Notices

ODBII data logger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 08:21 PM
lordvonpineapple
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Just did a quick google, and I suspect you could be right about the 1HZ GPS. I will test to see. My app is for enthusiast's not for records or competitions. But some comparative testing will need to be done for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (09-24-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 08:41 AM
lordvonpineapple
Advanced

Originally Posted by edub
You may just have to test that to really figure it out. When I used to turn laps with a 5Hz GPS logger lap times were always within +/-0.1 second of a AMB transponder time, and more than 50% of the time they were less than 0.1 of a second off the transponder time. I imagine the 25Hz GNSS location systems will be improved over that.

I have not looked lately, but in 2018 phones were generally 1Hz for their location updates. Probably still pretty accurate, but I would protest the results from any competition in which 1Hz GPS signal was used to measure results in motorsport
Yeah, you're correct. 1HZ GPS updates in an iPhone. But... the inbuilt accelerometer (G-forces) are not 1HZ, they are much much faster. So I can interpolate between 1HZ updates (after the fact, using accelerometer data to enhance accuracy). I love a maths problem. This should give better accuracy than no interpolation, or just linear interpolation. But I agree with you that this should not be used for motorsport competition.
The following 2 users liked this post by lordvonpineapple:
aryork (10-13-2023), ProCoach (10-08-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 10:48 PM
lordvonpineapple
Advanced

Originally Posted by lordvonpineapple
Yeah, you're correct. 1HZ GPS updates in an iPhone. But... the inbuilt accelerometer (G-forces) are not 1HZ, they are much much faster. So I can interpolate between 1HZ updates (after the fact, using accelerometer data to enhance accuracy). I love a maths problem. This should give better accuracy than no interpolation, or just linear interpolation. But I agree with you that this should not be used for motorsport competition.
Yes, so while the GPS hardware and libraries in the iPhone only provide GPS location updates at 1Hz, the accelerometer and altimeter can provide updates at 100Hz. So you can use the acceleration forces to interpolate position between the hard GPS locations. Will require smoothing functions and won't ever be as accurate as a real, faster, better GPS hardware, but hey its free and lots of people already have them in their pocket.

Quick Reply: ODBII data logger?