Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 12:49 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Display/alarm/log canbus + analog in small size

Hey all,

I'm looking for a solution that:
  • Displays, logs, and has alarms for CANBUS and Analog input data. (Analog oil temp, oil pressure)
  • Small enough to mount to the side of my OEM dash, I dont want a dash replacement
  • SLM support is a bonus
  • Second CANBUS is a bonus (my car is a swap running two ECUs. hah)
At this point there are cheaper solutions form CanChecked, etc that put this stuff in a 52mm gauge form factor. Seems kinda cheap, but might work.

But then as slopes are slippery, why not:
  • Get into Aim ecosystem so I can have lap timing w/ GPS and accelerometers
  • Have option to add SmartyCam

I've printed out 1:1 templates for the MXM and Solo 2 DL and I've decided the MXM is too big, but the Solo 2 DL would fit well off to the side. I believe I could add analog with the Channel Expander or ACC/2. The SLM will not work, but thats ok I guess. If I wanted to run a channel expander and a smarty cam, would I also need a CAN expansion hub? What's the optimal way to support a Solo 2 DL with 4 analog inputs and the potential to add a smartycam later? Any other options I'm missing?

Thanks

Last edited by txbdan; 05-20-2024 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:42 PM
txbdan
Pro

I just found that the Solo 2 DL doesn't have alarms. Is there any way to "hack" a notification out of it?
Old 05-27-2024, 06:22 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

I have an AIM evo4 and gs dash that I just pulled out of my ta2 car to replace with a bigger display. It will do everything you want, including shift lifhts. PM me if youre interested.

Basically this set up:
https://discoveryparts.com/products/...-display-w-gps
The following 3 users liked this post by claykos:
dan212 (05-28-2024), Matt Romanowski (05-27-2024), ProCoach (05-27-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 09:19 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

AIM EVO4 and GS dash is an excellent setup. While not quite the easy button of VBOX it is far more configurable and expandable allowing for custom sensors. The GS is the perfect size providing a lot of information in a small space. AIM does a good job of providing a lot of "how to" videos and you can be lazy like me and ask Peter and Matt.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 09:53 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,344 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Agree with @RobT 394 , the EVO4S/GS-Dash combo is superb. Compact, great value and powerful enough for 90% of the folks out there. I sold more than a hundred fifty of those when I was a leading AiM dealer.

Some people don't want or need a full size display, I know I don't in my historic cars.

It was my primary personal system for years until I upgraded to the EVO5.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-30-2024, 10:04 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...d-gs-dash.html

I posted it FS.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:24 AM
txbdan
Pro

My only hang up is that it cant do predictive lap timing light in the shift lights or even the external SLM

I’m leaning toward a Solo 2 DL with ACC2. Perfect form factor, can show me predictive lights. Just can’t do alarms or run an SLM. Also so close. Gah

I guess i need to decide between prioritizing lap timing or sensor monitoring. I guess my original criteria was the latter. I also have a Garmin catalyst in the car which is a great visual lap timer but that might go away eventually.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,344 Likes on 1,899 Posts

I think you need to follow your gut, here. If your original priority was alarms, which it should be if you're going to a system like this as opposed to the Catalyst, then DO that.

I find limited screen space a challenge for most drivers, which is why the most intelligent use of it is to highlight what is important as fewer and larger readouts in the display and THEN load up on alarms when critical measures go out of range.

I've crafted lap time gain loss, best lap and other timing measures to light the Alarm LED's on the GS-Dash. I think on the EVO4S, I know on the EVO5. I've found limited value for most drivers on the SLM for other than shift lights.

I highlight my qualy page with a large plus minus best lap value, then let the alarms take over if needed.

As long as you're using the Catalyst, the red/green plus minus is all you need there.
The following users liked this post:
RobT 394 (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:42 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

The display does predictive timing. Used it all the time. Never tried to program it to the lights but easily visible on the readout.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:56 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

You can most certainly program the alarm lights to be a form of predictive on ANY RS3 configured dash.
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
ProCoach (05-30-2024), RobT 394 (05-30-2024), txbdan (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 12:31 PM
freeride
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You can most certainly program the alarm lights to be a form of predictive on ANY RS3 configured dash.
That's how I have my PDM display set up. Top LEDs for RPM, and 2 of the side LEDs for predictive (green only, I hate any "red" light that isn't an emergency), with some alarms that overide if/when.

Quick Reply: Display/alarm/log canbus + analog in small size