Notices

AIM Smarty Cam 3 Sport chopped video

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 02:55 PM
I8URV8
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM Smarty Cam 3 Sport chopped video

I am using a Solo2 DL coupled to a SmartyCam 3 Sport. The setup is installed in a Porsche 996 and unfortunately the ecu channels are extremely sparse. That aside, when I download the video from a track session of 10 laps, the camera is splitting up the laps into individual files, but the laps are incomplete. Furthermore, RPM is not being recorded and speed is in km/hour even though I have set everything to mph.
I am not impressed with this system's ease of use...
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

What are the recording parameters in the S2DL and is it working correctly?
Old 06-12-2023, 04:55 PM
I8URV8
3rd Gear

It appears to be working. I have not downloaded any data directly to my computer, but the data is showing up on the video, some of it anyways. As I said, speed is in km/hr, no rpm. Lat and inline acc are there. I set all of the parameters through rs3. Start recording parameters are set to "any" rpm 2500 or speed 30mph.
I am looking at the video with rs3 now and I can see speed in mph on the graph but the speed on the video is km/hr. Each file is only a clip of approx 15-25 seconds with the longest one being just over a minute.
From browsing through all of the forums, I gather there is not much functionality from the ecu for the early (2001) 996 models. I selected the pre loaded bosch ecu in rs3. Do I need to pick up rpm elsewhere?
Old 06-12-2023, 05:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

There isn't much available from that ECU.

When you look at the data, does it start or stop at 2,500 rpm or 30 mph? My guess is that you are losing those parameters and it stops logging. Set them to 500 rpm or 10 mph. Camera set to record 1 minute after stop, power off in 30 minutes. Video units are set in the camera config.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:58 PM
I8URV8
3rd Gear

It is not picking up RPM. All of the clips start and stop at speeds over 60mph. I set the speed units to mph on the smarty cam also. Shouldn't I be able to pick up rpm off of the ecu?
Old 06-12-2023, 06:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by I8URV8
From browsing through all of the forums, I gather there is not much functionality from the ecu for the early (2001) 996 models. I selected the pre loaded bosch ecu in rs3. Do I need to pick up rpm elsewhere?
From my experience, I believe the ECU Make: Bosch and Model: Porsche_911 (996) outlined here: https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...-2_102_eng.pdf works ONLY via direct connection on 2002 MY and after (996 Mk2). The connection is a grey/blue twisted pair.

It's a very good basic package of channels that includes a good throttle pedal channel, RPM, water temp, brake light switch (on/off) and some other temps and pressures. The wire to connect to is below or behind (towards the door opening) the drivers side footwell fuse box. This also works on 2002 and later 986 Boxsters, as well. The connection is a grey/blue twisted pair. The white AiM CAN+ goes to grey, the blue AiM CAN- goes to blue.

The earlier models (1998-2001) are pretty crappy and can only use the OBDII. The RPM and throttle using ECU Make: OBDII, Model: ISO9141-2 is just too slow to give anything but a choppy, slowly refreshed TPS and RPM signal. No brake info, but there is water temp. Just a function of the age and slow communications within the car.

Let us know what you have.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: AIM Smarty Cam 3 Sport chopped video