then change back to psi and again send to the device. I've seen this sort of wonkiness before. My device once upon a time was set to degree F but was sending degree C to the camera and labeling it degree F (in other words, if something was actually 212 F it would send 100 and the camera would record it as 100F). I changed that field to read in C, then to F and then it worked fine. No guarantee, but the aim version of turning it off and rebooting might solve it.
The following 2 users liked this post by DTMiller:
dan212 (09-13-2024), ProCoach (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024 | 02:01 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I'd change the brake pressure to bar, send to the device, then change back to psi and again send to the device. I've seen this sort of wonkiness before. My device once upon a time was set to degree F but was sending degree C to the camera and labeling it degree F (in other words, if something was actually 212 F it would send 100 and the camera would record it as 100F). I changed that field to read in C, then to F and then it worked fine. No guarantee, but the aim version of turning it off and rebooting might solve it.
Similar, our fuel shows in liters. it SAYS it's showing gallons, but unless someone installed a 63 gallon tank in our car, its actually displaying liters. I've tried the change back and forth and it didn't work, so I'm learning metric.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-13-2024 | 04:27 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Good old fashioned reset.. I'll try that.. Thanks

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-14-2024)
Old 09-20-2024 | 09:48 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

I tried with no joy. Changed config to bar. Flashed and loaded that config. Drive it around. Flashed and loaded back to PSI.

The data is on the video file but it barely shows on the brake bar.

Changed longitude from .1 to .01. But the friction circle is still gibberish ( data is noisy video meta data)

/Dan
Old 09-20-2024 | 09:49 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

I am going to take friction circle off because it's unusable

Sigh.....
Old 09-24-2024 | 10:52 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
I tried with no joy. Changed config to bar. Flashed and loaded that config. Drive it around. Flashed and loaded back to PSI.

The data is on the video file but it barely shows on the brake bar.

Changed longitude from .1 to .01. But the friction circle is still gibberish ( data is noisy video meta data)

/Dan
That stinks. To make the video brake display usable, you could try and convert the top and bottom range PSI values to bar and then use the bar values in the display. So, instead of 5 and 1100, you'd have 0 and 70 as the range in that field.

If the device is sending values in bar to the overlay, that will give you a usable display.
Old 09-24-2024 | 06:41 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

You are right, PSI or Bar.. It is just 0 to xxx
But
The sensor is returning data in PSI: 0-2000 PSI (XP05PSA2000P-18). Not sure would matter.

I could tell the SM3/Corsa that is Bar anyway... When I tried flashing to Bar and back to PSI to try to resaet (A good suggestion someone had made), it didn't really make a difference. but then again I hadn't changed the range and zipping around the paddock I wasn't generating that much brake pressure.

I might permanently changing from PSI to BAR, thats a great suggestion. Change range from 0-1100/PSI to 0-75/Bar. Good idea. Thank you.

What is weird is that all of this worked before.
I ONLY made a small tweak to the brake RANGE and friction circle source. But I did update camera firmware and RS3 version.
(No change to the dash or its configuration)
Seems like a bug.

AIM tech support did find one possible error in Dash config on my end: (even though it worked before)
I had two brake sensor values in the dash. The correct one (as described above) on Channel 4 and a non-existent sensor listed on Channel 5. My error: I should have cleared channel 5.
But I send to Smarty Stream Channel 4 as Brake Pressure, and the spurious data on channel 5 is just "Channel 5".
Still, That might be causing an issue with new firmware.

Its hard for me to make changes, because I am in NYC and the car is 85 miles away in NJ.

AIM is really trying to help here. They suggested a TeamViewer session to try to sort this out. When I am back with the car, we'll try that.

That stinks. To make the video brake display usable, you could try and convert the top and bottom range PSI values to bar and then use the bar values in the display. So, instead of 5 and 1100, you'd have 0 and 70 as the range in that field.

If the device is sending values in bar to the overlay, that will give you a usable display.

Last edited by dan212; 09-24-2024 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird Video on AIM