Notices

VBOX HD Lite and AiM Sports Track Day Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 02:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

So, yes on updates to using the HD Lite and a correction to your assessment of the HD2 timeline. The latter first.

The HD2 came out in a V1 version for retail sale in June of 2016. It used the RLACS222 cameras, a 10 Hz GPS engine and 30 fps for two independent 1080p video streams picture in picture.

In 2018, the HD2 came out with a V5 version, 60 fps, same cameras and slightly cooler running processor. In 2019, the HD2 came out with the V6 version, which added an output board that permitted a live stream present at the HDMI 1.2 port for Camera 1, Camera 2 or both cameras with information rendered real-time (what would be seen on playback). Big improvement in overall operation with the V5 and V6, shorter boot times, less latency on live rendering, nice.

In 2022, after global shortages of CMOS sensors and GPS engines, the HD2 was updated to the V10 spec. This unit has a 25 Hz GPS engine, 30/60 fps, HDMI out and the new RLACS329 cameras, which have a slightly narrower FOV, MUCH better auto exposure control, better color balance and sharpness the RLACS222 could only dream about. So no, the current VBOX Video HD2 is nowhere close to the V1 that came out seven years ago. You have to remember, almost two out of the last three years of production were lost with the onset of Covid supply chain issues. That's begun to be behind us. It also forced AiM, Racelogic, MoTeC and every other device builder to source and build new boards/firmware/software around new components like processors, CMOS sensors and GPS (UBLOX) chips.

I'll write something separate on the HD Lite, but with the mod to equalize the power to the main board (since integrated into production) and with the new camera firmware update (not possible in the field), the units now are ready for primetime.

I'm building my own OBDII and AiM compatible cables so I can use mine plug and play for all of the coaching engagements I use my two HD Lite's for, but so far, the image quality and the after-the-fact information overlay is working great!

For the money, the HD Lite is an absolutely SMOKING deal.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
cafe_racer (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 03:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I haven't seen video posted from the HD light anywhere. Did I miss it?
Old 10-19-2023, 04:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, you missed it.

Here's a quick post-session render using VBOX Video and CAN data. No lag and even brake info from a 987.1 SPC car.

GroupJ (10-23-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 06:35 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Nice. That is the first time you posted video

Do they get the blue screen?
Old 10-19-2023, 07:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

Do they get the blue screen?
No, because no user gets the chance to pull the cable out of the back of the camera PC board. All self contained.

Please s#!t on someone else's thread.
Old 10-20-2023, 12:13 AM
SterlingatBOM
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I sh#t you not, coach. Lol

I appreciate the details on the HD2 updates. I don’t get paid to coach these days so my focus isn’t on the ability to transfer from car to car and immediate feedback. My time instructing is spent how you would expect. Safety first, then looking for lap time.

I have a Solo 2DL and a Garmin and plan on offloading both for a Vbox as I run a MacBook and through many years of karting with AIM’s software I have never liked AIM’s software. I have enjoyed racelogic’s much more.
ProCoach (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 09:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, you are not alone in the challenges of navigating AiM software. The reason why there are hundreds of explanatory videos and even dozens of sites, many by dealers, trying to walk people through the process of configuring, logging, displaying and interpreting the information collected.

Finally, a decade and a half after competitors made available synced video within the analysis window relatively common (CDS, Traqmate, Racelogic, Race Technology, Race-Keeper, MoTeC, Cosworth, R2, Bosch, Garmin and Magnetti Marelli all had this available in the last decade to decade and a half), AiM has integrated this great feature.

In the original post, I highlighted two extremely simple, integrated modules that were ideally suited for portable installations for coaching and instruction. I think the Garmin is a worthy addition to this list.

While I have used both the SDL/S2DL-SCHD and the HD Lite reliably now, I have personally found that it is simpler, hence much quicker, to perform a meaningful sector analysis that identifies the HOW and WHY some driver is able to “do better” (usually in a lap other than their best), hence do more of that.

The construction of a video Ideal lap so questions can easily be answered helps too. Gets rid of pesky DE traffic, too!

I think the downside of the HD Lite is still that most cars provide the CAN info needed through a direct connection. I use Posi-Taps and can usually be fully installed in fifteen minutes on most cars, but there are still instances where the AiM has more broad and easier connection modes for car information.

That said, for decades, good coaches have used forces acting on the car in all axis to “see” the result of driver control inputs accurately and reliably. Thats all I need to take apart even Sebring 12-Hour, Daytona 24-Hour and LeMans 24-Hour class and overall winners, so there is that.

There is no question that the packaging of the HD2 is problematic for temporary isntalls, although I used one for six years as my provided tool for coaching engagements, sometimes in addition to the AiM Track Kit. Now, I don’t have to, so I’ve sold my HD2 and can rely upon the HD-Lite. If someone wants a souvenir video with logos, car info (sssuming it’s connected) or just speed, G’s, heading and a map, I can do that in no time after the session.

All good tools. Just need to use the one that works best for you,
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
GroupJ (10-23-2023), KNSBrakes (10-20-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 01:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The latest HD Lite video. Pretty cool ride along.

The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
GC996 (11-05-2023), KNSBrakes (10-30-2023), stellman (11-01-2023)

Quick Reply: VBOX HD Lite and AiM Sports Track Day Kit