Notices

Demonstration of native data logging in Porsche via EXLAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 06:57 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

So having asked the question, I was already curious so I dumped a VBO file to look. Confirms that several interesting things aren't there (wheel speeds being a big one, yes!).

Also: it seems that the file that is exported crashes Circuit Tools if you try and open it. I used the Jorg Burgmeister sample lap that comes with the app now so I think the source is OK...but the exported file just face plants Circuit Tools. Perhaps no surprise because a quick visual inspection of the VBO file content suggests the header area info is in a quite different format shape :/
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 07:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
So having asked the question, I was already curious so I dumped a VBO file to look. Confirms that several interesting things aren't there (wheel speeds being a big one, yes!).

Also: it seems that the file that is exported crashes Circuit Tools if you try and open it. I used the Jorg Burgmeister sample lap that comes with the app now so I think the source is OK...but the exported file just face plants Circuit Tools. Perhaps no surprise because a quick visual inspection of the VBO file content suggests the header area info is in a quite different format shape :/
Yep. I use .vbo natively, so your application is all greek to me.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-04-2023, 09:48 PM
malloc
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

This is awesome. I’ve been building an app for track days and spirited drives, kind of like Strava for cars: www.trackattack.app

I’ve added PIP video, Apple Watch HR, logging all sensor data, a track UI and a road UI with navigation and unlimited waypoints, easy data export. Basically the ultimate enthusiast app I’ve always wanted. The next big feature I’m working on is vehicle connectivity with OBD and/or other vehicle data connection. I’ll spend some time looking into this after I’m done with OBD!

Last edited by malloc; 06-05-2023 at 12:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by malloc:
edub (06-04-2023), MaddGTS (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 11:43 PM
edub
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That's because the messaging is the same on the PT CAN.
Exlap isn't on the CAN (but I'll wager the data arrives to the exlap service via CAN), that's what's kinda cool is if you can auth to the exlap service you don't need to care about what format anything is in, you just ask what the car has and dump that data.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:56 PM
edub
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Are there useful and/or interesting channel/signals with data here that cannot also be found in the VBO exported data from the Precision Track App??

In your original post, you mention wanting as a goal to use the data with other logging systems -- do you mean you want to examine data with other logging systems analysis apps (so i2pro, Circuit Tools, Race Studio 3, Atlas, etc)??

Depending on what you are trying to do and what you want to see by way of signals, the VBO format is already a documented text file that isn't that hard to morph into formats that some of these other software tools can ingest.
https://github.com/edub0/EXLAP/blob/...ation.txt#L177 links to a meta data dump of the types of data that were present in a short drive. Many of these data fields are already most popular loggers CAN support, but weird and unique stuff like, gearing, wheel sensors, tire temps, if the window is down or not, that stuff is interesting and unique to Porsche which could be interesting to log.

​I was really hoping that wheel height and velocity would be logged but it looks like that's stuck in the PASM controller.

Quick Reply: Demonstration of native data logging in Porsche via EXLAP