Notices

AIM Steering Wheel 4 issues and firmware update

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 01:10 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 619 Posts
Default AIM Steering Wheel 4 issues and firmware update

I got AIM SW4 steering wheel in my Radical, and it's showing snow (random pixels) instead of data fields half the time when the car is started. I was hoping a firmware update would fix it but when I try to update firmware using RaceStudio3 (latest), the progress bar gets to about 95%-98% and then goes back to about 90% and keeps doing it forever. Designing a progress bar that goes in both directions without explanation is a below rookie level, by the way, but we've got to make do with what we have. The longest I had the patience to wait was over 30 minutes - seems like too long? Should I just wait longer or is there some trick to it? I can download data and change settings completely fine, so the connection works well. Appreciate any insight.

Also, any leads on Spartycam 3 Duo in stock? I bought one at two places and both are out for over a month now
Old 04-23-2023, 08:52 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I am out of Dual cameras but have some Corsa and GP. With the various semiconductor shortages, different items are hard to get.

I'd needs some more details on the wheel. There are a few that are custom for Radical based on the layout, and then there are some that are locked. Radical and AiMShop have created a problem in how they configured and locked some of the wheels, so it's likely that you have a FW and software issue. I'm not super up to date on them, but if you talk to the guys at AiM, they will be able to tell you which can be update and which you can change things on.

Old 04-23-2023, 03:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

If you talk to the Radical guys, they can help, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-24-2023, 02:47 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 619 Posts

The dealer talked to Radical, and they are aware. Hopefully they will fix it soon. The update I was trying to install does not fix the issue anyway, so installation issues are a moot point.

This issue ruined the first race of the season for me already. I went four wheels off and stalled the engine avoiding a pile-up on the second corner of the first lap, and I had to restart the electrical system 5 times for the wheel to finally boot up. The engine could not start with the wheel frozen because the car would not shift into neutral when the wheel glitches. That cost me almost 2 minutes on the side of the track in a sprint race where top 10 cars are within a second per lap. Took the last place ahead of the DNFs :-(

Also, the sapphire glass on the Smartycam 3 Sport lasted only one race - cracked in half. I hoped they'd be better since it's sapphire. I hope the bullet cam from Duo will do better because it's a smaller target for rocks.

Quick Reply: AIM Steering Wheel 4 issues and firmware update