Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts
Default Brake Performance Graphing

I posted this on my IG, but I thought people here might like to see it as well. A neat way to use Scatter plots is to look at brake pressure versus long G. That gives you the consistency (hysteresis) of the brake pads. You can see that you slow at the same Long G with 2 different brake pressures. This is usually the heat sensitivity of the pad. You can also color the friction circle by brake pressure or any other sensor that you have. It's a really powerful way to look at some data.

Brake Pressure vs. Long G colored by Temp.

Friction Circle for just this brake zone/corner.

Brake Pressure vs. Long G colored by Lat G.

The whole profile in RS3 Analysis.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Romanowski:
Kein_Ersatz (07-13-2022), kristap (07-16-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:54 AM
ydd
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

These are great @Matt Romanowski One thing I've found worth considering when interpreting these kinds of x-y plots is what else is going on. In this case you might find that both speed and gradient also affect this brake pressure verses long g plot. As you're using AiM you can correct your long g slope effect with a maths channel. The maths for that is linked below but I think you've seen this already.

https://www.yourdatadriven.com/how-h...your-analysis/

The other thing is speed. So often the faster you go the more drag you have which effects your deceleration - you might find you can get more deceleration for the same brake pressure application simply because you're going faster. The friction circle is really a g-g-v plot ... ie. your lateral and longitudinal g potential changes with speed. Each car is different so I've found it worth keeping an eye on this. For example a "non-aero" car or kart can have a pretty linear g-g-v curve for lateral acceleration. An "aero" car can have a highly non-linear g-g-v plot. If you want to see an F1 car's g-g-v plot, scroll to the bottom of this article for a picture I took of Jeff Willis explaining this at a conference some years ago.

https://www.yourdatadriven.com/frict...-introduction/

Hope that helps and looking forward to seeing what you come up with next !

The following 2 users liked this post by ydd:
Kein_Ersatz (07-13-2022), ProCoach (07-13-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 11:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Very cool...thanks matt

Quick Reply: Brake Performance Graphing